voodew1

High speed passes

After further review I revoke my previous "nice" post.

This is not a hit on anyone, just a few comments. I don't dislike any of the individuals here, I just do not like their actions. These actions that could affect ALL OF US flying wingsuits in the future.

Wether or not it was on purpose (There are tiny doubts), I think this was entirely unsafe, UNCOOL, . This is irrevelant of the pilots flying skills. One little tweak from either of the people close in the video and this would be in the incident forum.

Guys lets use a little common sense here.

Flame me if you want, but I feel this needed to be said.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Good call Leroy. Honestly this was a situation that occurred due to a poor plan. No blame on anyone in particular but I guess the whole group is to blame. The 3 person base on this dive had very little experience in wing suit flying. Their job was to exit then make a 90 degree turn then turn towards the airport and form a V during this pattern. The base 3-way maintained aircraft heading "only". The group got spread out during the exit and visibility was not real great. When the people that got left behind flew to the formation... the formation was flying in the opposite direction that it was suppose to be making a head on collision possible. Closing speeds were well... you saw! As you can see from the video that person took evasive action. My hat is off to them.

We need to think a little harder on who we choose to be the base. Someone with experience and a sense of direction? Yes.

This might be a bit more than 2 cents:

I think the experience levels were not the safest for it, but nothing was wrong with the dive plan itself. It was like doing a Blue Angels/Thunderbirds show (where they fly at each other banked at opposing 90s) with low-time pilots. I cannot condemn the dive plan merely because it's riskier than regular WS, just like I cannot condemn swooping simply because it is riskier than regular landings, and swooping is even at the top of the incident reports. It was not a surprise manuever, so everyone knew of and accepted the risks of the dive during the planning, just like on every other dive plan. Anybody who does not understand and accept the risks and hazards is potentially a hazard themselves, and shouldn't be on a dive they don't understand or have the skill for. Skydiving is about freedom so arbitrarily and subjectively condemning/outlawing/etc certain dive plans just because it's riskier defeats the purpose, not to mention how many things would have to be banned (CRW, FF, CP, speed diving, just about everything fun)
Basically with better pilots it could have been done reasonably safely (or safer than it was).

TR
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Skydiving is about freedom

but not at the expense of the other jumpers.. just because my bike can go 180mph does not make it safe.

so arbitrarily and subjectively condemning/outlawing/etc certain dive plans just because it's riskier defeats the purpose, not to mention how many things would have to be banned (CRW, FF, CP, speed diving, just about everything fun)

No one wants to "arbitrarily and subjectively ondemning/outlawing/etc " wingsuit flying. See above motorcycle comment.

Basically with better pilots it could have been done reasonably safely (or safer than it was).

Safer with more experianced people? Maybe safer, Eh, not so much... I believe that this was more of a stunt (accidental or not)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

OK here it goes---wish it was planned but we had a very new maybe 4 flights who was to set base - she didn't turn left 90 soon enough so as the base was still on line of flight as the others were heading to join the flock thinking it was heading the opposite direction. This was not a stunt it was a close call which changed how all of the other flocks were planned for the rest of the weekend.

1st off high speed passes out of the van are not the best exit procedure for bigger flocks due to seperation caused by everyone trying to pop above the plane. This seperation causes others to not be so aware of direction of the intended base which can lead to near head on collisions.

Luckily everyone was ok and Perry was able to fold up and shoot through the gap -- it made for a cool but scary fly by.

I would never even with the best of flyers try to duplicate this again - I was wigged out a little by the way the whole thing happened. I would estimate the cloing speed to be near 175mph -thats a guess- which misjudging by inches 2 seconds out could spell a double fatality.

I posted the video as requested for the purpose of showing how fast closing speeds could be with wingsuits - I was shocked it took so long for someone to step up to the plate and say how dangerous it could be.

The video is awesome in some aspects but an extremely close call on all levels

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Luckily everyone was ok and Perry was able to fold up and shoot through the gap -- it made for a cool but scary fly by.

Yea, would be nice to hear Perry's point of view, too bad he's not on here anymore [:/]

showing how fast closing speeds could be with wingsuits -

Well, of course if you fly 2 V1s you'll get closure rates even higher than in this instance, around 250 MPH. It's the closest anybody will get to demonstration teams regularly doing the same in fighter jets closing around 800 MPH.B|
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Okay not to start any kind of trouble here but

it was all planned out

then you went on to say:

wish it was planned

So I am am a bit dense...was it or was it not planned?
Or did I miss something? Whatever the case may be I would have to agree with leroy.

Okay not to start any kind of trouble here but

it was all planned out

then you went on to say:

wish it was planned

So I am am a bit dense...was it or was it not planned?
Or did I miss something?

I think you missed the smiley in his original post.

I took that as meaning "yeah, it was all planned...sure..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think you missed the smiley in his original post.

I took that as meaning "yeah, it was all planned...sure..."

I saw the smiley... but between the words in the post and the "don't try this at home, we're trained professionals" caption in the video, I honestly believed it was planned, when I first saw the post and video. I'm still sort of shocked something like this could happen accidentally with such good pilots. :|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I was shocked it took so long for someone to step up to the plate and say how dangerous it could be.

Sometimes silence can speak volumes. In this case, I think everyone who has seen the video thought at some point to themselves how incredibly dangerous and irresponsible that was(planned or not).
Leroy

The plan was for the base to turn 90 and hold heading...I was last out and most know, I kinda get up over the plane on high speed passes.If the base turns 90 as i reach full alltidude and kinda stall...I roll over and dive for my slot.I see a three way edge,kinda spread out,and got to it,as i flatten out,I realize that oh yes, shit!!! ITS COMING at me...f#cken birds spread out all above and behind.So flaren and going over is not option,only choice was to go low.SO THIS WAS NOT A STUNT...was a mistake on my part.
lesson learned and hope others can learn to stick to dive plan,direction of flight,even when its marginal visability
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

[:/] in light of the incedent,this is to show what can happen when dive plans are not always followed!! This was NOT done on purpose and the reason it was posted ...to show just how fast we are flying and the potential for mishap!!!lets all try to learn from this and I know that after 2000 ws jumps...i still can make a mistake!! But for those new to the wingworld.....stop picken at a scab that hasnt had time to heal......we all agree that this was not cool,not to be repeated...Please dont post just to stick pins into others...........
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Perry I think some are just watching the video, making a reply and not reading the forums. Maybe I shouldn't have made the video to look like a stunt, but I thought it more enteraining.

Bet you wish you didn't tell me to put it out there now;)

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Bet you wish you didn't tell me to put it out there now;)

Thank you for doing it anyway.

And thank you, Perry, for being willing to share this with us all, even though you might take some flak for it.

Sharing this kind of thing is how we can all learn from each others experiences.

If you stop learning (and making mistakes--a necessary part of learning), you may as well just go sit on the couch and wait to die of old age.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com