outrager

Vampire chronicles

Yo !

Just got back from a bit of training in Lysebotn. Made 7 flights off Smell #1 in winds ranging from strong West to light East. The best flight was around 2.2km mark (the field behind White House) riding the wind and updrafts by the wall pulling around 200m, the worst 1.6km (the first field) fighting the headwind and downdrafts, pulling around 100m. True glide in no wind conditions seems to be around 2.4, flying to 1.7km mark and opening reasonably high. Flight time was around 56..60sec. Obviously some room for improvement, and somebody with a better body type can get a really, really good flight there.

Off to the big walls, to be continued!

bsbd!

Yuri.

Yo!

More flights off various big mountains... it flies better bit by bit, the best glide so far is 2.5 (1100m, 2.1km with 200+m dirty high pull after running out of LZ. Totally still air at sunset). Seems to start very quick, which is a good thing as many of the new big flights have somewhat of a sketchy start. More to come, will hopefully do a bunch of 1800..2300m flights soon.

Oh, compared to my old S3 prototype, V1 starts a bit faster and the glide is marginally better, but it keeps improving (i have 3 years experience on S3 and only 2 month on V1).

bsbd!

Yuri.

Yo !

A lot of various cliffs done around France. 4 new fligts in 600..1700m range opened (from existing 200..300m cliffs). The taller one is a fun place with absolutely no landing options between 0.5 and 3km marks. Nice flights from other high mountains: 1600m with a scary very underhung wall to start and another 1800m with a long flat plato to pass were particularily nice. Many places require a glide of around 2+ to reach LZ or use all of the altitude, which is a joke in this suit. Nevertheless you must fly good, start quickly and be very consistent with your exit, as the walls are generally low (300m range) and there are ledges to jump/fly over. Some are do-or-die either on exit or in mid-flight. Access is a sensitive issue and you must talk to and preferrably go with locals.

Glide keeps improving and stands around 2.5+. Somebody with a better body type will definitely reach 3.

Starting the suit is getting very, very quick. I now feel comfortable at low and underhanging exits, which are plenty everywhere!

Now, with more experience on V1, it is a HUGE improvement over S3 and it opens up the whole new world of flying!!! I cannot even describe it here: something like a kid from Moab that went to Norway for the first time is a good analogy ;-)

More to come later, moving on to Italy and Switzerland.

P.S. Tom, maybe move this to BASE forum?

bsbd!

Yuri.

very cool post. Even as a nubee....Stuff like this make you re think how fast you want to take this. The more i learn the more i take it slower ..

Thank's for the great read, ChrisB|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Yo!

I am having a massive wingsuit overdose. Many more walls done in Switzerland and Italy, and quite a few coming. Looking with wingsuit eyes, there are literally hundreds of possible flights all over the place - more so if you feel comfortable with low and positive walls. My current comfort zone is 200+m, but the suit starts flying way before that.

Got to do a few fun flights on Prodigy, and now it's my favorite tool for easy walls that don't require do-or-die starts or very long glides. Prodigy has a bit higher wing loading, so it starts a tiny bit slower, but then it goes very fast - and if you fly it right it glides at 1.5+ without much effort. It has a very different feel from a regular ram-air arm wing suit. You notice right away if the wing is not flying, where on a Classic for example you can go vertical and still think that everything is great :)

On V1 and BOC/leg pouch issue: i have finally had a couple of small fumbles with BOC, and may eventually convert to a leg pouch. So far it has not been a big deal, but then again i do not currently pull low. However i have been going almost vertical at pull time because of reaching around the PC and then sliding my arm along the bottom of the container to have a reliable clear grab. I do not like that and would prefer to continue to pull in full flight - so leg pouch it will be. Here you go Robi :$

Any experienced wingsuit flyers who want to have fun on new big scary walls in Dolomites - drop me a line! There till Aug 9.

bsbd!

Yuri.

put my first jump on the prodigy.only having flown two different suits, classic and prodigy, i have to say there is almost no comparison.. the prodigy blows the classic away ten fold... i especially liked the leg wing, and not having to unzip/buckle anything for landing, 80% of full range of motion in the legs (for walking to plane, gearing up, running out landing etc..) i also liked the lack of booties, replaced with the buckles or lace straps, whatever you want to call them... (put the suit on and youll see waht i mean)
another very cool feature was the ability to reach the risers immediatley... no unzipping, although if you wanted full range of motion you need to unbucke the wings as well..(again, wear the suit and youll see what i mean..) .. hats off to the phoenix crew for such a killer product...
the only cons i found were i thought the zippers could maybe be beefed up a bit, and it might be a bit twitchy for low-time jumpers... but then again these arent really suits designed for lowtimers anyway... if youre not confident, maybe you should stick to tracking dives and classiks...i dunno:)
this post wasnt particuarly in response to anyone..just kickin my ante into the pot.. take it as you will....

well.. you obviously know me.. and my skill set:S..the issue here is confidence.. in this sport, and all its disciplines, you either have what it takes or you dont.. numbers dont equal expiereince, and vice versa..i guess im just not as good as you...:P
edited to add- im not trying to get into a dick-showing off contest here... just attempting to provide relevant information for someone considering thier first wingsuit flights... if you have pleanty of tracking expierence,want a little more performance, and feel confident in the air 90% of the time.. try a prodigy... if you are of the weak-kneed or lean towards the more conservative type, stick with the classic... (and dont forget to undo your booties before you flare..lest you eat shit.. and ive witnessed this happen to jumpers with 3times as much expierence as i...) but thanks for your valuable input nonetheless....;)

Yo!

After chickening out of 140m start by the cable car, hiking down to a regular exit and flying uneventfuly, i find a postcard at the restaurant below that says a certain Swiss guy already did it a year and half ago! Lots of respect here...

Overdose is getting unbearable. Got a couple more walls done, not sure if anybody flew there before. Change of plans: will try another 2 or 3 and move back to France on the 4th. Come and play! :)
bsbd!

Yuri.

On V1 and BOC/leg pouch issue: i have finally had a couple of small fumbles with BOC, and may eventually convert to a leg pouch. So far it has not been a big deal, but then again i do not currently pull low.

yuri
do whatever it takes to ensure your continuing survival. something as seemingly insignificant as a gear modification may keep you going for decades to come B|.

be safe
long flights

kleggo

The trip is wrapping up but not quite over yet. 2 new walls just opened up in Dolomites, many more to do on the next trip. 22 walls that were new for me, many good old ones.

V1 made it over the football fields (3.7km mark) open at 200m (plenty of time to get booties off) at 1800m French site.

Prodigy easily flew over the bar at Italian Terminal Wall, also open around 200m - this is a glide of 1.8. It was my 5th flight ever on it, quite wobbly and dirty. With some skydiving practice Prodigy will reach 2.0.

Lots of fun!!! ;) Hope to see ya all again soon!

bsbd!

Yuri.

Yo !

The trip is finally over, with a grand total of 31 big cliffs. Plenty more left for the next season ;)

The world of wingsuit BASE is exploding at mind-blowing speed. The summer has been too much fun, and i would love to share this experience. Due to BASE ethics i cannot post site details (also access to many of the sites is very sensitive, and most are advanced as far as starting and flying a suit). Please contact the locals, they have been more than helpful and i cannot thank them enough! Maybe a good compromise is a short list of flights out there, by no means complete - just a compilation of the last trips to give you an idea and motivation :)
1x2150m
1x1800m
2x1700m
4x1600m
2x1500m
2x1400m
1x1300m
2x1200m
3x1100m
4x1000m
5x900m
2x800m
2x700m
Dozens in 400..600m range.

The whole world is flyable! :)
Oh, and since so many people have asked... i am not sponsored by Phoenix-Fly. I buy my own toys and fly whatever flies best at the moment. I do love my toys, though :)
bsbd!

Yuri.

uuhm....not to be rude or anything....but uhm.....wheres the video...

I'll be here...waiting for you all night :P

Just kidding ofcource...but MAN would I love to see some vid of your flights....!!
Just because I only jump em from planes, doesnt mean I don't get turned on by some good video...

VIDEEEOOOOOOO, VIDEOOOOO..okay...the voices tell me it's time to shut up now
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?