mouth

Odyssey Chest Strap ?

I've made about 50 jumps on my new Odyssey which has the 1" flat chest strap with no turn back. I was cornered by someone last w/e at the DZ who told me he really thought it was dangerous because there is nothing to "catch" it if the strap slips. I don't simply hook the strap and fold it over I run it back around the clasp and underneath through the keeper because it does seem more secure.

So what do you think? Is the strap ok like it is or should it have a turn back sewn on it?

I enjoy doing hybrids but the thought of falling out of my harness sucks.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I've had the same chest strap on my rig since '99 and its fine.

I moved the keeper over to the right of the buckle and store the excess strap over ther enow but I used to have the keeper on the left of the buckle and just layed the strap over the rest of the strap and put it under the keeper. No issues.

I looked at turning mine back but I can't pass all three layers of webbing through the buckle at the same time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Javelin has been making their one inch chest straps like that since at least 99, which is when mine was made. I don't believe there's ever been a case of a properly secured chest strap coming off.

The key is stowing the excess on the left side of the friction adapter, I'm told.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Derek, I think you were the one who showed me how to loop it back through when we were in Perris. I had about 5 jumps on it at the time. The guy was just so adiment about it being bad that I figured I'd ask.

OK, so it ain't broke, thus I ain't fixin it.

Thanks guys...so who's up for hybrids this weekend?????????

--
Hot Mama

i was jumping a rig like that for about 2 weeks (an odyssey) and just turned it back, and had no problem.

but when i was under canopy and loosened it all the way up, the fucker came undone. so if you loosen you chest strap under canopy, don't let it all the way until there is about 1" left, leave a little extra ;)

later

i was jumping a rig like that for about 2 weeks (an odyssey) and just turned it back, and had no problem.

So the rig wasn't custom built for you?

I'm guessing the rig/ chest strap was built for someone w/ a smaller chest size. I normally let the chest strap loosen as far as it will go, under canopy, and still have several inches (3?) thru the buckle.

Sunpath intensionally builds the strap longer so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ken

edit: In fact, if you turn over the end and have it sewn down it's almost impossible to fit thru the buckle.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

So the rig wasn't custom built for you?

no, but the owner of the rig and I have very similar harness sizes

I'm guessing the rig/ chest strap was built for someone w/ a smaller chest size. I normally let the chest strap loosen as far as it will go, under canopy, and still have several inches (3?) thru the buckle.

see, that was the problem, i let it ALL the way out, it was very loose, and had a lot of slack in it. that's how it worked it's way out of the buckle.

no big deal. i mean, once your under canopy it's kinda hard to fall out (unless you try).

i still did a normal hook with it, just made a point to keep my shoulders back, and not lean forward (it was actually a 3 way team landing, this is way i was jumping this rig with a crossfire instead of mine with a vx, the other 2 had crossfires)

later

I was thinking about sewing my chest strap so that it'd turn back as well. I will see if it would indeed fit or not. So, for now, even though the strap is infinitely long, I should be stowing the excess not on the left, but on the right of the buckle?

if you sew it over, it won't hardly fit through the buckle. if you don't loosen it all the way out, you don't have to worry about it coming undone.

as far as where you should stow it, it prefer on 1" chest straps it to be on the right, but it doesn't really matter.

i know people who tie it on the left side, some that run it back through the buckle.

as long as there is tension on the buckle, it will be fine.

later

You can get a wide chest strap on Javelin/Javelin Oddysey even if you have chest rings.

:)

Problem with that is I'm so short that to get the right fit over my chest and have everything where it should be I pretty much had to get the 1". Realize I jump a 14 MLW. FYI my Mirage is a 14-1.

--
Hot Mama

The guy commented that since we were doing a hybrid and the hanger was on chest straps it was unsafe not to have the turn back. I'm not sure the force but I know it is ALOT that is exerted on the strap.

--
Hot Mama

I have done hybrids with that rig. The chest strap will not budge in the friction adapter (buckle).
Have someone pull you around a bit in the hanger and see.
It is much more likely to have a premature reserve deployment from pulling on the chest strap (If your reserve ripcord doesn't have adequate slack), than the cheststrap coming undone. Be very carefull, as pulling hard on the cheststrap can extend (uncompress) the reserve ripcord housing enough to pull the pin. I want at least 2" of slack.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

It is much more likely to have a premature reserve deployment from pulling on the chest strap (If your reserve ripcord doesn't have adequate slack), than the cheststrap coming undone. Be very carefull, as pulling hard on the cheststrap can extend (uncompress) the reserve ripcord housing enough to pull the pin. I want at least 2" of slack.

Yes, I can remember a few years back when someone had the idea that the few inches of slack in the reserve rc cable that extended lose inside the reserve D handle posed some kind of snag risk and decided it should be tucked inside the velco sandwich
that secures the handle. The idea even caught on to the point where some non-riggers doing reserve data card checks at boogies, competitions, etc. just started doing it on rigs they were checking in.

It is a shame how things like that get started and catch on. It took several premature reserve deployments before people started to catch on. Had a few people try it on my rigs a few years back. I asked about their rigger certification.....none......
"Well, what you are messing with is an integral part of a TSO'd system, you better leave it alone unless you know what you are doing." I got some real smart ass replies from a couple of 200 jump wonders.
alan