KMonster

Neptune

I am going to purchase an audible altimeter very soon. I am either going to get a ProTrack or a Neptune. I have been reading the reviews posted and it seems like their were a lot of bugs with the Neptune and although the customer service appears very accomodating, I would rather not have to send in my new altimeter in the first place. I was wondering, is the latest Neptune bug-free? Should I just get a ProTrack and not have to worry about it? I am looking forward to reading your comments, thanks.

I was in your shoes over the weekend, trying to pick either the Neptune or ProTrack, I went Neptune.
From what I read, the latest update is far from perfect ("What do you mean you don't always jump from 13?!"), but the next upgrade, 2.0, will fix many bugs.
If you don't want to buy an IR port to upgrade the software, you could just buy a neptune after they release the new software.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Personally, I'd go with the ProTrack as an audible altimeter.
Tonto brings out some good pros and cons, but I would add that the ProTrac has been on the market for a long time working very well (and customer service from L&B is unmatched).
The Neptune is still in it's infancy and seems to have a lot of bugs that keep popping up.

But - go with the one YOU want :)
Blue ones!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

ProTrack

Audible

Data Recorded

Neptune

Visual

Audible

Data recorded

Waterproof

Firmware upgradable

t

Price to, don't forget price. Neptune is cheaper then the ProTrack

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

er uh... this isn't going to be another thread like the last one I hope...

This thread should be named Nope-Tune

go with the Pro....Track.

GraficO
PS... if you want my personal experiences with either unit...I'll be glad to discuss them privately.
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Both companies offer great customer service. The protrack has bugs as well. I have had software problems, and had to exchange it twice in the last 800 jumps (protrack). It also seems to go through cycles where it will not keep the date/time properly.
I use the pc software, and those that don't have less problems.
L&B are so great though, any problem and they just exchange it for a new one.
I have jumped with a neptune on my wrist, but it didn't do much good, since I don't normally wear an altimeter there, I didn't even look at it.
Lots of the features will not be used if it is on the side of your helmet, and likewise, lots of features will not be used if you put it on your hand.
They need to offer two models depending on how you want to use it. That may lower the price too (one without audible features, one with).
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I'd go Protrack. Service is solid. Neptune really has not established a track record yet.

Well if you're talking about the service of a company, neptune is made by alti-2 which has been around a long time and (to my knowledge/experience) has had good customer service.

FWIW, I'm in the very advantageous position of being able to have most all the new toys on the market when they are released. That means I've had lots off cool toys over the years, and a couple of duds. I like my Neptune, and I like my Pro-Track. Both work as advertised and I think they're both a good buy. It comes down to options for me though. Personally, I think putting the Neptune in a helmet is a waste. It's got too many good "visual" options, and you can always throw a Pro-Dytter or (heaven forbid!) and original Dytter in your helmet if you want an audible.

Both are going to have problems. I lost the computerized version of all my jumps, twice, because of crashes within the Pro-Track software (but I think there may have been a sending-receiving error in there somewhere as well). That was a big bummer not just because I lost the jumps, but I used to add notes into my entries as well...good thing I keep a hard log as well, huh?

I don't have a bunch of jumps on the Neptune yet, but it's pretty sleek. I was never a fan of digital altis, especially the ones you had to turn on, but I like this one. Easy to read, easy to work with. Nice options (backlighting, flip, other features). I find it easy to read, even though I'm used to a clock face, and it's smaller than my other hand mounts. Plus, it's that pretty translucent blue ;)

Overall I think you'll see at least a few more of these type altimeters coming out in the next few years. IMO, It's the natural evolution.

Is one better than the other (speaking of the Neptune and Pro-Track)? I think they both have merits, and are both good in their own rights. For my $.02, the Neptune is a better visual Alti than it is an audible. If it carries data well, then it might outclass the Pro-Track in the long run...but that's yet to be seen.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

alti-2 has awsome cust service...

ive had my altimeter for 7 years and they have taken it apart replaced the lenses and the straps and cleaned it up and checked the calibration on it 6 times,... at no charge....

of course this is on the spot at boogies... but i had to buy another altimeter for my students.... well of course i got an alti-2.. i will not buy another altimiter just for the fact that there cust service is #1

i have a pro track also... had it since they came out... never had a problem... im going to buy a neptune next season and i will use the neptune and the protrack an all jumps..

Maybe a current user can answer this question for me...

Is it easy to hear the audbile from the Neptune when wearing it as a wrist mount? In freefall that is...

What if the jumper is wearing a full face helmet? How does the volume compare to the Pro-track?

I'm considering selling my Alti-2 altimaster and Pro-Track and getting a neptune...any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

.-.

Is it easy to hear the audbile from the Neptune when wearing it as a wrist mount? In freefall that is...

The Neptune is not designed to be used as a visual altimeter and an audible at the same time. You have to choose between one or the other (although you can switch it back and forth between jumps). There is no way that you will be able to hear it if you are wearing it on your wrist.

No - it's either a visual alti or an audible in a helmet. While it can be set to do both you either won't hear it or won't see it :)

What if the jumper is wearing a full face helmet? How does the volume compare to the Pro-track?

Comparable but with different tones.

I'm considering selling my Alti-2 altimaster and Pro-Track and getting a neptune...any thoughts on that?

Why? I'd keep the pro-track as a dytter and use the neptune for a visual alti (extremely nice).

Hope this helps.

Blue skies
Ian
ps: Peter rules :)
Performance Designs Factory Team

Well then....I'd have to say stick with the pro-track (as pro neptune as I am), I can't see any reason for a neptune at this stage seeing as you already have an audible and the neptune won't be able to serve both visual and audible at the same time.

Oh well...bummer...just get a neptune when you need to replace the visual alti.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team