iwasinkheson68

Flat 360s in a ws

Hey guys,
Is it possible to do a 360 flat spin in a Wingsuit? I've had two flat spins, but not exactly controlled, or an a manner I'm keen to re-live.... I'm jumping a phantom 2 and can do barrel rolls and front and backflips without any dramas but can't quite figure out spins.
Any ideas?
M

With enough speed you can do 360's, but 'flat' is not what they'll be. Its mostly speed built up before that keeps you up (similar to transitions in a windtunnel, cupping air before a move is made).

On my back and belle I mostly seem to work from the shoulders when initiating a 360, most often used to get behind a formation when doing camera underneath on my back.

Its not a move you'd wanna do in front of people or inside a formation, as its mostly akin to a car doing a 360 on a highway. Only moderatly in control, with a high potential of hurting others. Sadly seen a very experienced jumper do this a few to many times in a lame effort to impress, where almost everyone else thought it was mostly dumb and dangerous...

Be carefull, be safe...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

As already mentioned works well with shoulders leading, but have found cleanest 360's when carrying good forward speed then turning as I flare out then accelerate out back into full flight as turn completes. Practice at high altitude as if you lose stability you may go onto your back and spin but should not be a problem.

Have fun

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Its not a move you'd wanna do in front of people or inside a formation, as its mostly akin to a car doing a 360 on a highway. Only moderatly in control, with a high potential of hurting others. Sadly seen a very experienced jumper do this a few to many times in a lame effort to impress, where almost everyone else thought it was mostly dumb and dangerous...

yikes, we must be talking about the infamous j-curve
yea, kids - don't try this at home!! :P
it's a nice "hold my beer and watch this" kinda thing.

Be carefull, be safe...

+1
think of it like doing a 360 with your canopy in front of someone else's canopy flying your way or in close proximity... most of the time shit's gonna be fine... except for when it isn't ;)

otherwise, spins are plenty fun to try if you have lots of clear airspace around you. but you need to be SURE that you have that airspace. cause there's only so much in your field of view once you start turning... and depending on your level of control, your turn may be more "in place" or more "all over the sky".

i have a pretty good video of a "J-curve" in it, pretty wild if you can control it!

If you're going to "brand name" it now...I have video of Scotty Burns doing this maneuver in 2007, except he's doing it where it belongs.
Well above and approach from the side vs the back.
OB has a move like this too, but like KungFu Panda...he does it where it's not a threat to others.

If you're going to "brand name" it now...

It's not a brand name - if you watch a person do it, it traces out a shape like a "J".
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Hey guys,
Is it possible to do a 360 flat spin in a Wingsuit? I've had two flat spins, but not exactly controlled, or an a manner I'm keen to re-live.... I'm jumping a phantom 2 and can do barrel rolls and front and backflips without any dramas but can't quite figure out spins.
Any ideas?
M

It's been done for awhile now, except it was known as rock skipping or "skipping the stone" by some back then. The first person I am aware of doing it intentionally and in a controlled manner was Kim Griffin (some here may remember her ). Cancer Chris would also pull off this move every now and then when we were in small groups, he was pretty good at it too.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Skipping stones? J-curve?

Everyone who owns a wingsuit does one at some point. Are we seriously debating who invented a 360 degree turn haha. I know I did, just learning to do turns.

Save it for the 'important milestones in wingsuit history' chapter of the new book man:P

Ill just stick to refering to a '360 degree turn' as a '360 degree turn' if nobody else minds? Or can I coin it the 'jarno special' and say I did it first as well...:ph34r:

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Can I coin a frontloop the "Mc-Flop"
Anyone have some further rules on how this naming thing works?

Or should we just stick to calling it 'a 360' and add the word 'dangerous' when someone does it in front of a formation?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

To those missing the context of my 'rude' one-liners...

When you're doing a 2 plane bigway with +- 30 people, everyone in that large group does a safe,smooth, controlled approach.
Yet one person felt the insecure need to show off, and do a stupid fast dive THROUGH that very group, than flare way up into airspace where other flyers are sinking in from above him, and than do a 'not fully in control' 360 in front of that same group. I wont even mention the 'straight into full flight' at seperation....

After the jump, I heard a double dozen people comment on that very move. And every comment included the line 'idiot', 'a**hole' or other similar mention.....including one well known and respected person from the community vouching to never exit an airplane with that same person ever again.

Nobody liked it. Nobody thought it was cool. Nobody is keen on seeing that kind of behavior in large groups. If you want to show of aerobatic skills, or other dangerous antics, thats what 2 ways are for.
Dont do those in front and midway through a bigway group that didnt ask, nor was anyone briefed on what he was planning...

Plan the jump, jump the plan....be safe and live to jump the next day...
Its old words...but words to live by...

If you want to show off....for sure..but pick the right time, the right move....or choose to fly camera outside of the flock and do it underneath or somewhere where you dont end up killing another person of you misjudge your dive, flare or turn...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I hope they got binned for that little stunt, i had a 19 way were someone decided to pull a similar tactic but they hit my legs, I was bruised but nothing more , as I was leading the flock I fortunately had my camera mounted backwards so no excuses were valid. Just stupid flying. We had a chat....
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I hope they got binned for that little stunt, i had a 19 way were someone decided to pull a similar tactic but they hit my legs, I was bruised but nothing more , as I was leading the flock I fortunately had my camera mounted backwards so no excuses were valid. Just stupid flying. We had a chat....

You have different safety standards over there than we do here.

I got a PM from a participant noting the 25 way vertical event also had some cowboy action going on that scared the sh*t out of him. With a similar high speed approach and turn through/in front of a group.

YouTube (at the 0:39 mark)

A camera doing some carving around a group within his/her skill level, for sure. But someone who's inside the formation, not focussing on safety, and a safe, clean and controlled approach but playing iceman instead?
Try that on ANY serious FS or Freefly event, and you're grounded...

Eager to hear what action the organizers took against that person.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?