SkydiveMonkey

Leg straps coming loose

My legstraps keep coming loose in the plane and it's getting more than a little annoying now. what's the best way to keep em tight? I thought about putting a bungie over the hardware, but I can't undo my legstraps cos the ends are folded over and have been sewn so they won't fit through the hardware.

What kind of container and what hardware is on it?

I had that problem with my Infinity with stainless. Solved it by changing the way I stow the excess leg strap. I used to fold it over and stow it so that the top of the folded part of the legstrap was a quarter inch or so from the hardware and the elastic keeper was in the middle of the fold. Now I stow them by running the excess through the elastic and then folding it and "stuffing" it into the leg pad so that all of the folded strap is inside the leg pad. The main difference is that the hardware lays flat the way I do it now instead of being slightly angled the way I used to do it.

Would make more sense if I posted pictures of both ways I think...

Maybe put the elastic keepers at the top so that any slippage would suck the keeper into the hardware too and lock it.

You can always put a second set of keepers (or bungee) on the straps if you feel you need them down the bottom to keep the excess in place.

No-one has suggested that there could be something wrong with your hardware, is that a possibility? Are the buckle things (technical term ;)) clean and undamaged? Have you compared them to a set which doesn't have this problem?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Are you sure they are actually coming loose? I see many people tighten their legstraps on the ground(while standing), but then when you sit down they seem looser due to the way your body is positioned....so they tighten 'em up while sitting, which can make them TOO tight when you get under canopy. Are they loosening enough that you can actually see it?

Mike

I have had this problem with a Javelin rig. I had stainless steel and though it was the new supposed system that limited slipping, I had a few instances during flight where I had performed a nice hook turn and the leg strap suddenly loosened. Basically I had to counter with a toggle and prepare for the upcoming damage. :o
A lot of hear in Southern California use Surf wax on the leg straps to give some grip between the hardware and leg strap. It really works well and doesn't really show if you do it in the right spot. You only need to re-apply after around fifty jumps or so I found depending on how liberal you are with the first application...
This is simply an easy way to get around the problem which is don't order stainless for your leg straps...

B|

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

The upper leg pad above the hardware on my rig is only sewn down on the inside. This allows me to double back the excess legstrap up over the threadthrough and store it in the upper leg pad. If I store the straps the usual way, they slip every time. doubled back, it's very secure.

The keeper is above the hardware instead of below. I don't know if this is possible on the tear drop since I don't know what the pads look like.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

*** My legstraps keep coming loose in the plane and it's getting more than a little annoying now.

Does this only happen in the plane? Not under canopy?

The leg straps must be under tension to be locked in place. So if your leg straps are a bit loose (and thus not under permanent tension) they will slip. Under canopy the legstraps will be under tension and thus should not slip. If they slip under canopy you have a serious problem you need to have fixed!

I will suggest that you try to tighten your leg straps a bit more (0.5 to 1 inch).

- Jacques

:)Also check if your leg-pads themselves are not too long. When they meet up after you have tightened your leg-straps, they might prevent the hardware from laying flat and engaging the leg-strap correctly.
Apart from that, most everything else may have been addressed.