greeny

Other ways to fly??

Other ways to fly??

I fly an S3 and have about 180 jumps on it, a lot of those jumps I have been the only wing suit on the DZ so the flocking is not something I ever really got into.

There is only so long you can sit above the freeway and chase cars,
And only so many days you can fly the canyons in the clouds.

So what have I been doing?

Speed dives: Best achievable vertical speed 253 mph (averaged from 2 pro tracks)
I have a bunch of jumps doing this and trying to transition it out into forward speed. I never quit figured out what my max forward speed was or if at high speeds I actually go level flight, but it felt pretty close a few time using cloud as a reference. A 45 degree dive for 7 – 8000ft will usually achieve a vertical speed in excess of 200mph with a more controllable transition that a vertical dive.

Tacking dives: Joining trackers on their dives has always been fun, when the arms are folded over my back and I am flying just on the leg wing I get a really stable, controllable flight relative to the good trackers at the DZ. It is now at a point where they can take docks on me. If you are in the heart of a big tracking dive just make sure every movement you do is very slow and controlled. If the dive is big and I don’t know if I have clear airspace above me at break off I keep every thing closed and arch. You can’t climb out of there if you have people above you.

RW jumps: I haven’t done as many as I would like to but I can drop the suit straight down and when 2 RW jumpers formed a base for me last year I was able to bring the suit in and let them take grips. They formed the base and made me fly to them, not the other way around. Again hands behind back, leg wing vertical and arch. It is great to be able to stop the suit and look at people before flying off again (JUST MAKLE SURE THEY KNOW YOUR COMING TO PLAY).

Free fly jumps: The only way I have been able to join these is to fly steep spirals around them and match their fall rate. The more I do the closer and more accurate the spirals have become. Suggesting to head downers that you will come fly with them always gets strange looks. But I have had some great jumps flying close round 2 /3 way HD dives.

Tandems: It is very possible to follow them out and then drop in front of them and fly the camera slot (fall relative facing the tandem master) before flying around and back into slot.

CRW: always seem happy to have you along as long as you don’t pass in front of them. A wing suit burble can cause havoc on a CRW jump and leave them wrapped.

Flat and stable is only one way to fly, another fun dive is 2 wing suits the first as base, the second as chase. Base fly’s a series of steep dives and turns, chase chases trying to stay as relative as possible. Start small and gentle with periods of flat flight for chase to join up again anytime chase loses the slot. The more you fly this with someone the more radical the dives and turns can become. Kind of like follow my leader in the sky.

Why write this?

I am just interested in what everyone else is doing other than flocking flat and stable. Don’t get me wrong this is fun too, but it is only one way to fly.

Greeny

Very cool man! You've become very inventive with the lack of other people to flock with. I think you've done some stuff hardly ever tried by anyone else, like joining freeflyers? Thats nuts man! ;);)

You make me wanna go out there now and try that stuff myself. I have of course done stuff like join tracking dives and canopy flybys, but rw and freefly, thats just cool! And the diving and planing out sounds really cool too. You should get/borrow/loan a gps sometime, see what your trajectory looks like.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Tacking dives: Joining trackers on their dives has always been fun, when the arms are folded over my back and I am flying just on the leg wing I get a really stable, controllable flight relative to the good trackers at the DZ. It is now at a point where they can take docks on me. If you are in the heart of a big tracking dive just make sure every movement you do is very slow and controlled. If the dive is big and I don’t know if I have clear airspace above me at break off I keep every thing closed and arch. You can’t climb out of there if you have people above you.

You missed one really cool thing that you (and another guy can do). The "Predator" move. Fly down to the leader of the tracking dive (who is generally on his or her back) then move close enough that they can reach up and grab your chest strap. Next, pop your wings hard and fly up, up, and away with them away from the other trackers. We were doing that more than five years ago at Raeford. Me and Bobby Pritchard actually did it together; he on one side and me on the other.

When Moose (Atle, from Sweden) was here over the winter he routinely got into position for the move, but John Kleug never got the balls to grab on. Jeff does it too. We are going to do it some more when it gets slower here. Ultimately, if you are able to fly with your wings collapsed behind your back, you are able to stay with trackers.

Don't get bored; have FUN! Yeah, baby, YEAH!

Chuck

Jeramiah(SDC) said he tried sit flying in the classic.

Ive seen more then one person try that (trying to do a fronloop and not pulling their legs through:P)

Swooping canopies is the best(yes, yes when it has been arranged beforehand).

Cant wait for the coming weekendB|;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ive seen more then one person try that (trying to do a fronloop and not pulling their legs through:P)

No, I meant honestly trying to sitfly :P. He claimed he was abled to hold it for a while and we talked about getting a pic of that in the Mag. Someone from SDC has to check with him.

Swooping canopies is the best(yes, yes when it has been arranged beforehand).

Cant wait for the coming weekendB|;)

Get some footage!!

Kris.

No, I meant honestly trying to sitfly :P. He claimed he was abled to hold it for a while .

my best way to do it is a slow frontloop, stopping in a sit, and after that going on the back in the other direction :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I was jumping into downtown Atlanta years ago from the local TV station's helicopter. The cameraman was harnessed to the door and standing out on the landing skid in front of me. When I got out I grabbed ahold of him and said "Do you wanna come with me?" You should have seen how fast the color went out of his face ... it was really funny to me, although I'm sure he told his buddies a death story later. :)