Aviatrr

Wings container

A friend of mine is planning on buying a new container to replace his third hand, 8 year old Jav....and the Wings is at the top of the list so far. One thing we have not been able to determine for sure is whether or not they offer the fully articulated harness(meaning with chest and hip rings)? Based on the order forms and all the pics I've seen of Wings containers, they do not.

If they do not offer chest rings at all, how does the comfort compare between the Wings and a rig with a fully articulated harness?

Mike

To my knowledge Sunrise Rigging doesn't currently offer the chest articulation. That'd be best answered by them, though, so if I was you, I'd drop them a line tomorrow.

As for comfort...well, I've jumped quite a few different models of rigs, some with chest articulation, some with no articulation whats so ever, etc. Over all, I've found that my Wings is by far one of the most comfortable. Then again, it was cut specifically for me, which does make a huge difference.

With a bit over 400 jumps on my Wings, I couldn't be happier with it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

apparently they dont offer it cos of the way they design their hip rings. They are higher and a full circle as opposed to a ring and block design that many other rigs used. Apparently this makes it fit as though it did have chest rings.

there are (suposedly) disadvantages to chest rings too though... they can allow the harness to shift round on you under a mal obscuring your handles. (just recounting an earlier thread).

no chest rings at all, but _very_ comfortable. Just got my new one this weekend. Can't really see the advantage of chest rings anyway, the rigs i tried with them had them pressing and uncomfy.
Great container.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

there are (suposedly) disadvantages to chest rings too though... they can allow the harness to shift round on you under a mal obscuring your handles. (just recounting an earlier thread).

There was a report in the last ASM of a jumper that cut away and then tried to deploy his reserve by pulling on a chest ring. I didn't work. Then he looked properly and dumped his reserve. :o

I think that the cypres fired, but didn't cut the loop.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Relative Workshop has maintained that if you cut the shoulder yoke properly, there is no need for chest rings. Remember that the main function of the chest strap is to allow you to pull the main lift webs closer together. If the shoulder yoke is a snug fit, then the chest strap becomes a formality.

Bottom line, hip rings make a big difference in comfort and chest rings only make a small difference.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't bend at the chest. If a rig is properly sized and cut, you shouldn't need them.

But they're shiney and look cool. Why wouldn't you want them?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I went from a Javelin with hip and chest rings to a Wings with just hip rings. I can tell you without a doubt that the Wings is MUCH more comfortable than the Javelin was.

I was skeptical at first, but the people at Sunrise were right. If the hip ring is round and the harness is cut right, chest rings serve no purpose.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I don't know about you guys, but I don't bend at the chest. If a rig is properly sized and cut, you shouldn't need them.

But they're shiney and look cool. Why wouldn't you want them?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are right.
I completely forgot about "LCF."
Look Cool Factor drives far more buyers' decisions than fit or performance.
-
Jim