kevin922

Phantom 2 report...

Well I have about 5 jumps on my new phantom 2, -- unfortunately 4 of them were solos as there were no other wingsuit jumpers until my last jump...

When I jumped with the highly experienced S3 pilot on my last jump he could not stay with me speed or descent rate wise.... the Phantom freaking FLIES.

Now one thing I can say is on my S3 I can build speed and pop the wings and feel myself "going up" or at least slowing down considerably.. i don't seem to feel that as much with the phantom, though again I only had one jump with another person so my ability to judge proximity is not there.. I would probably end up flying my S3 with any students I have as the range on it is excellent for student operations.

Don't like there are no pockets on the phantom like on my s3.. i don't typically wear a helmet, so my ditter was usually in the inside pocket of my S3... along with ear plugs and sometimes an mp3 player. Will have to add after the fact I guess.

Kevin

Glad to hear your enjoying the suit.

I almost always wear a Phantom 2 for jumps with students... hell, I jump it for 90% of my jumps :)
You'll find with a few more jumps it has more 'pop' than the S3, it's just a case of learning the suit.

Adding a little dytter / mp3 pocket is an easy fix that any rigger could do for you in a matter of minutes :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

That so I also have it with me during packing/walking etc (when the wingsuit is not on me).

Good thinking on that one. I'm notorious for leaving my phone inside the wingsuit chest pocket and completely forgetting about it...

But speaking of various pockets... don't mean to make this another brand war thread, but Tony really shines at this one... those inside the wing zippered places... ya know, for carrying anything from candy wrappers you don't wanna leave on the plane to a whole bunch of beer bottles/cans on those beach sunset loads... I hear that stuff really helps you pick up chicks! :P

Small unrelated note, be carefull with Iphones etc in pockets/wings etc.
Sucks finding out another jumper cracked your screen when sitting inside a cramped plane..

you ain't doing it right. :P
you're supposed to have it in your hands the whole way up, being all antisocial and focused on the little screen, not paying attention to what's going on. no cracked screen then :P

Many of you have seen me jumping a 5 year old dirty S3.

No more. I'm in love with my P2Z and have finally found the S3 replacement I've been looking for.

My first jump on the suit was a solo from 11.5k ft. I maxed out for parts of the jump, but also spent some time doing barrel rolls, buzzing a cloud, and backflying. I got 135 seconds (again, from only 11.5k) with an average speed in the low 40's I think. I don't usually put to much stock in the "interval speeds" (12k, 9, 6k) you see on the Neptune, but was still floored to see 35mph at 6k. The crazy thing about this suit is it looks "small" and is probably a good first suit for beginners... but with skill it can be flown hard, and without a lot of strength or fatigue. I gave up doing long solos years ago and never achieved the 3 minutes I always wanted to (in my S3, I had a jump where I averaged 36mph for the first minute but fatigue set in after that and greatly reduced my total to 165sec). But, if I can actually find the chance to do a full altitude jump solo in this suit (and resist the urge to do barrel rolls) I'm pretty certain I'll finally join the 3 minute club.

Backflying is a dream. I have outflown (outfloated) two other decent pilots that were on their bellies, while I was on my back (one was in another Phantom 2, the other was in a Vampire 1). I saw video from above and the suit looks so awesome spread out, laid out, and perfectly inflated (unfortunately the camera that tape belongs to cratered on the next jump... poor Potter). Transitions to back from belly are so smooth you don't even know what happened. Back inflation is rock solid. I can even pick up my head and look down at my own body and all 3 wings, and see that they are inflated, all without going into a dive or altering my flight path (which I've never had happen on any suit before).

I got a custom pocket put on by my rigger, but it's located kind of awkward right under my chest strap, and I have to be very careful not to snag it in the body zipper. I agree the pocket in my Super Mach 1 is much cooler. Jarno, I'm curious exactly what kind of travel bag you are referring to. I like that idea. I also "modded out" my hand loops by bundling them up into rigid tabs with a rubber band. That's another point I like about Tony Suits... the lack of thumb/hand loops and the loose sleeve (the reason I like that is not as a cutaway alternative, but more for the increased mobility).

I like my SM1 too, but for my daily use (flocking and camera flying) it's a bit too much for a skinny guy like me.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Its something like this. Most stores have em.

And yea...my teammate Alejandro had hardly ever jumped a phantom before the recent competition in Italy (I think 4 or so previous jumps in Soulac), and was also amazed at the ease of flying (belly and back) and how little fabric the suit seems to have, but how that small surface area seems to 100% translate to performance.

As fun as flyby's and max jumps in big tarps are..its also my favorite suit for most formation and all round flying. And due to the fact that you have to fly it more (compared to lazy hanging in fabric, such as the Stealth etc in formations) its also so much more responsive on turns etc.

And as you mention...due to the wings being quite sane in size, still a perfect beginners suit. Though with a bit of practice, all you'll ever needB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yup I love my phantom 2 for all around flying, kind of wish it had zips though. I notice that on some of the big suits everyone really shuts down to backfly, but i can fully extend all wings and get down the mid 40s. I was actually doing barrel rolls and back flew for about 6 seconds a flight in the swiss valley. To keep things even, I borrowed a SM1 for one camera jump this weekend, the booty slipped off and came up to my mid shin, and I had a 37 mph average after break off. Impressive inflation, but more than I need on 99% of jumps.

My first jump on the suit was a solo from 11.5k ft. I maxed out for parts of the jump, but also spent some time doing barrel rolls, buzzing a cloud, and backflying. I got 135 seconds (again, from only 11.5k) with an average speed in the low 40's I think. I don't usually put to much stock in the "interval speeds" (12k, 9, 6k) you see on the Neptune, but was still floored to see 35mph at 6k. The crazy thing about this suit is it looks "small" and is probably a good first suit for beginners...

I can fly my Stealth dirty and rocket fast with 100km/h vertical rate. So your numbers does not describe your trajectory. :P

I can fly my Stealth dirty and rocket fast with 100km/h vertical rate. So your numbers does not describe your trajectory. :P

You're right, my fallrate numbers describe only my fallrate. I never claimed otherwise.

And the word blue describes the color of my suit, and only the color.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com