skittles_of_SDC

How many jumps to get current enough for a wingsuit?

So after a long 4 months I've been given the go ahead to start skydiving again (being careful about landings obviously). I still need about 10 jumps to get to 200. I know 10 jumps is not current and jumping a wingsuit uncurrent can be downright dangerous (not to mention it would make me uncomfortable).

What would you recommend for the number of jumps to be current and how many do you think it would take you to feel comfortable putting a wingsuit back on if you were in my situation?

What would you recommend for the number of jumps to be current and how many do you think it would take you to feel comfortable putting a wingsuit back on if you were in my situation?

it's not a question of numbers. It's a question of "how YOU feel" and how the people who will bring you to wingsuiting feel you are.

And when you feel you're ready, give it a couple more jumps before thinking about it.

Don't focus on the numbers or on the GOAL of wingsuiting, have fun, play safe, get better (that's applicable for 99% of us). The wings will wait for you, no problem.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

When I get back to the US I won't have jumped for 8-10 months.... my first jump back is going be a WS solo. I'm not injured or anything though, I'm just talking a small vacation ;)

If you're putting one back on it's all about what you're comfortable with.

This isn't flying, its falling with style.

When I get back to the US I won't have jumped for 8-10 months.... my first jump back is going be a WS solo. I'm not injured or anything though, I'm just talking a small vacation ;)

If you're putting one back on it's all about what you're comfortable with.

Are you're jump numbers accurate in your profile? Whatever, what's the rush? After getting on for a year, don't you think it would be wiser to do a solo without the wingsuit first, just to familiarise yourself with freefall and your gear before adding a further complication?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

After my first knee surgery, I was out for about 4 months. My first jump back was with a wingsuit and it went well. I had a fairly large amount of wingsuit jumps before my injury, so I knew I would feel comfortable dong a solo wingsuit for my first jump back. Start flying the wingsuit when you feel comfortable that you can be safe to yourself and others. You don't really get as rusty as you would think after 4 months. Just don't rush back into it too quickly (thats part of the reason why I had to get a second knee surgery last DecemberB|).

I had a fairly large amount of wingsuit jumps before my injury, so I knew I would feel comfortable dong a solo wingsuit for my first jump back.

exactly. OP is learning how to wingsuit.

100 more jumps

the diamond can not be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.

Skittles,
having seen you fly...I'd spend quite a few jumps tracking. I don't know how many. At least 10.
My suggestion is to spend the next X skydives doing mock wingsuit jumps compete with exit count and tracking, just to get you to a stable tracking position.
Then take a coach/highly experienced wingsuit person out to observe you. Hear what they have to offer when you get down.
I'd recommend counting on their observation more than I'd recommend counting jumps.
Welcome back!

Skittles,
having seen you fly...I'd spend quite a few jumps tracking. I don't know how many. At least 10.
My suggestion is to spend the next X skydives doing mock wingsuit jumps compete with exit count and tracking, just to get you to a stable tracking position.
Then take a coach/highly experienced wingsuit person out to observe you. Hear what they have to offer when you get down.
I'd recommend counting on their observation more than I'd recommend counting jumps.
Welcome back!

I'd recommend listening to this recommendation. After all, it's not about numbers it's about skills ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Skittles,
Welcome back!

I'd recommend listening to this recommendation. After all, it's not about numbers it's about skills ...

It's a strange thing; with numbers come experience. With experience comes skill. Skill with experience brings wisdom, usually.
Fortunately, Skittles is wise enough to seek the answers rather than brag and claim "skills."
There is a lot more to his story than you know, but it's his story to share.

You're still in my book of heroes, Skittles!;) I'd take Kallend up on his offer!

It's a strange thing; with numbers come experience. With experience comes skill. Skill with experience brings wisdom, usually.
Fortunately, Skittles is wise enough to seek the answers rather than brag and claim "skills."
There is a lot more to his story than you know, but it's his story to share.

Really, there is ... did you know that I've talked with Skittles? Apparently not. Oh well, I guess I'm not wise enough to seek the answers rather than brag and claim "skills".

Oh well, I guess I'm not wise enough to seek the answers rather than brag and claim "skills".

We agree on something.B|
You have consistently advocated the theory that jumping with a wingsuit is largely unrelated to experience and predominantly related to skills, even as you were wingsuiting well before the accepted minimums.
The numbers aren't arbitrary, and they're statistically accurate for the various disciplines. Why do you think you can't competitively swoop at 200 jumps?

Rationalize away, statistics and common sense are not on your side.
Is it curious that a blog post 48 hours before his accident commented that he was heading for an incident?... Sometimes, one can see it coming. It's even easier when you've jumped with someone.
Does that chip on your shoulder affect your field of view or merely weigh you down?

So after a long 4 months I've been given the go ahead to start skydiving again (being careful about landings obviously). I still need about 10 jumps to get to 200. I know 10 jumps is not current and jumping a wingsuit uncurrent can be downright dangerous (not to mention it would make me uncomfortable).

Well, if you don't have balls for WS, than get a tracking suit. I've seen data that kick ass trackers can have better glide than lousy birds. That could make you a better flier.

You have consistently advocated the theory that jumping with a wingsuit is largely unrelated to experience and predominantly related to skills, even as you were wingsuiting well before the accepted minimums.

Actually, I've advocated the theory that wingsuiting is related to skills acquired through certain experiences. Before the "accepted" minimum? Yes. Well before the "accepted" minimum? No. How come you don't call out any of the "experienced" individuals calling themselves "instructors" that haven't followed the minimums with their students?

The numbers aren't arbitrary, and they're statistically accurate for the various disciplines. Why do you think you can't competitively swoop at 200 jumps?

The numbers are arbitrary.

Rationalize away, statistics and common sense are not on your side.
Is it curious that a blog post 48 hours before his accident commented that he was heading for an incident?... Sometimes, one can see it coming. It's even easier when you've jumped with someone.
Does that chip on your shoulder affect your field of view or merely weigh you down?

Have you met me? No. Have you flown with me? No. In this thread I recommended the exact same thing you did and yet you still attempted to use me as a punching bag. Does that big head on your shoulders affect your field of view or merely weigh you down?

If I were in your situation, I'd take enough jumps as necessary to get myself feeling back into the groove of things. Basically, when I felt comfortable enough to land in a golf course without breaking something ;)

Two reasons behind this. You'll probably need a few jumps to not be nervy about landings. Especially off landings, which will happen in your wingsuit. And when you start wingsuiting you'll have a lot on your mind making you nervous just with wingsuiting. You don't need any extra mental baggage before strapping yourself into the straight jacket.

Numbers? The C# is :P

I like flying and I'm comfortable in the suit. If you're not comfortable then don't do it.

@BillK.
How's it going? I bet you're flying better than me these days. I might bemoving back to GA in 12-18 months, just in time for King Air glory.

This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Numbers? The C# is :P

I like flying and I'm comfortable in the suit. If you're not comfortable then don't do it.

@BillK.
How's it going? I bet you're flying better than me these days. I might bemoving back to GA in 12-18 months, just in time for King Air glory.

OMG, John, is that really you? I now have a Raptor dude.

You need to get your azz back this way and come out and play with Marion and I. Hit me on IM or FB when you get back this way.

How come you don't call out any of the "experienced" individuals calling themselves "instructors" that haven't followed the minimums with their students?

Read the forum better; I have. Privately and publically. Two of the three recent fatalities were taught by friends who hopefully won't repeat their mistake. I've also publically castigated myself for having taken out someone at 160 jumps and he had a cutaway.
I learned in one. And won't repeat the mistake.
Several "name" instructors have, and continue to take students before they've got the experience and/or numbers. I'm aware of at least two that are responsible for putting students in situations where the student has been broken. IMO, The "instructor/coach" bears some responsibility in those situations. Just as I bear some responsibility in the challenges my pre-200 jump "student" faced.
It's hilarious to read newsletters from one BMCI who implores that BMI's "follow the rules" even as he takes someone out with only 80 jumps. "Do as I say, not as I do."
Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" comes to mind...

Someone didn't get out of bed one day and decide that 200 jumps was a good number. Discussions of why 200 jumps for many skydiving activities can be found all over DZ.com.

Does that big head on your shoulders affect your field of view or merely weigh you down?

C'mon, that was too easy. You can do better than that, can't you? :D
It's great that *you* were able to break the rules and get away with it. Not everyone is going to be so fortunate. If obeying the rules saves even one life, it's worth it, IMO.
It's cool that Skittles is seeking coaching from those that have jumped with him. He may well not be ready for a wingsuit again in 10, 20, 30 jumps. But I'm certain his desire won't diminish.

When will you be at SDC? I'll be happy to come on tracking dives with you.

I will be there this weekend for sure. Other than that I'm not sure. Unfortunately this year will most likely not be like last year when I was there every weekend.

OK, I will be there one day this weekend, not sure which yet. We'll go tracking together. I'll buy you beer if you out-track me!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When will you be at SDC? I'll be happy to come on tracking dives with you.

I will be there this weekend for sure. Other than that I'm not sure. Unfortunately this year will most likely not be like last year when I was there every weekend.

OK, I will be there one day this weekend, not sure which yet. We'll go tracking together. I'll buy you beer if you out-track me!

Alright. Whether I jump or not is kinda iffy still. It depends on the winds. If we got nice 10-15 MPH winds that can slow me down and set me down easy I will be jumping. If there is little or no wind I probably won't jump.

Just learn to slide in on your butt. I've been doing it for the last 80 jumps and it's very safe, regardless of forward speed (though wind is nice).

Just make sure you've got a TonySuit made of Parapack. Though I've worn a few small holes in the ass, the material has held up very well considering.

edit to add:
In the beginning, I was worried about potential tail-bone injury, so I used this:
http://www.azzpadz.com/
Once I got the technique down and practiced (a slightly later flare), I no longer needed it.
Brian Drake

Someone didn't get out of bed one day and decide that 200 jumps was a good number. Discussions of why 200 jumps for many skydiving activities can be found all over DZ.com.

Groups will be formed, rules will be made, and people will be controlled. [:/]

Does that big head on your shoulders affect your field of view or merely weigh you down?

C'mon, that was too easy. You can do better than that, can't you? :D

I'm Butters, that's the best insult I can muster at the moment. :P

It's great that *you* were able to break the rules and get away with it. Not everyone is going to be so fortunate. If obeying the rules saves even one life, it's worth it, IMO.

Groups will be formed, rules will be made, and people will be controlled for their own good. [:/]

It's cool that Skittles is seeking coaching from those that have jumped with him. He may well not be ready for a wingsuit again in 10, 20, 30 jumps. But I'm certain his desire won't diminish.

Agreed.

PS: Enough is enough, I need to get to bed so that I can wake up early and practice backflying (working on those "skills"). :)