freeflychef

Leg BOC on skyflyer 3

Howdy Y'all ---First post---- Late bloomer
I am a wing suit fanatic, on tract to becoming an instructor in the next year. (money permitting) I recently purchased a skyflyer 3 (best for my body type) It is set up with a leg BOC! I will be skydiving exclusively. Are there any advantages or dis advantages to the leg BOC... It seems to be more comfortable to use this method of throw out, but if it is not recommended for skydiving well Hell I won't use it. Being the only advanced wingflyer that regurally flies at my DZ advise from the world of flockers is greatly appreciated!

Mikel "The Skydiving Chef"
www.theskydivingchef.com
"Chef Mikel "
www.theskydivingchef.com
Always remember:
Eat safe, & Use condiments

Firstly, "leg bottom of container" makes no sense. :P

I have never used a leg pouch and don't think it's necessary for skydiving, but it can be used successfully. However you will want to be belly to earth and stable for the whole flight. Instability/acrobatics/backflying can cause the PC to come out prematurely. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

sure - dont do a highspeed pass :S:D

You can w/ no problem, but do you also want to sew velcro onto your bridal for the pouch, especially if you are doing non WS jumps quite a bit still? It would just result in more wear and tear on your boc pouch in the end (for non WS jumps).

.. and what 111 said too.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I'm guessing that you're saying the suit has a base pouch for the pilot chute on it. If that's the case my personal opinion is that I don't like them. I've found the pull to be awkward and besides, the arm wings just aren't in the way enough on an S3 to really be a problem unless you're base jumping. In that case the base pouch is an important feature.

Two other reasons I don't like them is that 1) they generally aren't secure enough for back flying and 2) you now have either the BOC or the base pouch position to pull from (depending on whether you jump the WS or not). If you're in a spot where you need to grab it right now, where is it? I like my pull handle to be in the same place all the time.

But other folks like them ....

Scott

But other folks like them ....

I'm one that likes them. I've used mine for the last 200 wingsuit dives or so.

Almost everyone I know has fumbled for their hacky at some point over the past 200 dives. A couple of BASE jumpers have died from it.

I tend to take my deployments down a bit (in skydiving terms) to the point where two or three extra seconds would be not good. (Not BAD - but not good.)

I'm not the fastest Geko on the wall - but snapping on the pull when wearing a wingsuit has yet to happen to me.:D

The BASE PCP offers me one thing. Consistency.

The negatives..

1. The stitching measurement of the shrivel flap is important.
2. The Velcro wears out FAST - replace every 100 jumps or so.
3. Back flying etc is OK if the velcro is good - but a high speed exit combined with instability could make things interesting.
4. The PC can work itself out if running to the plane or while in the AC, so check it often.
5. The "extra" velcro should be covered to prevent wear on your container.

But other folks don't like them...;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The reason I don't get out much is because I own the cafe at Skydive dallas. So I am stuck there. Most of my jumping is done during the week with an occasional jump with a fellow wing flier on the weekend
"Chef Mikel "
www.theskydivingchef.com
Always remember:
Eat safe, & Use condiments

Hi Mikel,

I was an avid user of the base pouch on my S3 and S3-s for a few hundred jumps.

I found the position of the hackey to be very natural and the pull sequence to be trouble free.

There were one or two things to keep tidy, however. Firstly, the Velcro had to be watched. I replaced the “sleeve’ after each 100 jumps. Also, the pilot chute was always rolled long and slender, to enable it to occupy the longer pouch of the S-3.

My S3-s pouch was a lot wider than the S-3. So I started to make a shorter and much wider pilot chute bundle for it.

All was well until I had a premature deployment at 14,000 one day. It was a 6 way flock exit from a Skyvan. There was no violence in the exit – but the guy beside me simply brushed against me as we exited – and out came the pilot chute. Being under canopy at 14,000 means for a long ride down – further complicated when lots of cloud about.

So when that happened I retired the base pouch and have gone back to BOC ever since. I do not plan to return to the base pouch at this stage.

That’s my 2 cents.

Blue Skies,

Fergs
BMCI