hjumper33

Incident at MOAB

I'm not sure that backflying skills would help this situation. Certainly not after it gets "bad" (at that point it may indeed be too late) and before it gets "bad" the best choice is still to ball up. Trying to fly out of it, either on your back or belly, can just lead to a faster spin. I've flown out of many tumbles myself (but never on my back, even though I can backfly)... but at some point you have to decide the tumble is fast enough that you stop trying to fly and start balling up, and fast.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Wouldn't it be a better idea for folks to learn to backfly in smaller suits before jumping a larger suit?

I think thats a whole different subject ...

I don't think it's a whole different subject. After all, if folks learn to backfly than they'll be more likely outfly these occurrences before they become incidents ... or am I wrong?

I fully agree with Butters on this one.
Exploring all aspects of flying on a smaller suit does sound like a good way to minimize such problems.

I'm not saying backflying is a solve-all thing, but it looks like usual problems people have with flatspins often happen on their back

So here's my reasoning. People with far more experience, please correct me if I'm wrong:
If you find yourself slowly spinning on your back but are already used to flying on your back and especially turning while on your back, you are more likely to immediately have good reflexes for counter-turning or somehow outflying whatever is happening.
What causes the flatspin?
Something is not balanced.
There is an asymmetry.
Let us for a second ignore what caused the asymmetry (could've been a burble, collision with another flyer, or just sudden improper body position) and look into what really makes it *worse*: keeping that asymmetry.
This could be bad body position (e.g. you're on your back with one foot higher than the other or something, or even as much as being too stiff because you're not used to being on your back and you naturally tense up) or suit-related (e.g. a bootie slipped off). Anything else??? Ideas??
For the bad body position, if you already know how to fly on your back, you know how to restore a good flying position rather than trying to figure it out on the spot and potentially worsening the body position, and hence 'feeding' the flatspin. This is why we don't seem to see these nasty flatspins as much in belly to earth orientations, except, perhaps, on students with not enough flights... cause we're used to outflying anything that happens on our bellies... but not so much when we find ourselves in different orientations.
If the reason is outside of the body position realm, like the blown up bootie example, you will at least be able to spot the problem and take counter-actions. Maybe you can't do much about that bootie flapping above your ankle, but you sure as hell know what to do with your arm wings that are still in place, so you could, for instance, bend the wingtip gripper in your hand to turn in the opposite direction.

I'm not suggesting new techniques for dealing with flatspins. Don't get me wrong here. Yea, if things are out of control, either ball up or track the hell out of it... agreed.
What I'm saying, though, is that knowing how to fly your suit in all orientations likely gets you to quickly outfly the potential spin before it even becomes the kind of problem that necessitates balling up.

People often talk about having induced flatspins and therefore having the confidence of knowing how to get out of them. I dare ask... how many of those induced flatspins were only practiced on their belly?

This leads me to also point out something that Brian Drake also touched upon earlier in this thread... what is the skill set that we should recommend to someone who wants to fly a bigger suit? Perhaps we need a wingsuit upsizing checklist just like that old canopy downsizing checklist article in the safety section of this website. Has anyone put together a comprehensive list of things one should try on a small suit before putting on the bigger one? Because we all know by now that just telling someone "you're not ready" doesn't work.

I'm not sure that backflying skills would help this situation. Certainly not after it gets "bad" (at that point it may indeed be too late) and before it gets "bad" the best choice is still to ball up. Trying to fly out of it, either on your back or belly, can just lead to a faster spin. I've flown out of many tumbles myself (but never on my back, even though I can backfly)... but at some point you have to decide the tumble is fast enough that you stop trying to fly and start balling up, and fast.

My thought isn't that you will outfly the tumble. My thought is that the more experience and skill you have flying your body in different orientations the more likely you will outfly the instability that leads to tumbles. This doesn't mean that tumbles can't or won't happen and that you don't need to know how to recover from them ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Might be true. I've been watching people getting burbled and tumbling for a long time, since I'm usually above the flock filming.

One thing I've noticed is that more often in the past (and still with inexperienced flyers) people would go into dozens of tumbles just from getting burbled. More often these days (and with more experienced flyers) you will see only a single tumble from a burble... or sometimes even NO tumbles... just a body check, push away, and keep flying.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Might be true. I've been watching people getting burbled and tumbling for a long time, since I'm usually above the flock filming.

One thing I've noticed is that more often in the past (and still with inexperienced flyers) people would go into dozens of tumbles just from getting burbled. More often these days (and with more experienced flyers) you will see only a single tumble from a burble... or sometimes even NO tumbles... just a body check, push away, and keep flying.

Exactly! :)

Now heres a funny... I still take up FFC students from time to time. I always teach a two step approach to spin recovery... yes you can just fly out of it, but I tend to emphasize balling up to get out of trouble. Flying it out works much of the time, if you're not disoriented and it isn't radical yet, but balling up works, even for a first timer, disoriented or not.
Awhile back I had an ex-student or two hinting that I was a bad instructor for teaching this and the real pros theyd met at some other DZ all told em your instructor doesn't know what hes talking about, real pros teach that you should just arch and fly out of it.
Hmmm...
Still think I'm teaching substandard techniques or what, guys? (you know who you are)
;)
-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

My thought isn't that you will outfly the tumble. My thought is that the more experience and skill you have flying your body in different orientations the more likely you will outfly the instability that leads to tumbles. This doesn't mean that tumbles can't or won't happen and that you don't need to know how to recover from them ...

You are correct about this Butters. I have had many situations coming off the camera step where Ive been able to merely push off a bit on someone and fly straight out of the burble. However, occasionally you catch some air that you didn't expect, and you are quickly accelerated in the rotational direction.:P Especially if you have a natural arch as I do.. I Spoke to Matt Gould the night of the incident and we had this conversation. In my experience, you can catch the initial rotation of a flat spin and recover from it quickly. But if you miss it, due to poor timing or G forces slowing your response, you can easily exacerbate the situation quickly. I have a rule that I stick to. Unless I really believe I can without a doubt catch the rotation or fly out of it, I will only attempt to do so within the first one and a half revolutions. the risk inherent in attempting to catch it after that point and missing it, is akin to what has happened to both Matt, and Heffro, and im sure a few others along the way. once you miss catching the rotation, you turn yourself in to a human helicopter blade, and it can take more effort than you can exert to recover. Take heed all of you who fly larger suits... Scott Bland and I do just about the same thing with our zips btw. Mine are never closed more than halfway. The suits have more than enough pressure with them totally open, it is only our minds that make us think More = Better, when all it does more often than not is increase the risk, because they do get quite a bit more difficult to collapse when they are closed completely.

I have had my share of being "Spun Up" from being hit, bad exits, broken wings, even being peeled off the airplane ~ U name it. Keep on fighting, but more often than not, just ball up... wait for the rotation to slow, open slowly and smoothly.. all you lose is a little more altitude, and a lot of risk.. don't accelerate the problem by not decelerating your brain... when the spin is not stable, i.e. a non constant rotational speed/axis, your chances of catching it before being "spun up" (a quick acceleration of a spin in a similar direction to its original, due to an input by the pilot), are slim to none. Only if the spin is stable, is it relatively safe to attempt to fly out of it. Also, the higher your wingloading on your suit, the exponentially faster you will spin up. just food for thought.

Good Job on saving your life Matt~ Good to still have you around!

Both of these incidents between Matt and Jeff, had similar injuries, I believe Jeffs may have been a little more intense, but not by alot... he did have to pop his eyeballs back into his head a little though.. Nither of them have a Cypres. Not saying it would work perfectly, but hey, both of them were within 2-5 seconds of Redout, and LOC. I think a grand is pretty cheap life insurance, dont yall?

Just my two cents..

Scotty
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Lurch, when I teach (it has been a while) I only explain how to ball up. Flying out works sometimes, sure... but they can figure that out on their own one day. Balling up is the prescribed failsafe as far as I'm concerned, and the only thing they need to be taught. I have had a few "big name" instructors tell me they only teach "tracking out" of it, which I think is a horrible idea.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Lurch, when I teach (it has been a while) I only explain how to ball up. Flying out works sometimes, sure... but they can figure that out on their own one day. Balling up is the prescribed failsafe as far as I'm concerned, and the only thing they need to be taught. I have had a few "big name" instructors tell me they only teach "tracking out" of it, which I think is a horrible idea.

I also think that is a horrible idea. I think you should give your student all the information. Try to track out of it, then try to ball up out of it, then pull ... I treat it like other areas of skydiving, you try it, if it doesn't work you try it again, if it still doesn't work you move on.

I agree with the back-flying idea. I have hit my foot on the door on the way out of the Otter and when it happened I flew it out on my back and then transitioned to my belly. I also saw Butters in a nasty side spin where he was balled up, knees to the chest, but since his feet were still exposed to the relative wind and slightly offset it acted as a propeller. Eventually he arched out of it and righted himself. The point is the recovery techniques should be taught as a set of tools rather than a procedure. I will also echo the idea of more time spent on smaller suits.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I'm in yes/no agreement with you here, Matt. I also tend to customize what I'm teaching to the student. The tense ones or the 200-jump low timers, I keep it super simple and reassuring... I get it across with a nice relaxed take it easy cadence... just ball up, shut off your wings, relax and it'll be alright. But I also get a fair number of very high-timers, guys with multiple thousands of jumps. With them, I'm not as worried about giving them information overload so I give em a bit more info, options, "try this first and if it doesn't work within 2 flips, ball up"

In any case, I found half the battle is controlling the student's exit. My first year or so of teaching, I had a fair number of students look down as they exit, either looking at me following me out, or just looking down and going into a steep headfirst dive. Sometimes resulting in random flight paths till they stabilize.
I eventually figured out I could more or less ensure a clean head-high exit by having them look at the prop, and exit first, before me. Because if they're a bit overwhelmed or forget to look at the prop, they always look up at me for reassurance, which puts them in a neat, head-high position, they hit the air rock steady, and I'm in their field of view the whole time for the two seconds it takes me to drop in by their side. Psychology.

I had one guy try beating on me for this technique with an outraged tone telling me it was atrocious and if I wasn't going to exit first and lead the student out the door I might as well not even BE there. Took me awhile to get the idea across that having a student exit a split second before me does not invalidate my presence in the skydive, and if you want to manage the potential for student flat spins you do whatever is most effective to accomplish that goal. This thread has been interesting to me for related reasons, my worst nightmare is the possibility of leading a student into a situation they can't get out of with what I've taught them on the ground. I've always known of the potential for a spin to get so far out of control that the only option left was pop-and-pray, but this is the first time I've ever seen it, and it wasn't even a newbie. After seeing this, I'm more likely to adjust what I teach towards leaving out the "track out of it" part for all but the most high-timer students. The time the student spends deciding which option to use could be enough to ensure their efforts to track out of it are wasted.
-B

I agree with the idea of the student getting out first. I think it also helps that they don't feel crowded in the door or feel rushed with the instructor leaving first. In addition to this if you are getting video it can give a good perspective on their exit with you exiting after.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I think we are digressing here.
First flight? Yea, whatever you've found works... keep it simple... The student needs to focus on basic stuff first. But!!!! The student will also be in a small suit!

Here we should be discussing about "continuing education" for wingsuiters.
Say you've mastered a thing or two, want a bigger suit, with a giant tailwing and rock solid inflation... this is beyond first flight stuff, you are no longer overwhelmed with all that new information. This is the point where one needs to realize there is still way more to learn! (and its' a helluva lot of fun, too)

Things that are easy to cope with in the smaller suit don't go so smoothly when you have a bunch of well-inflated fabric to deal with. I think this is what Butters is really getting at. This is where knowing how to fly in all orientations before upsizing comes in handy.
Maybe balling up is all it takes in most cases... but maybe it's a good idea to build a strong skill set so when things get weird, you have more than one possible action to throw at it.

Andreea, it sounds like you are addressing this the same way one would address an unwanted spin or turn while on ones stomach in a typical belly skydive. It doesn't work that way when talking about a real flat spin. Typically speaking things go from normal to out of control in a matter of seconds, as seen in Matt's video and others.

Learning to back fly is a good thing as it teaches additional body control as well as becoming comfortable with an atypical orientation. It is one more tool in your tool box of wingsuit skills to have without a question but it is not the solution or even a partial solution to stopping a flat spin by simply thinking that changing ones asymmetry slightly will stop the flat spin. The only way to stop a flat spin is to remove as much of the surface area that is generating the spin as possible as quickly as possible. That is why balling up into a fetal position is the correct way to stop a flat spin. Doing this breaks the actual flat spin which is where the G forces will eventually cause blackout. It does not however stop tumbling and or instability. This is why one must be able to identify when the flat spin has been dealt with, which is the rapid spinning, and when one is now in a tumble and or un-stable orientation.

It is entirely possible to stop the flat spin and still be tumbling on any of the axis because you are curled up into a ball. There is a marked difference between a flat spin and tumbling and this is where the jumper must be able to differentiate. How does one differentiate? This is where prior experiences gained from doing acrobatics in a wingsuit and or tumbling on a normal skydive come into play as they serve as your frame of reference for determining when you've gone from being in a washing machine on spin cycle to simply tumbling.

Once you've established that you are simply tumbling, you need to make an effort to regain stability. That usually involves stopping any rotation and or returning to a belly to earth orientation. The important part here is that the jumper must know that they must do something. Simply balling up and staying balled up is not a solution and it will not return a jumper to a belly to earth orientation. The jumper must make an effort to stop the tumbling/instability and regain a stable belly to earth orientation. It can be viewed as a 3 step process:

1. Stop the flat spin: Ball up into fetal position....which leads to #2
2. Stop the tumbling: Regain stability using arms and then legs and or roll over once the location of the ground is known..which leads to #3
3. Resume flying

I do not advocate the arching out of it technique because I feel it is misleading and causes people to waste time and allows a real flat spin to build momentum. If you can arch out of it, you are not in a real flat spin, you are experiencing a form of instability no matter how exciting or fast you think it is. In terms most people can relate to, a merry go round best demonstrates the difference. Most people remember as a kid laying on the merry go round on their back as someone spun it to the point where you could feel the G forces and you could not move, that is a flat spin. Since we are talking about something that happens in a split second and a decision that has to be made by the jumper in another split second wasting time trying to arch is not a good course of action in my opinion, balling up in a fetal position is. If it turns out to not be a serious flat spin but just some instability you can recover quickly and resume flying. If it is a true flat spin, you stopped it before it built momentum and returned to flight. It is also easier to remember when you are hit with one. BAM!...what do I do? Ball up. How easy is that for the brain to process and the body to do?

In my book, Skyflying Wingsuits in Motion I cover skills that need to be mastered before moving into acrobatics which addresses flat spins and instability issues that can be encountered while attempting these moves. That section could also be a good primer for someone before going to a larger suit.

The bottom line is one must be able to identify what type of situation they are in and take the appropriate actions immediately. As we've just seen with Matt's incident, flat spins are no joke.

Be safe, not sorry.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Also, I think people need to realize that at some point you don't really need to go any bigger. When considering someone's height and weight there is a certain point where there are diminishing returns. There is a reason that swoopers normally settle on a certain size and stay there. It isn't because they couldn't fly the smaller canopy, but it just isn't practical to go any smaller. I think this has an application in wingsuit flight. But maybe that is a separate discussion that has probably been beat to death.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Andreea, define "small suit"!
Theres a lot of Intros circulating out there now, and the tails aren't exactly small.
I'm thinking the trouble with tacking on a "continuing education" attitude is that its making too much out of a single thing for a very specific one-solution situation. What I get from this incident is that you may not be as balled up as you think you are, even a more experienced pilot, and this kind of thing can be prevented just by increasing community awareness that when we say "Ball up", we mean really, really balled up. I mean, look at what he said and remember what he was thinking feeling and doing at the time. He THOUGHT about balling up, he ACTED to ball up, he FELT balled up, and thought he HAD balled up. But he hadn't.
I think thats what we need to be aware of. We're not very specific about the ballup itself. If the community learns anything from this, I think it ought to be that we should be more specific and systematic about how that ballup is done and taught, so the next time one of us needs to resort to that ballup, the specific action they're thinking of doing is the one thats most effective to control the situation.
-B

Also, just like in canopy flight you should be able to show you can do certain things before getting a smaller canopy. I think this should be pushed more in wingsuiting.

What would a list of necessary skills look like for wingsuiters prior to upsizing their suit?

Like the wingsuit version of the flat turn?
The wingsuit version of a downwind landing?
The wingsuit version of a rear riser landing?
The wingsuit version of a front riser approach?
The wingsuit version of consistently landing near a target?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

My original thought had nothing to do with having backflying skills. It was all about the need to have the same pressurization on your back that you have on your belly. If most out-of-control spins (I'll avoid the term flat-spin) occur back to earth, shouldn't the flyer be capable of collapsing the leg wing easily? If you're spinning on your back and are unable to easily collapse the leg-wing (the primary driver for the spin), things will go bad in a hurry. I'm saying that backfly vents should be significantly smaller than the belly vents ... for the primary purpose of safety.

The vent size wouldn't make any difference if the wings are airlocked.

That's definitely not true. The internal pressurization of the wings are equal to the difference between what goes out vs what's coming in. The material has a certain porosity, the airlocks don't seal perfectly and there is a de-presurization opening in them. If the air is pouring in thru large inlet vents, you can't get rid of the air in the wing by squeezing it.

My Raptor, Phantom and Stealth suits all have airlocked vents and yet I can easily collapse them.

Scott

I am not talking about the vents I am talking about the rest of the wing. Why do you think they have zippers in the wings of the Tonysuits? The wing is completely sealed off and therefore the only place the air is allowed to escape is through the vents, unless you have the zippers open. Phoenix-Fly wings are not completely sealed off, While the vents themselves are airlocked, air is allowed to escape through the body of the suit.

Another thing to consider is we are discussing a wing that is already inflated and so think about trying to push the volume of air in the wing through small vents rather than large ones. Plus once the wing is inflated air is no long rushing in. Where would this air go? The wing is already full, so what you have is turbulence around the vent between the air trying to get into the wing and the air that is getting pushed out. The smaller vents makes it harder for this exchange to happen therefore there is somewhat less turbulence around the vent once the wing is inflated. This also makes it harder for the wing to collapse. Consider the difference between a student canopy and a cross-braced one. With your theory the student canopy should be harder to collapse because the openings in the nose are bigger. When in fact the cross-braced canopy is harder to collapse. The openings in the nose of a cross-braced canopy are much smaller to help eliminate the exchange of air at the nose which in turn helps reduce turbulence.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Malcolm,

Your canopy example introduces far too many variables to count, and your thought that the leg-wing volume is perfectly sealed is flawed, even with the depressurization zipper shut.

In a wingsuit wing, the internal pressure is determined by how much air comes in - how much air leaks out. (i.e. a tube has basically no pressure)Limit the air coming in and the pressure will be reduced. Allow an easy exit path for the air already inside the wing, by opening the depressurization zipper ... and now you're dealing with a leg-wing that can be easily collapsed when you're spinning on your back.

If you're saying that designers have no control over how pressurized their wings are, and it's all just hit and miss, then that's totally different.

Maybe all it takes is some magic pixie dust to make a suit that's super rigid (for performance) on its belly and much less so on its back. Either way, I think it would be a safer design.

Scott