nicknitro71

WS cutaway

Third cutaway total, second in the year, second with a WS.

Exit: 10000
Aircraft: C182
Depl: 2000
Main: E-mod Alpha 99
Reserve: Tempo 150
Container: Jav TJN with RSL
WS: E-mod S3
PC: 28" 9' bridle
Other: BASE pouch PC

I usually dump by 3K with a WS. On that flight things just felt too good. It was the first time that I really thought "I could land this!" At 5K I maxed out and I was in the zone, no doubt. I passed 3k and I just wanted to go few more sec. At 2K I dumped. I don't know if my throw was sloppy but I did feel the hesitation (first time it ever happened). I probably tilt my head to look what was up, that probably initiated a slow spin, more like a skid actually.

Next thing I am under my main with what it looks like a one full twist (360). A second later I'm on my black spinning like a mother. Clink-clink the main is gone and before I put my hand on the silver my Tempo was already over my head with no twist flying like a baby by 1000'.

The main ended up in the river and I took us over one hour to get it. We had to get a canoe and it was quite an adventure following the damn thing. The current was quite strong and the canopy was slowly sinking. I lost the free-bag.

Conclusion: If you are jumping a small elliptical with a WS do pull by 3K. It might be advisable not to jump a small canopy with a WS :$.

When the shit hits the fan do not dick around.

This is my second cutaway with an RSL. In both circumstances I was spinning on my back under a small canopy. In both circumstances my reserves got out before I was able to touch the sliver with no line twist. By the way I use to hands to cutaway.

The other cutaway It was a terminal deployment with no RSL on a super stable position. I had a full line twist, go figure.

I do not want to start another RSL thread by the way, just give you the story.
Memento Audere Semper

Nick,
glad to hear you're OK. Your conclusion is what I tell people all the time. The few extra seconds of flight gained from pulling lower aren't worth it IMO, given what the outcome could possible be. So how do you like those CF trailing edges?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott,

You are absolutely right but there is no substitute for ground rush :P

Seriously speaking, on a skydive especially if you are jumping a tiny canopy, pull by 3 if not higher, listen to the experts (Scott and others).

IMO the CF trailing edges make a huge difference. The suit is easier to fly, feels more solid, and the performance window is greater. I've hit my all time best ever since the mod. I was ready to get a lower performance suit for BASE but now I am keeping my S3 because I feel very comfortable with it.

In all honesty it was a shot in the dark. To me it made a great deal of sense so I gave it a shot and it worked.

The cons are the wings are "roomier" in the airplane and the leg pouch PC I think it's mandatory with this set up.
Memento Audere Semper

Sure,

I'll try to post them in the next few days.

There are two pieces/arm wing and three on the leg wing.

Disclaimer:

I can post the details on the construction if interested but be aware that you can easily fuck up the suit permanently. Working with CF is a bitch!
Memento Audere Semper

but pulling at 2k instead of 3.5k adds half a minute

Yuri, coming from someone who usually exits at 2K (or lower) that might not be a tip everyone should follow hehehe :P ;)

Another story...

I just heard about a french wingsuit cutaway, where the jumper wanted to cut away his main. And decided to chop his wings first. In doing so, his mind told him he had performed a cutaway already, and after chopping the wings, he went for the reserve-handle straight-away.

Everything ended well, but it made me wonder if anyone ever heard anything like this before ('confusing' the pulling of your suits cutaway-handles with your rigs cutaway-handle?)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey Nick,

Congrats on getting off that main with no hesitation and to a very successful outcome on that jump.

Altitude to spare is a very good thing to have. I believe (and preach) that 3000 feet is a comfortable height to actually be fully deployed by on a wingsuit jump.

I had a malfunction after a WS flight a few weeks back. It was my third mal in 32 years. In fact, my last reserve ride was 1981. So this mal was:

• First square reserve ride
• First WS mal
• First cutaway using 3 ring system
• 1981 was a total so no cutaway
• 1977 mal was a cutaway using something called tapewells, which were based on the old capewell releases but with webbing and Velcro replacing some of the parts.
• First mal this millennium

Can anyone beat 24 years between malfunctions.

Blue Skies,

Fergs
BMCI

What was the mal? Were you flying the Pilot listed in your profile?

Hey Matt,

Are you coming to the Summerfest Boogie at Byron Bay? Maybe we could put you on one of the BMI courses... you could leave as a BMI.

Yes, the mal was under my Pilot. It was an entirely unexciting malfunction. I had twists that refused to unwind. I’d kick out two or three, relax for a few seconds and it’d wind in another couple. Did this a few times and got to 1800’. So it was simply time to get off it.

Blue Skies,

fergs
BMCI

That's great news - now I just need to convince him to make it to the boogie? Hmmmm,

Feel free to start the lucrative offers! :D

Seriously, I appreciate the invite and it sounds like a blast, I also would love to visit Australia not just for the skydiving, but I can't afford it time and money wise right this minute. Maybe next time. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What the heck is CF? And why?

CF= Canopy Formation
And Why...because they are afraid of freefall:P

But I think Carbon Fiber is what he's talking about.
To prevent flapping of the wing, because flapping is drag, and drag means less-then optimal flight?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?