flip2

WingSuit jumpping with Pull Out

In a word: "NO!"

BOC only

(with the exception of leg pouch for those who know what it is and understand the pros & cons)

Lots of information on this forum if you use the search function.

Check out: http://www.flybirdman.com

Also check out the V-1 manual on http://www.phoenix-fly.com/articles.htm

I have a friend who jumped pull out once with his ws. It resulted in a PC in tow. He managed to clear it by going headdown. Not cool. Short canopy ride..

Long flights,

J

edited for link error

I have read only the Bird-man flight manual some time ago. I remember it says very clear: "No pull-out". But it does not explain the reason. I imagine that the reason is simple: You can't use a pull out system because in this system you have to bring your arm much far away from you body to extract the pilot chute from inside the container. But, in wing suit jumps, you don't have this required amplitude for moving the arms.
You more experienced guys. Am I right? Or there is another reason?

Hi!

Is it possibel to jump a wing suit with a pull out system??

what ist the best suit for beginners???

can you give me some links??

flip2

Bird Man Flight Manual

Pheonix-Fly Flight Manual

Fly Your Body Gear Advise

DO NOT Use a pull out system.

Kris.

Leo Holanda

In my opinion, the best one for beginner is the cheapest one. Then, after you have some jumps, get an expert one like Skyflyer or S.3 or V-1 etc.
Classic like suits are very recommended because the wing profile is smaller. But I saw Jari giving FFC for a beginner with a GTi and he did very well. In his seconds wingsuit jump, I jumped with him was there was no control problem.

Hi!

Is it possibel to jump a wing suit with a pull out system??

what ist the best suit for beginners???

can you give me some links??

flip2

Leo Holanda

Your on the right track. Think about how the pull out system works and where the pilot chute is when your arm is at full extension while holding the pud. We all know that one wants to get the pilot chute into clean air and thats why in the Birdman manual and why BMI's stress that you vigorously throw your pilot chute at pull time. Pull outs are not recommended.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am not by any means giving advice (and if I were to give advice I'd say DON'T use a pullout), but I know of at least one person who does (or did) use one successfully for many jumps. I don't know all the details though and WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT.

Also, I jumped a GTI on my 2nd jump and know many jumpers who use it on their 1st jump. Very experienced skydivers (1000's of jumps) sometimes even jump S3's on their first jump. Classic is still the best choice.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

(with the exception of leg pouch for those who know what it is and understand the pros & cons)

dude,

you said 'leg pouch', huh-huh, huh-huh, huh-huh...

leg pouch must be WAY scary in (pun intended) a wingsuit! ;)

I'm guessing you meant BASE pouch, or I'm to stoopid to get the leg pouch bit...

cheers
sam

soon to be gone

I have one friend that does jump a pull-out system with a wingsuit and another that wanted to try it with his pull-out for more flexibility on rig choice. Both had thousands of jumps at the time and were experienced. I stated that it is frowned apon BUT friend #1 says it works for him, your millage may vary.

Friend #2 had a pilot chute in tow on the very first attempt. He had to reach back and pull the bridle at the apex of the PC to avoid a reserve ride.

Imediatly after Friend # 2 proceded to modify his rig with a BOC for use with convertable system.

Last I heard friend #1 has gone back to using his convertable system when using wingsuits and does not advocate the use of pull-outs with wingsuit despite it worked 100% of the time for him.

In a word: "NO!"

In another word, "Yes."

It's not recommendsed, however I can't seem to find a reason why.

300+ jumps with one on wingsuits. I'm not encouraging it, but it works. I do recomend anyone doing it have 8 to 10 foot bridles.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's not recommendsed, however I can't seem to find a reason why.

JP, do you do this on purpose? ;)

With the pull out system you position the PC much closer to the body than with the throw out. On WS this means that the PC is closer to the burble possibly causing a PC hesitation or a very sloppy bag extraction leading to possible twists.

I am not a fan of the POD system even for normal jumps. When it comes to WS jumps I am very much against it.

But hey if it has been working for you than it's all good!B|
Memento Audere Semper

With the pull out system you position the PC much closer to the body than with the throw out.

Untrue.

With most pull out systems you will expose the base of the P/C to the relative wing at full arm extention aproximately 4 inches inboard of your hand. This will alow the P/C to be positively placed in the airflow. In fact it is pulled from your grasp. On most hhrow out systems the deployment handle is attached to the TOP of the P/C.

I am not a fan of the POD system even for normal jumps.

Do you have a reason?

JP, do you do this on purpose?

What? Jump Pull out, or be annoying?:P:)

Do you have a reason?

To me it does not make any sense. The day I see a pull out on a BASE rig I might reconsider it ;)

JP, do you do this on purpose?

What? Jump Pull out, or be annoying?

The annoyng part is pretty obvious;)
Memento Audere Semper

The day I see a pull out on a BASE rig I might reconsider it

In the near future, on a double BASE ski jump, the second canopy will be deployed with a pullout. ;)

Edited to add:
When flying a wingsuit, the BEST possible way to get you PC into clean air for main canopy deployment, is with a throw out, period. :|
IMO, those that wish to fly with a pullout on a wingsuit are only giving themselves less of a chance to have a clean PC deployment, but it's their choice period, and it's not recommended by some of the most experienced wingsuit flyers in the world.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

To me it does not make any sense.

I supose your reserve is a throw out then?:P

The day I see a pull out on a BASE rig I might reconsider it

Right. So I'll be switching to a velcro closed main container shortly.....;)

The day I see a pull out on a BASE rig I might reconsider it ;)

I've seen a pull out BASE rig.

Come to think of it, I've also seen a near horseshoe on a BASE jump.

Still, I think I'll go with standard throw out BASE gear. But good for BASE is not necessarily the same as good for skydiving. Two different games, two different sets of equipment.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I supose your reserve is a throw out then?

Spring out;)

Right. So I'll be switching to a velcro closed main container shortly.....

I don't jump velcro closed rigs:P

I've seen a pull out BASE rig.

Tell us more Tom. It's a first for me!

I forgot: pull out does not make any sense to meB|
Memento Audere Semper

When flying a wingsuit, the BEST possible way to get you PC into clean air for main canopy deployment, is with a throw out, period.

I disagree. And somewhere I have video checking that out......."somewhere" being the operative word.:P

Do you have a reason?

To me it does not make any sense.

How about the fact that, in general, horseshoe and pilotchute-in-tow malufunctions are eliminated. And these are the two mals that you cannot cut away from (likely scenario with horseshoe) prior to deploying the reserve.

How about the fact that, in general, horseshoe and pilotchute-in-tow malufunctions are eliminated. And these are the two mals that you cannot cut away from (likely scenario with horseshoe) prior to deploying the reserve.

That's your opinion. In case of a horseshoe or a PC in tow I WILL cutway at the same time I pull the silver. Reason being there is a chance that the main deploys when the pressure of the reserve is released.

I don't think that the benefits you are talking about overcome the defecits of the system. Just my .02
Memento Audere Semper

That's your opinion. In case of a horseshoe or a PC in tow I WILL cutway at the same time I pull the silver. Reason being there is a chance that the main deploys when the pressure of the reserve is released.

I don't think that the benefits you are talking about overcome the defecits of the system. Just my .02

And you have only 1 jump, so what do you know ;). But on a serious side, I meant that with pull-out design, the PC-in-tow and horseshoe do not happen (in general, again). You said you would cutaway in both cases and pull your reserve, but that means that you would be firing a reserve into the mess in both cases (cutting way may or may not seperate risers or realease the main in PC-in-tow, not do it immidiately, etc.)

What do you see as defecits of pull-out (I suspect what you may say, but let me hear first)?

And you have only 1 jump, so what do you know

Yes only one on a Pull Out System: it scared the living crap out of me and I have not made jump number 2;) One day, maybe.

The problem with the PUD beside the fact that it does not make any sense to me ;) is that it's too damn easy to missroute the handle and have a impossible pull. I have witnesses few of this incident while I have never witnessed first hand a horseshoe or a PC in tow (just hesitation).

Anyway I have jumped PUD and it worked for me. I would not buy one or use one for WS jumps but that's me.

Hey spring loaded PCs work very well for students. Would I want one?:P

JP uses one, he's a happy camper so it's all good.
Memento Audere Semper

Hey guys,

If you want to rehash the pull-out debate in general, you might want to move it to a more general skydiving forum, where a whole bunch of people can contribute. You're getting a little off topic for this forum (wingsuits).

Why you would/wouldn't want a pullout with a wingsuit is a much narrower topic than why you would/wouldn't want a pull-out in general.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com