TALONSKY

I love wingsuit hop-n-pops

This weekend we had clouds so we could just do hop-n-pops but with a wingsuit it still is a blast. I did three jumps first one was from 4600 and I got 52 seconds of freefall. The second was at 4000 I got 36 seconds of freefall, and the last one was from 5000 I got 55 second of freefall. The other hop-n-pop ers loved the visual as did the others on the ground.
Kirk

Yeah man, I'm down with that. I've done a handful getting out infront of the static lines at 3500 and still getting some serious air time - like 30+ secs I think. Bit scary but a lot of fun :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I also love wingsuit hop n' pops :P

I use them for performance training, you get a much stronger feedback from the ground flying between 6000' - 3000' (+ or - ;)). By exiting over the same reference point for numerous flights you can see your progress by the distance you cover before deployment (and time if you so wish).
BASEstore.it

Due to cloudy weather, I did a 21 second wingsuit jump from 3500 ft to 2500 ft in Citrusdal last saturday.

It was an interesting visual for the other people on the ground...especially when I had a lot of spinning on opening (bad position). I should have open with my legs fully closed.

Laurent, autrefois sur l'ile de La Reunion
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/windsurf/skydive

ok, I know I'm new and all... but the math doesn't add up does it?

55 mph = 80.6 fps
50 mpg = 73.3 fps

2600 feet freefall / 80 fps = 32.5 seconds

i'm not sure how long it would take you to get to your avg fall rate under a wing suit but I would assume it wouldn't be too much different to getting to terminal under normal conditions?

am I missing something or are the numbers not that accurate?

i'm not suggesting your wrong about the length of freefall you've had, i'm just curious and trying to learn more about wingsuit jumping as I will persue it at some point after I've accumalated enough jumps and find a good mentor.

Thanks!

It doesn't take as long to get to terminal, as you start flying pretty soon after exit. also the freefall time and speeds if they come from a neptune or pro-track aren't entirely accurate because a bit of the exit and opening are included.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just wanted to mention that although some of us sometimes (as in this case) pull at our normal deployment height(for regular skydives without wingsuits). It is advisable to always pull higher when flying a wingsuit. It does take a little bit of time to deal with the unzipping the wings and the lower you are the less options you have if some unforseen problem (line twist, long time to unzip, malfunction) arise.
Kirk

It doesn't take as long to get to terminal, as you start flying pretty soon after exit.

Yes, you do start flying pretty soon but you don't reach terminal for a long time. The forward speed from the inertia on exit can stay with you for quite a bit of time depending on exit style.

This can make the hop-n-pops from a plane very long if you can handle the exit correctly.

Kris.

I generally try to leave in a poised exit from the strut, that way your flying right of the plane. The only thing I dislike about that is usually I end up having to turn 180° to fly back to the DZ which no matter how you turn you still lose some altitude(I will turn with my legs to avoid alot of altitude loss).

Here is my first (beer!) lower altitude jump, 50 sec from 5500 ft, opening 2000 ft... I first flew 30 seconds to plane direction, and then made 180 turn back to DZ direction...this time I got quite smooth ProTrack graph..increase in vertical speed during the turn is clearly visible after 30 seconds...:)

I also love wingsuit hop n' pops :P

I use them for performance training, you get a much stronger feedback from the ground flying between 6000' - 3000' (+ or - ;)). By exiting over the same reference point for numerous flights you can see your progress by the distance you cover before deployment (and time if you so wish).

I totally agree! While I only very rarely do low passes, I absolutely think they are fantastic for training. Jay Moledzki regularly goes a full minute from 5 grand (with very-legal skydiving openings). You can maintain a maxxed-out position for the duration of those low passes.

Chuck

I went out today on two low passes from 5500 and got 38 seconds after doing a big 180 on the first and 45 on the second. I could have gone a tad lower with the deployment, but I was happy having some room to play with.

Lots more visual feedback then from altitude.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com