LouDiamond

AN 72 boogie interest

One of many things the event organizers,Rolf,myself and a few others are trying to do to make this boogie even better is to make it easier for more wingsuiters from the USA to attend next years event. The event organizers have approcahed Rolf and I with an idea. They are considering chartering an aircraft to fly wingsuiters from the USA directly to Germany and return if enough interest is shown. Right now this is just an idea they have but if enough positive feedback is received the event organizers will continue to pursue this idea and more specifics on the Date, Airport, Price, etc will follow.

So if you're a wingsuiter in the USA and you would consider this option over taking a commercial flight please vote or send your feedback to Rolf at rolf.brombach (@) freenet.de.

Other skydiver concessions are also being worked on such as hotel,food and transportation deals for everyone who attends the event, no matter what country you are from. If enough wingsuiters register for next years event, the event organizers have already said they will bring in a second AN-72 so we could potentially put 140 wingsuits in the sky at one time. Exciting times no matter which way you slice it. :)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

How many U.S. wingsuiters attended last year? It looks like 3 were on the 69 way....how many others were at the boogie? Is "www.mdskydive.de" the only web-site with info on this boogie? ...the English translation option does not appear to be working. I am trying to get as much info on this boogie as possible as I want to get my vacation plans locked in and recruit some other Northeast birds.

How many U.S. wingsuiters attended last year? It looks like 3 were on the 69 way...how many others were at the boogie?

That is correct. There were relatively few wingsuiters from the USA there as not many had ever heard of the AN-72 boogie. There were however a lot of Europeans from just about every country you can name. The atmosphere and size of the venue is similar to WFFC;it is by no means a small boogie as there were slightly over 900 people registered and 8000 jumps made in 6 days.

Is "www.mdskydive.de" the only web-site with info on this boogie?

That is the offcial web site of the boogie and where one gets their registration form from when it is put up for next years event.For specific information dealing with the wingsuit portion of the event either myself, Rolf or the Birdman website will have more details as the time groes nearer. Of course there is the current Cochstedt thread here in the wingsuit forum that has information in it. As more details are ironed out, I will create a new thread with specifics and information for those travelling to this event.

I am trying to get as much info on this boogie as possible as I want to get my vacation plans locked in and recruit some other Northeast birds.

Feel free to ask me here or to send me a PM :)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

And I guess at least 6000 of those 8000 were made on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, because the boogie didn't really get up to speed until Friday, and not even fully then. Back-to-back meant the plane .. I suspect next year will be all-out jumping starting Tuesday morning.

And it's nothing like the WFFC - there is nothing but a Jet B|
Johan.
I am. I think.

Because the boogie also wasnt that wel known within the EU, many people only went for the last 3 or 4 days last year (as did we)

The atmosphere, plane, location and the people that where there made everyone plan to come for the entire week next year...

Its going to be huge...and you'll be feeling baaaaaaad if you miss this one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I guess at least 6000 of those 8000 were made on Friday, Saturday and Sunday,

I am not sure what the exact break down per day was. All the figures were given to me from the event organizers after the event. Next years boogie might have additional (smaller)aircraft or quite possibly another AN-72 if enough people register for the event. The possibility of 2 An-72s running back to back loads with a 5 minutes to altitude climb has the potential to put 280 jumpers in the sky in about 20 minutes time. I also would not be surprised to see the pace of things pick up earlier next year after the success of this past event. Either way you look at it, we won't be sucking in Cochstedt;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

do you have a rough estimate of the total cost of the trip.(ballpark)

Thats a tough one to answer and the batteries in my crystal ball just died.;) A lot depends on how much your flight ends up costing you. In my case, I actually found it was cheaper for me to travel to the UK for a few days and then catch a flight from the UK to Germany and return than to fly directly to Germany and return. What I recommend for those travelling from the US to Germany to do is split the cost of things like vehicle rental and hotel room with others to reduce overall cost. Since the dollar is weak right now compared to the Euro, you don't get as much bang for your buck but that could change by next year for better or worse. I would say take a look at airfare prices and then factor in your half of a week of vehicle rental and your room fee,(which is per idividual even if you share a room with someone else), jump tickets and food. Hopefully some of the Brits will chime in as they had everything broken down to the pence once we got back to the UK.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Maybe it's cheaper to fly to Schiphol,holland. We have a get together in the weekend before Cochstedt.
Saterday,Sunday jumping in Schaffen,Belgium. Monday do Amsterdam.
Thuesday drive to Cochstedt,Germany.

If someone is interrested send me a mail.
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

A little update for those already coming or those who are thinking of coming to the event, I just received an e-mail from Loic confirming he has booked Cochstedt in his date book. Next year is already looking like it is going to be more fun than the last one. :)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A small update: I just got done speaking with Rolf on this topic. There is an airline company in Germany called Condor (kind of ironic eh?) that flies from Frankfurt to Orlando, Las Vegas and Alaska. Rolf is working the details out with them currently as to price,etc. We are figuring for 30 people +/- right now and once we are given an estimate from the airliner we will make it public and start booking people as soon as possible. Likewise, if it doesn't look good, we will let everyone know so they can go ahead and book commercial flights instead. More to follow.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sweet....thanks for the update. I checked out Condor's website and it looks like their regular schedule in the summer to and from Orlando and Frankfurt is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The online quote for a regular (i.e. non charter) flight is about $750 roundtrip. On Expedia and Orbitz the quotes were about $1,100. It would be awesome if we could get the charter as it would be a fun trip! Thanks for the legwork in trying to make this happen.

Latest update: I have been back in contact with Condor again and am still awaiting for an answer on the possibility of chartering an aircraft or a group rate. If nothing is resolved by the end of the month(Jan) I will let everyone know so they have plenty of time to make other travel arrangements. I have also compiled a FAQ for the boogie and will post it in the coming days for all those who are planning on attending.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As far as I know at this time (January), I am the only one of the Texas BoyZ that has interest in participating across the pond. I think it is a novel opportunity to meet some Euro-Flyers I see posting here a lot.

I have marked it on my calendar, although a lot of ducks have to line up to make it happen for me. Count me in for now.

BlueSkies, BF aka FB

Old Guys Rock!