Zeemax

Jarno 'the great's latest video

Jarno's latest video of the 45 way flock in germany absolutely fucking rocks.

I just keep watching it and getting goose bumps, not just because its a truely awesome video (which it of course is), but because it shows how our tiny little minority discipline is slowly starting to progress and get bigger and bigger.

We had 45 flyers all in the same air space flying a formation. Yes some of the back part of the formation isn't as close as it could be, but on the whole, considering the varying skill levels we had on that jump, i think it was fucking marvelous.

I used to get excited knowing there would be 10 pilots in the air at the same time, but here we are now building 45 ways which aren't total cluster fucks, and aren't just a big V. This was a wedge. There people in the middle.

The ground shots of the video are simply stunning. We look like a massive fucking swarm in the sky.

I love this sport and i love the way its heading. Its only going to get bigger and better in the future.

What upsets me is this constant argument from narrow minded pilots... "no, no... my suit is better than yours because i can totally out fly your mother..."

WHO CARES? Surely we all share the same dream? We all want to fly free and thats what we do. There were suits from pretty much every manufaturer on that 45 way jump and everyone was happy.

Some people enjoy flocking, and some people like to just fly on their own. Its all good. Theres room for everyone. We are already a tiny micro cosim in an already minorty sport, we should be helping each other out, not bitching about suits.

If you haven't yet seen the video, you should definately check it out www.bird-man.com If it doesn't give you the horn, you're in the wrong sport ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

WHO CARES? Surely we all share the same dream? We all want to fly free and thats what we do. There were suits from pretty much every manufaturer on that 45 way jump and everyone was happy.

Amen to that, brother!

Cheers,

Costyn.

p.s. Phoenix-Fly sucks!
p.p.s. Just kidding of course!!!
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I agree it must have been a wonderous event, its a great and inspiring video and thats mutually agreed apon fantastic sentiment in the bulk of your post.

Except the little bit of whiney ness towards the end. This is the wingsuit forum there is no whining allowed ( refer to the Rdub forum). It might detract from otherwise uplifting contributions of text or video that you or others might post.

Stay positive and keep your glide up SadMax.:)

I just keep watching it and getting goose bumps, not just because its a truely awesome video (which it of course is), but because it shows how our tiny little minority discipline is slowly starting to progress and get bigger and bigger.

I know what you mean and I am glad people are starting to see the "big picture" of what can be accomplished and where we can go with it if we continue to do it correctly. I am anticipating next year to be even more challenging and the flying to be even better now that people know what can be done and what they are capable of doing.I am still very impressed with everyones flying and ability to work together on all of those dives. There was absolutely no animal acts, zooming or individuals doing their own thing on those dives, everyone cooperated together. People pushed themselves skill wise yet flew responsibly and it showed in the flocks. When you really stop and think about the experience levels and jump numbers many of the people involved had coming into this event for a moment, it really is quite impressive and a credit on their behalf.

The ground shots of the video are simply stunning. We look like a massive fucking swarm in the sky.

I liked the ground shots as well, especially the break offs. I wish Jarno had copied my breakoff footage from above the formation as it always amazed me how well as a group we broke off and the separation everyone obtained.The visual of that many suits flying so close together and then suddenly disappearing in a starburst of speed was very cool to watch.

There were suits from pretty much every manufaturer on that 45 way jump and everyone was happy.

There was at least one suit from every established manufacturer present during many of the flocks throughout the boogie. None had any issues flying with the group and we had what many would consider very fast flocks(50's). I spoke to and worked with the few people who said they were having a problem with the pace during the debriefs and afterwards they found themselves in the middle or front of the flock, to include a very petite 4'8" female in a Classic. All of which goes back to what I have always said, it's not about the suit but the pilot in it. Fly your body to the situation at hand, don't let the suit dictate or fly you.

I love this sport and i love the way its heading. Its only going to get bigger and better in the future.

Wait until you see what I am already planning for next years boogie;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I liked the ground shots as well, especially the break offs. I wish Jarno had copied my breakoff footage from above the formation as it always amazed me how well as a group we broke off and the separation everyone obtained.The visual of that many suits flying so close together and then suddenly disappearing in a starburst of speed was very cool to watch.

What height were you guys breaking off, was there any staging involved?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Most jumps were from 16.5 and we broke off at 5 grand with no one opening until 4 grand or lower. For at least two of the bigger ways, where we got out at 18.6 and 18.3, we broke at 6 with no one opening until 4 or lower again.

If there was 3 or 4 different groups on the load, we alternated flight pattern directions to facilitate separation and assure clean airspace for break off and deployment. Due to the winds aloft, the big group always took a right hand pattern so that on break off and deployment no one was caught down wind or on the other side of the runway.This way no one found themselves tracking off and deploying into a previous wing suit group. Unless you have actually been to this DZ, there is no way to accurately describe how huge it is and how much airspace we had available. When 69 wing suits broke off and tracked away we had only 5 people actually land off of the airfield in an adjacent field. The 1st man out of the aircraft(Jules) landed just inside the east end of the airfield with all other jumpers landing on the 3 mile long airfield.Its truly a fantastic place to fly a lot of wingsuits safely.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There was some very nice footage in that video of at least one person right in slot in their BirdMan Classic. What suit you are wearing has positively no bearing on your ability to fly cleanly in a flocking environment.

There was even a guy in a slightly modified prodigy which he flew amazingly well. It's a bright blue suit and he just extended the leg wing some, but did nothing to the arm wings. At 00:52 you can see him flying perfectly next to the base. He was one of the first ones next to the base and he stayed there the whole jump too. Very impressive flying for having such small arm wings to work with.

Just found a pic as well (see attachment), he's flying to the left of the base.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

What upsets me is this constant argument from narrow minded pilots... "no, no... my suit is better than yours because i can totally out fly your mother..."

Yes that is so f...... annoying!

What upsets me in wingsuit flying is absolutely nothing, it is all good...... If it upset me I wouldn't attend.

Well that nakid picture of the gramma was pretty upsetting but after a while it is just .... Heh.

If its considered an argument, would the term narrow minded describe the people on both sides of this tired old discussion? Would it include persons describing a suit as too big and glidey to fly comfortably in the average flock, Too much for the average pilot? Or are they victims too? Or are they just funny?