skydiverkeith

Cloud carving

I always try to carve clouds (its my ABSOLUTE favorite skydiving activity!) and one of two things happen.

1) I never reach the cloud
2) I carve the cloud for a bit getting closer and closer, but at some point I always penetrate some part of the cloud.

Is it unusual that even though I don't like being in a cloud I feel compelled to fly as close to it as possible, but then get upset when I end up inside of it?! WTF!

Surely I can't be alone. Why aren't more skydivers making a point of this type of activity (other than proximity flyers)

I've only attempted this twice with a wingsuit, but many, many times on tracking dives (tracking, I have a fall rate in the upper 70s)
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Is it unusual that even though I don't like being in a cloud I feel compelled to fly as close to it as possible, but then get upset when I end up inside of it?! WTF!

Now extra-polerate this experience to the low experience flyers who end up taking a wingsuit of a cliff with little to no experience, and try this thing with rocks (less forgiving than clouds when it comes to 'being inside')

That said, cloud surfing is what most wingsuit skydivers live forB|.
And it doesnt take tutorials, long write-ups or anything else to learn to do this but experience!
Judging your jump numbers you now have a max of 9 wingsuit jumps, give it another 20 or 30 and you'll notice you're getting better and better at judging distances and your projected flight path past a certain cloud..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If you penetrate the cloud you're doing it wrong ... read Jokke Sommers guide to proximity flying! and learn a thing or two about how to proximity fly.

Dude, clouds aren't rocks.

Methods of flying that are critical to your long term survival in proximity flying are completely unimportant in cloud surfing except as a matter of personal preference.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think he isnt saying clouds are a good way of learning to proximity fly or basejump.

But just saying proximity flying guidelines could assist in learning to carve past clouds. With the added bonus of not getting killed if you get it wrong, and end up inside the cloud.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I didn't think he was, I'm just saying that the right way to fly proximity isn't right or wrong when it comes to clouds but simply a matter of personal preference.

With rock you need your reserve - with clouds you can go fast, slow, steep, shallow, round it or through bits of it - which ever way you like doing it.

Judging your jump numbers you now have a max of 9 wingsuit jumps, give it another 20 or 30 and you'll notice you're getting better and better at judging distances and your projected flight path past a certain cloud..

What the hell! >:( So you just ASSume I'm a conservative skydiver who actually waited 200 jumps to try out a wingsuit like a good little boy?! :) How dare you! I'm a wild skydiver! :o I've only got 209 skydives, but I started wingsuit flying on AFF-5! :S

Actually, you're right. :$ I just wanted to see what it was like to be the trolling ass for a second. :P

I've got 4 wingsuit jumps so far (starting with number 1 on jump 205), so I'm very new to this...

BUT MY NEW PHANTOM 2 IS ON ORDER! :)
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

This stuff will all get a lot easier when you get your own suit, and learn to fly it, and learn what its excact range is in terms of distance/speed/swoop etc.

Its all the little things that help you judge excactly how far you can fly, and if you can reach that one edge of a cloud to swoop past...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Actually, you're right. :$ I just wanted to see what it was like to be the trolling ass for a second. :P

Young troll padawan... you too many winkies. To troll effectively you have to be able to say the most outrageous of things with 100% seriousness.

I've got 4 wingsuit jumps so far (starting with number 1 on jump 205), so I'm very new to this...

The little I can offer is basically what Purple Mike (who I think we can all safely agree is a true puffy hound) taught me. Dive down toward the line that you want to run, generating as much speed as you can, then when you hit the line, plane out and punch it. You'll generate a crapton of lift and make that puffy your little bitc.... :)

If you penetrate the cloud you're doing it wrong ... read Jokke Sommers guide to proximity flying! and learn a thing or two about how to proximity fly.

Dude, clouds aren't rocks.

Methods of flying that are critical to your long term survival in proximity flying are completely unimportant in cloud surfing except as a matter of personal preference.

See attachment

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But just saying proximity flying guidelines could assist in learning to carve past clouds.

I didn't think he was, I'm just saying that the right way to fly proximity isn't right or wrong when it comes to clouds but simply a matter of personal preference.

I was ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The other bit.

What other bit? I'm not saying there is a right and a wrong way. I'm just saying that penetrating the cloud ends your flight so why not learn to fly so that you don't.

The bit you didn't quote from Jarno's post.

The other bit.

What other bit? I'm not saying there is a right and a wrong way. I'm just saying that penetrating the cloud ends your flight so why not learn to fly so that you don't.

Or get an instrument rating.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Come to Houston: The land of 16,000+ foot Puffies! I'll show you how to surf a fat one B|

Purple Mike

I caught a nice one sunday at Dallas from 6500 down to 4500 and got some great video. I wish it went all the way up! I've been to Waller before. Do you jump out there, or Rosharon?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

The other bit.

Or get an instrument rating.

Instrument rating for skydivers? USPA must have just recently added that.

Come to Houston: The land of 16,000+ foot Puffies! I'll show you how to surf a fat one B|

Purple Mike

I caught a nice one sunday at Dallas from 6500 down to 4500 and got some great video. I wish it went all the way up! I've been to Waller before. Do you jump out there, or Rosharon?

I jump at both dropzones. Contact me anytime if you are planning to be in the area. We will have another wingsuit rodeo event on Aug 14-15 at Spaceland B|

Purple Mike