shveddy

What makes a wingsuit rig a wingsuit rig

So I'm getting my first gear (used) soon, and I'm hoping it'll last me at least until I get to try wingsuiting and a bit beyond that. This gets me thinking, what exactly makes a rig a good rig for wingsuiting? I know a longer bridle is necessary, but what else?

On that note, and I'm sure this is a stupid question, I've heard it's quieter up there with a wingsuit; can you guys talk to each other in freefall?

A longer bridle and (optional) having the corners on your packing tray open, so that the d-bag is freely lifted from the container.
Talking in freefall is a myth, or some people might say it to make it seem like they are unlike someone that is falling straight down maybe? 100mph forward is the same as 100mph straight down. Most think they are hearing what the other is saying, but instead, mostly hearing some tone of voice and reading the others lips. However, if they are hearing the other speak in flight clearly, they are flying badly, in a stall, or in the dead air space of someones crotch.......
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Mainly the wingsuit. Outside of that probably a long bridle, maybe a less aggressive canopy, cut corners if you like, I avoid velcro but still have some. Prolly other shit but really there aint much to it. I started on a totally unmodified rig.

We never talk in freefall, ESP only.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Corners of my packing tray open? My mental image of what that means is cutting the closing flaps thinner so they don't actually cover the whole dbag or something... that can't be right. Or did you mean the side flaps (just close with the top and bottom flap or something like that)?

Cool video, though it seems you have to hang around someone's crotch to have a conversation.

Corners of my packing tray open? My mental image of what that means is cutting the closing flaps thinner so they don't actually cover the whole dbag or something... that can't be right. Or did you mean the side flaps (just close with the top and bottom flap or something like that)?

Cool video, though it seems you have to hang around someone's crotch to have a conversation.

Do a search on dynamic corners. ;) Some just prefer to unstitch the bottom corners of the contaner, because sometimes the dynamic corners are just a pain in the ass if your d-dag fits tight in your container.

From the video, talking to someone in flight looks fun, huh? :S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

In full flight with a wingsuit your canopy is leaving the container at approx. 45° to your body. Containers have been designed around the idea that the canopy will be leaving the container perpendicular to your body. IMHO to a large degree this does not matter as most containers are made well enough to work well at the 45°. I personally have only come across one rig that I did not feel was adiquiet for wing suit skydiving and that is the Eclipse container. The Eclipse container is sewn up about 1" up the top side of the bottom of the container so before the D-bag leaves the container it pivots to the correct 90° possition first. I have done wingsuit skydives with an Eclipse container, I just personally made sure I was falling down verse horizontally before deploying.

Oh yes, as others have stated the dynamic corner mode allows the bottom of the container to fully open up so the D-bag can leave at what ever angle it needs to without any interferance from the container
Kirk
He's dead Jim

See pictures of the cut-down corners on my Voodoo here.

they're cut to where there is only approx .5" at the bottom of the pack tray, allowing the Dbag to leave straight off. It's a very different feeling at deployment compared to my Talon FX and Stunts Eclipse rigs.

If this is your first set of gear, I wouldn't concentrate so much on looking for the "perfect wingsuit rig," rather I would concentrate on finding a good deal and jumping your ass off!

I think the important thing here is to get a nice modern rig, that will last you a long time. The less you have to spend on gear maintenance or modernization (service bulletins, flap mods, etc) , the more you can spend on jumping.

Any rig (with the exception of a pull out) is more than adequate for the casual beginner in wingsuiting. All of the "extras" are simply that..."extras". :)
Will any of these options (bridle, corners, jet pack) hurt if your new rig has them?...No..I just wouldn't kill myself looking for them

Others may choose to flame me here, but remember guys, this is his first rig at 38 jumps...not a dedicated full time wingsuiting rig.

Wingsuit rig> cheap 2nd hand canopy about 500 jumps past factory recomendations for maximum use. Old container with enough velcro, risers and bits of fabric sticking out to make an S&M studio jealous.
And combe that one with the cheapest reserve you can find, and an AAD that only has about 3 months left to live (because it came really cheap that way). Then a second hand wingsuit, and spending ALLLL the cash you have on a good trip and TONS of jumps..:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This gets me thinking, what exactly makes a rig a good rig for wingsuiting? I know a longer bridle is necessary, but what else?

I got about 100 WS jumps with an extra short: aprox 1.5m. Any rig in good shape would do with BOC beployment and a canopy your are comfortable to fly with.

I've heard it's quieter up there with a wingsuit; can you guys talk to each other in freefall?

Its still quite noisy, speed is quite similar with other FS dive, just the angle is different.

Don't worry about gear, just get anouther 200 jump and wings on! B|

If this is your first set of gear, I wouldn't concentrate so much on looking for the "perfect wingsuit rig," rather I would concentrate on
Any rig (with the exception of a pull out) is more than adequate for the casual beginner in wingsuiting. All of the "extras" are simply that..."extras". :)

I figured it wouldn't matter too much what I got, didn't know pullouts weren't ok though. Thanks, though I will be looking for that jetpack.

correct! i.e....

15 years old Atom with 15 years old minimax7 190ft and 249ft RavenIII/7 cell, F111, 18 years old, that flies like a rock crosswinds, and has a build in left turn. no bridle cover(all airworty!)

The only new one is a cypresII, but keep in mind this was a bargain as a second rig ;)

Open corners? I shiftet my POD 90° with the Bridle to stay horizontally upside to the open container.

and make over 100WS jumps in this year.