mccordia

serious flocking

Not really wingsuit flying, but quite similar in their setup and approach at formation building.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=wKkqBp9gFjY&sdig=1

Quite cool to see!

Very nice, they've definately got their shit together. And a huge segment posted to TV. Pretty cool.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

nice tracking

I think Id call it flocking...regardless if its wingsuit, tracking, atmo or flocking (headdown/tracking alternating angles). In the end we're all doing the same thing. Flying our bodies..

You bitch about the label...Ill just be exited on these guys that show what you can do when you combine serious skill and dicipline;)..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

have any of those guys tried wingsuits?

Some of them fly wingsuits.
But they are those irritating 'skilled people' that practice things a lot.

Like seeing the Babylon guys doing stuff in a wingsuit at 40 jumps (of thier 10.000 jump total) while we'd need a thousand exlusivly on wingsuit to even get close to their flying skill.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

A curiosity question for those who know much about tracking and this stuff:

What kind of glide ratios do these guys get? What kind of glide ratios do skilled trackers get, for that matter (assuming the trackers aren't wearing tracking pants and are wearing similarly spiffy red helmets and pants as these guys)? What are their respective fall speeds / times? I know proponents of atmo say atmo is "different" because atmo uses a steeper angle of attack (i.e., more head down) than a traditional track. But by "different", I don't know if they mean they go further, fall faster (or slower) or what? In short, what is the resulting difference in terms of flight characteristics between tracking and atmo?

I'm not trying to stir up the whole "tracking/atmo" thing. I don't do either and therefore don't give a crap whether it's considered a subset of tracking, its own discipline, or they are both considered subsets of a new meta-category of skydiving that I shall call "Falling" (TM).

I agree it's pretty to look at and it needs lots of skill I'm sure.

I'm just curious about the physics of their glide as compared to wingsuiting.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Its compareable to a normal tracking in terms of distance/glide.

Just with the body itself flown at a much steeper angle, meaning you have a body-position that allows for much more manouvrebility than the 'normal' tracking position.

Seeing some people get up to (or even over) 1:1 glide ratios, its quite impressive.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Seeing some people get up to (or even over) 1:1 glide ratios, its quite impressive.

I always thought 1:1 was a normal tracking...and Im short and heavy (5'6" 165lbs). Ill try for max glide tomorrow to see what comes up. :$
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I always thought 1:1 was a normal tracking...and Im short and heavy (5'6" 165lbs). Ill try for max glide tomorrow to see what comes up. :$

Side subject, but a 21 to 30 second bit of a jump isnt a true glide-ratio.
Its a flare:P
Do a 1:1 glide ratio from exit to opening, and Ill be impressed.

Luc Maisin (belgian guy) does full jumps flying at glide-ratios of 1.3 in a tight RW suit....I think many people in small wingsuits would envy those numbers:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

At 3:00 you can clearly see about the same L/D as that of a typical flock, and that's 2x higher than that of Jarno "smoking" his comrades at breakoff.

So, it's not the suit, it's the pilot, indeed. ;)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Yeyo, shame on you for posting glide plots on this tread. Jarno and Yuri this is your last warning for talking glide ratios in an groovalicious and artistic flying based tread before I send it to the armchair wingsuit flyers corner and ban you three......

Wait a second I'm not a moderator.... whoooops:P

sorry :$ wont happen again (today)
my point was that i thought that an average tracker should be able to "flare" enough to achive a 1:1 GR, cuz im not special and I can do it without 'goin 4 it'...
My guess was that the best trackers could get 1.3-1.5:1 easy
maybe Im wrong in my asumption and 1:1 is a lot

Jarno, how about .9:1 from 18-40sec, with the 1:1 in between from 21-34sec? Thats a 22sec flare!

Ill go for it this weekend, Ill track like a stolen banshee and keep the numbers to myself :P

HISPA #93
DS #419.5