mccordia

www.wingsuitcompetition.com (2 way + camera, artistic event)

Think RW 4 way and the ease of staying relative to other jumpers during transitions. Especially when going from stomach to back flying where you usually see large altitude loss between jumpers.

haha...beat ya scott!

Yeah, the phone rang while I was typing and took me away for a few seconds. You hit the nail on the head.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The round with ankle docks was the best example.

In normal full flight, its hard to pull off, as you are flying in the burble of the armwing, and (as the person making the dock) need to slightly stall your wingsuit as you reach for the dock.

Doing this just with the feet on the butt, in a (close to) boxman position ment the rate at which docks could be taken was much, much higher.

And sometimes the creative licence taken on jumps was a bit high

But fallrates and flying speeds aside, the whole competition showed some awesome flying.

The 'handicap' scoring system worked incredibly well, and ment that the whole event stayed exiting down to the last round. As all rounds awarded equal scores, and teams couldnt win by just doing exeptionally well in one round.

Based on the feedback and results teams were getting in the 4 rounds, we'll be coming up with a revised set of figures (for a divepool) for future events.
For next editions (also for checking of the breakoff altitude) we're thinking about including a GPS with the camera flyer and asking a minimum glideratio of a team...but thats all stuff we'll be working out later.

For next year a location more south (warmer) and later in the season will most likely be choosen. We're also looking at planning some small versions (just 1 to 3 simple rounds, with no backflying figures) on local dropzones around EU. But more on that later.

The first event coming up after this (more details soon) will be a single round (online video submission) 2 way event, judged 100% on artistic vallue. Which means style, smoothness of flying, body postition and performed manouvres.

Finishing the video is the next priority..

Though I might try and actually work a bit and earn some money in between all that stuff, as this is taking up a lot of time I should be spending on trying to paying the rent and stuff:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yeah it was a good time for all. We were pretty lucky with the weather considering its still spring and the weather at Spa is notably finicky. Although on some days was really really cold at altitude. :S

I'd like to thank everyone who attended for coming to Spa. Some people travelled from far away places spending a lot of money and time to get there. Next time, as Jarno said, we'll organize it somewhere with a better chance at good weather and later in the season, so everyone can have a chance to practice.

Also, thanks to all the sponsors for providing us with prizes!

We had lots of ideas for future competitions and we're open to input from everyone on other ideas to develop the competition.

Cheers,

Costyn

Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

It was totally wickeeeeeed!
I had so much fun with my team. They rock!
Our Bavo scored the only 3 points for creative flying during the competition. All our jumps were in frame. And Bassie is f*cking talented, that guy could do everyting, wow! (Crewbirds: he is ours now!!! ;))

Special thanks to the Tony Suits and Phoenix Fly teams for donating their prizes to the 4th and 5th place. Thanks to those good sports we actually won something, that was great!

And Jarno, dude! The competition was a success, well done with the organizing babe! Again next year!
B|

Blue skies & long flights,
Karin - ©The Pink Bird

Had great fun trying different suits the last day...ProFly, Sm1, Stealth..

And though the later two seem to share the same performance envelope, costructionwise and in terms of feeling in flight I think I have a big preference for the Stealth.

So much that Id be buying one as a personal toy right now if I had the spare cash. The lift/float ability is amazing, which rocks for flocking/camerawork, and the seperations are the most wonderfull solo cruising experiences Ive ever had..

The Sm1 was also way cool, but it felt a bit chunky compared to the PF version. Playing with the wings in freefall, felt a bit like pulling a piece of carpet. That felt much lighter on the Stealth.

Also set a personal record on that (steep) rodeo dive with Robi and his girlfriend. 214 mph dive (last exit) to catch up with the formation:P

Anyways..more coming soon..now Im off to work and some quality time with me girlyB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

De Dropzone was also extremely happy with how the event went.
They've been extremely helpfull organising special run-ins with the caravan and skyvan, and where impressed with the flying they saw (on videos).

We had a debrief on the event last sunday, and it was only positive things and praise about everyone that attended.

The only negative thing was an intentional lowpull (in the sadle somewhere around 1000 ft according to the CI) by a person who had done a one or two (also noted by the CI) low-ish pulls already.

It doesnt matter how low or high it was, low pulling isnt cool. It can get you (and us) banned from a dropzone if its done too often.

So please dont do that at wingsuit events and when at a different DZ then your own (and preferably not at all, take up BASE jumping).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It was great adventure, experience and fun for our team to be there and participate. Thanks to organizers for great event. Thanks to experienced wingsuit pilots for advices and nice tips. Most important experience is that now we have really good exercises to practice at our dropzone.

Thanks to dropzone SPA, for being so friendly, and also helping a lot of finding main canopy in the woods - involving in finding planes and even helicopters.

Thanks to all the sponsors of competition. Also thanks to Tony Suits and Phoenix Fly for donating prizes for 4th and 5th place. It was nice surprise :)

It was really nice to meet almost all of the wingsuit producers in one place, see and try different suits.
Looking forward to meet you again in some other events this summer...

Personal thanks from team to James&Kristina and Jarno for photos and video and company in Spa Spa water activities :)

Kaspars, Raitis and Daiga.
DnB NORD Wingsuit Team from Latvia - historically Lettonia, or Lettland :)
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

The event was a true success, I had a lot of fun during those 4 days !
Lucky with the weather except on saturday, I manage to get 14 jumps, experimenting backfly exit gripped with Jeff from the caravan, a 5way docked formation, a flight with the accro 2, high speed exit and a of course "getting" most of the jokes from Jarno and James ([:/]i'm french, sorry).
Everybody was cool, I got to meet new people and put faces on famous nicknames.

Just hope i will have a team to compete next time;)

Thank you all and hope to see you very soon.

Patrick de Guillebon

I had a blast, that was tons of fun, action packed skydives,

I think the fall rate was about the same as flocking,, I asked my cameraman, Tristy and he said he needed a wingsuit to folow us,

Fliping and docking like that 10 or more times a jump was great,

I want to host one in Z-hills next winter, I like this event
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Here are all teams on stage (sadly missing a few who had to leave before the ceremony).

A big thank you to Skyjester, Cypres, FlyyourBody, Birdman, PF, TonySuits ,Paralog, Spa and the many sponsors who made this event possible!

For the next competition we'll be using a new set of upgraded rules and figures. As the intent is to get this competition form as close the purest form of flight there isB|

We'll also be making some changes in the divepool to accomodate teams who have no backflying experience.

We definately had a wonderfull pilot event, and will continue on this road towards the next one!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think the fall rate was about the same as flocking,, I asked my cameraman, Tristy and he said he needed a wingsuit to folow us

Hmmyeah, but only a reeaaal small wingsuit (prodigy was it?) :P

"Tristy?" Gotta remember that one :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia