packing_jarrett

Adding Backflying inlets

I'll try my best to explain myself.

I have an S1 and have gotten into backflying. Has anyone tried to add back inlets to their suits via a rigger.

It seems easy.

Hot knife a whole into the back of the wing. sew a semi stiff seal (like sail material) over the existing inlet. Sew at the leading edge so air can still blow it open. And do the same thing but on the back side too.

Here's my crappy drawing
Na' Cho' Cheese

How big do you plan to make the inlets? Don't forget you will have ribs to deal with, which could make it a lot more complicated; if you cut into them, repairing them might be very tricky because they're precisely shaped and stuff.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Robi made Jari an S-3 with back vents that had airlocks on them years ago. It was a lot of construction complexity without "great" backflying capability. And with added losses in the belly flight mode. Since the S1 doesn't have any extra glide to spare I would get a newer platform with more wing area to experiment with.

Just an Idea but if you are hell bent on tinkering stick another leg wing cell in that puppy first. Then try a PF style tetering upper vent that could be "sewn on top" of the shoulder instead of inside the suit requiring an airlock.

Its my personal belief that the rear vent sewn across the mean chord amplifies the early separation of airflow which makes this type of suit not perform as well when right side up as suits that have clean wings.

BTW some suits fly great backside without the vents. The S3s and S6 easily inflates due to those full profile mylar ribs that so annoying most of the time supporting the material.

You could also try just adding an airlock to the front inlet.

The prototype Blades we flew in spain had different legwings, that had no backvent, but an airlocked inlet on the front. They stayd perfectly inflated on the back for a whole jump, even though they didnt have an actual intake on the back.

The smaller legwing on the S1 does make it a bit easyer to learn to backfly then an S3 (or any other bigger suit), due to the smaller legwing, that doesnt overpower the armwings, when you are not flying those optimal yet (when you just start backflying), so its less prone to dive headdown..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It was a lot of construction complexity without "great" backflying capability.

You sure it wasn't pilot error? :D:P

The S3s and S6 easily inflates due to those full profile mylar ribs that so annoying most of the time supporting the material.

The hard ribs do hold the shape of the wings better, but there is no pressure inflation at all on the suits. The Blade on the other hand does have fantastic wing inflation when backflying.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The hard ribs do hold the shape of the wings better, but there is no pressure inflation at all on the suits. The Blade on the other hand does have fantastic wing inflation when backflying.

Be safe
Ed

From where is the air inflating, if you are flying on your back?

edit: Did you guys think my V1 could be equippet with backvents?

In non-vented suits with ribs, its the tension on the wing, and the ribs inside that help form the profile. So no actual inflating of the wing is at work there..

Its the mylar material pushing the wing in the correct shape.

Did you guys think my V1 could be equippet with backvents?

Dont see why not..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

all of our wingsuits now have backfly vents on the arms and the legs, the leg wings have the same inlet back and front and inflates way better then the old mesh inlets.
pix coming soon
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

all of our wingsuits now have backfly vents on the arms and the legs, the leg wings have the same inlet back and front and inflates way better then the old mesh inlets.
pix coming soon

I didn't think this thread was intended for suit sales and promotion? :D:D

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

In non-vented suits with ribs, its the tension on the wing, and the ribs inside that help form the profile. So no actual inflating of the wing is at work there..

Its the mylar material pushing the wing in the correct shape.

Yes, i understand, the only realy ribs value ;)
....but is the Blade backvented?

It was a lot of construction complexity without "great" backflying capability.

You sure it wasn't pilot error? :D:P

Be safe
Ed

Let me correct that statement= without "great" backflight inflation. I'm possitive all lack of capability was due to pilot.

Its the pilot to a large extent...but having someone backflying in a large backvented suit like a Mach1, blade etc. along with someone trying to do the same in a classic, and he's going to have a hard time keeping up..

There are people who can easely keep up with everything on their backs in 'old' suits. Way before backvents etc. where even an option. But flying a suit also designed for backflying is definately something that makes it 200% easyer..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

How big do you plan to make the inlets? Don't forget you will have ribs to deal with, which could make it a lot more complicated; if you cut into them, repairing them might be very tricky because they're precisely shaped and stuff.

precisely shaped ?? :D:D

Why do you say that?

IMO, most wingsuit wings are just approximations.

To the original poster, go for it. If it does not come off as expected you would have learnt a lot in the process. The back inlet can either be contained between two ribs or be two seperate inlets.

Good Luck,
Kris.