jclalor

Too close for comfort.

On Friday at the boogie in Davis, may be twenty seconds after opening and at about 2300 ft, I looked behind me to see a canopy spiraling down at me. For a split second I thought of dissconecting my RSL and cutting away. She cut away pretty much as I was going for my RSL, I'm a bad judge of distance but she seemed pretty damm close.

Edited to add that I did not shoot this video, I was pretty close to right below her as she starts spiraling.

Nothing she did wrong and I was glad to see she was fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFzvr-YMxU

Why would you disconnect your RSL prior to cutting away? In two out situations it is sometimes needed but I'm trying to figure out a time that it would be needed when you have just a single canopy out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

For a split second as I watched her spiral, she went out of view above my canopy, I had no idea if she was going to come crashing thru the top of my canopy. I fly a huge canopy and there was no fast way for me to leave the situation outside of cutting away and falling to may be 1500 ft before deploying.

It all happened very fast.

Why would you not just turn away from the other canopy after quickly looking to clear airspace?

Matt

It seemed to me that her diving and spiraling canopy would cover much more distance than my 250 sf canopy.

I was already heading away from her.

Freeze at 21 sec., then advance by frame. You will then see the OP's canopy in straight/level flight nearly directly below the spiraling one.

I'll agree that yup - absolutely, that was indeed, quite "close enough"!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

If you can still edit your post, you should add that this is outside video. I assumed it was your perspective like the others did.

ETA: Yes, once I understood where you were, I completely understood your question. I'd have felt the same way.
Owned by Remi #?

If you can still edit your post, you should add that this is outside video. I assumed it was your perspective like the others did.

I edited the post, I have a watched it a couple of times on a big screen and assumed everyone would see it how I did.

You have a lot of control inputs - 4 risers, and 2 toggles. I would focus on learning how to use those to the point that you've go them mastered. Your first though in how to get away from someone should not be fumbling with an RSL and cutting away. Fly your parachute wherever you want it to go - away from someone if necessary.

Glad it worked out for everyone!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Gnarly! Was that two guys doing crew resulting in the entaglement followed by cutaway with one flying close by you after chopping? or are my eyes decieving me?

No crew entanglement, she had line twist and tension knots and that's her reserve opening 75ft away from me.

What was really weird was this was the exact spot where I saw a canopy collision below me that resulted in a fatality two years ago.

You have a lot of control inputs - 4 risers, and 2 toggles. I would focus on learning how to use those to the point that you've go them mastered. Your first though in how to get away from someone should not be fumbling with an RSL and cutting away. Fly your parachute wherever you want it to go - away from someone if necessary.

_Am

I'm all ears, I am almost 50, over 6'2 and 240, I fly a very conservative solo 250sf canopy. If I get a very good grip on my fronts I can yank them down a couple inches. Outside of heading in the opposite direction ( that's what I did ) what could I do? When you look up behind you and you see a canopy spiraling down at you that fast and then your view is blocked because it's went above your canopy and you think that you could collide in a second or two, it sucks.

_Am

I'm all ears, I am almost 50, over 6'2 and 240, I fly a very conservative solo 250sf canopy. If I get a very good grip on my fronts I can yank them down a couple inches. Outside of heading in the opposite direction ( that's what I did ) what could I do? When you look up behind you and you see a canopy spiraling down at you that fast and then your view is blocked because it's went above your canopy and you think that you could collide in a second or two, it sucks.

Hey Dudes,

most mistakes are not made at the point the happening is ... they are made long before.
How can she be "on top" of you on opening? Did you run under her? Don't you go 90° from the junprun till you have your following jumpers with good canopies in sight and then turn to DZ? Or did she first fly over your had and then had a malfunction? Did she took enough time between the exits? Did she do her freefall work in 90° to jumprun .... many possible mistakes.
Work with your jumpmates on that issues then you don't have to think about a cut away over your had.

Always Blue Sky
Holger

Why would you disconnect your RSL prior to cutting away? In two out situations it is sometimes needed but I'm trying to figure out a time that it would be needed when you have just a single canopy out.

Did you say that backwards? Did you really mean:
2-out not needed
Single canopy needed?

If not, would you please explain your reasoning for saying it's needed in some 2-out situations and why it wouldn't be needed in a 1-out?

Or, maybe I just read the entire post wrong.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

2-out not needed
Single canopy needed?

If not, would you please explain your reasoning for saying it's needed in some 2-out situations and why it wouldn't be needed in a 1-out?

I think Phree means in a Two Out Situation it is some times needed to Release the RSL, and in a single canopy it is not needed (Normally) to release the RSL.

At least that is how I read it.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

For a split second I thought of dissconecting my RSL and cutting away

Don't ever cut away a good canopy because something bad 'might' happen. Did you clear the airspace below you? What if you avoid one wrap and casue another?

What if you unload your canopy, and it floats up into the path of the oncoming jumper, even thuogh she otherwise might have flown above you? Now you caused a wrap when you would have just had 'no shit, there I was' story.

What if your resere malfunctions?

The bottom line is also my first line, don't cut away a good canopy because something bad 'might' happen. Many, many wraps end in both canopies bouncing off of each other, and flying away just fine. Even a close call is just a close call, and if she flew by you 3 inches from your canopy, that's still 3 inches and no need to cutaway. The idea is to 'see and avoid' traffic, and only take drastic action when it's absolutely needed.

_Am

Hey Dudes,

most mistakes are not made at the point the happening is ... they are made long before.
How can she be "on top" of you on opening? Did you run under her? Don't you go 90° from the junprun till you have your following jumpers with good canopies in sight and then turn to DZ? Or did she first fly over your had and then had a malfunction? Did she took enough time between the exits? Did she do her freefall work in 90° to jumprun .... many possible mistakes.
Work with your jumpmates on that issues then you don't have to think about a cut away over your had.

Always Blue Sky
Holger

We left the skyvan first and the cutaway group second, we were all on our bellies. on opening, at 3000 ft, I saw all of my group in view and then headed straight back to land. the cutaway did open high, may be 4000 ft. I did not see her until she started the spin because she was straight above me.

2-out not needed
Single canopy needed?

I think Phree means in a Two Out Situation it is some times needed to Release the RSL, and in a single canopy it is not needed (Normally) to release the RSL.

At least that is how I read it.

From context, I got the impresion that the OP considered disconnecting his RSL prior to cutaway so to as to be able to freefall out of what he perceived as the "danger zone".

On Friday at the boogie in Davis, may be twenty seconds after opening and at about 2300 ft, I looked behind me to see a canopy spiraling down at me. For a split second I thought of dissconecting my RSL and cutting away. She cut away pretty much as I was going for my RSL, I'm a bad judge of distance but she seemed pretty damm close.

Edited to add that I did not shoot this video, I was pretty close to right below her as she starts spiraling.

Nothing she did wrong and I was glad to see she was fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFzvr-YMxU

In the video she looks pretty damn close. If I'm understanding you correctly she was spiraling down over you and you lost sight of her because your canopy was blocking your view. That would scare the hell out of me. If I'm understanding correctly you were considering chopping your main to avoid what you perceived as soon to be an imminent collision. I assume you wanted to release your RSL so you could get some distance between her and you before deploying your reserve. Sounds like a reasonable consideration to me. If I saw a canopy spiraling toward me and thought I was about to be clocked, circumstances being the same as yours, I'd consider chopping as an option.
There are a lot of what ifs being offered by others here and they are valid. Here are some what ifs I think are just as valid. What if you had not seen her or you balked and she did crash into you. What if your canopies wrapped up. What if you both were injured badly enough or unconscious so as not to be able to cutaway. Just some food for thought and I'm very glad everything turned out ok for both of you.