Birdman_Mike

New Docked Challenge Record: Double foot dock on backflyer for 7+ seconds!

The current docked challenge record is now a double foot dock on a backflyer that was held for 7+ seconds. According to the rules posted at www.flockuniversity.org, this four point formation is the current winner since it has been held longer than any other four point formation.

The wingsuiters are Nick Wright, Alex Frey (Potter), and Purple Mike. Adrian Binnion flew video.

The full video is on my facebook wall, and it will be posted on YouTube soon.

This jump was made on Saturday, March 13 at Skydive Houston ... The Wingsuit Capital of Texas B|

Thanks to everyone for working with me for the past few weekends on foot docks. Two weeks ago Nick Wright made a foot dock on me immediately after exit until 4500 feet! As far as I know, this is the longest foot dock on a wingsuit. Brian Voils was also on that jump, but unfortunately we had no video. We have really pushed foot docks at Skydive Houston lately, and I know that we will continue to have more success at Flock and Dock this week!

Purple Mike

excellent work, you guys!! and good job Mike for organizing and getting people to practice!

can't wait to see people top that and complete a diamond or something

Flock n Dock sounds more and more promising!

edit: the challenge entry you submitted to FlockU has been approved and is now featured on the site: clicky

Excelent work guys!
Happy to see this skilled flying being pushed as an accomplishment.

Am I wrong though when I see a docked formation for 3 seconds instead of 7. Doesnt the count start the moment a formation is completed (A new count starting with every added dock).

Cant wait to see which group with Mike as a base scores higher:P
Awesome flying Mike, I hope we see more people push the sport as active, driven and enthousiastic as you.
Looking forward to flying with you at f&d!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Andrea,

The current point system doesn't include backflying. Do ya' think that should be a consideration? What if the dock points are 50% greater for both people backflying? As in:

hand dock, both belly ... 1 pt
hand dock, both back ... 1.5 pts
hand dock, one each ... 1.25 pts

foot dock, both belly ... 2 pts
foot dock, both back ... 3 pts
foot dock, one each ... 2.5 pts

That would make Mike's pic 5 pts. I'm not sure that's fair if you consider that's equivalent (point-wise) to a 6 person docked line, but it would take into account the greater difficulty. Just thinking, here ...

I'm happy to see this "impossible wingsuit docking" becoming more and more routine. ;)

THAT is really smooth and beautiful flying ..... I think I see you ( Mike) holding your legs straight allowing your wingmen to approach without the burble...( or is that just your standard leg width for a backfly?) and they seem to take their grips up on the calf and then sorta slide their hand back to your ankle. Mike,...does it put much stress on your legs as they open out or does the wingsuit fabric kinda stop them from turning you into a wish-bone? Is it easier to approach a base that is on his back? I look forward to seeing the docks from F&D... Way to evolve the wingsuit skills!!
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

Scott,

I have thought about it. My opinion for the time being is NOT to make changes for backflying etc. I see the bigger difficulty, but keeping the point system as simple as we can, at least for now is the way. I foresee in a year or two, adding categories for more difficult maneuvers. Right now lets just keep the talent gap a little closer. :-)

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

From Mike's description it was easier to get this while backflying because he could see the people and adjust accordingly... so I'm not sure if extra points are necessary.

I also agree with Justin that we should try our best not to overcomplicate things... the difference between a hand to leg dock while backflying or frontflying is not as big (imho) than the difference between hand to hand and hand to foot in terms of skill...

Well, since we're all gonna be at flock n dock this weekend, we can discuss it further if people wish to do so... over a couple beers

Andrea,

The current point system doesn't include backflying. Do ya' think that should be a consideration? What if the dock points are 50% greater for both people backflying? As in:

hand dock, both belly ... 1 pt
hand dock, both back ... 1.5 pts
hand dock, one each ... 1.25 pts

foot dock, both belly ... 2 pts
foot dock, both back ... 3 pts
foot dock, one each ... 2.5 pts

That would make Mike's pic 5 pts. I'm not sure that's fair if you consider that's equivalent (point-wise) to a 6 person docked line, but it would take into account the greater difficulty. Just thinking, here ...

I'm happy to see this "impossible wingsuit docking" becoming more and more routine. ;)

I think that Scott is saying that we get extra cool points for backflying B|

Purple Mike

P.S. Has anyone tried my drink? Purple Mike's Drink Video