jakee

Before flying wingsuits

First off, sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find what I wanted on the search.

I've only got about 120 jumps at the moment but when I have the jump no's and currency wingsuits are a major goal for me. They really are what I'm aiming for.
So, what can I do to better prepare myself for flying wingsuits and help me get better results when I do start flying them?

I try to get on any tracking dives I can, and I've also done quite a few solo dives just concentrating on maxing out my position. I haven't got it 'nailed' yet but I do think (maybe a bit of ego;)) that I have a more efficient track as a result and that I can outtrack most people at my level and some with quite a few jumps more.

So, will it help me to keep on doing this or am I wasting my time (well, not wasting, I enjoy doing it anyway). Also, if there's anything else you think might help me gain awareness of body position, and also increase my awareness of whats going on around me in the sky then please fire away.

Thanks!:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Do anything that will 'free you up' in the air.
Because should 'the poo hit the fan' and you end up in an unstable position, spinning, whatever....then you should be able to handle that situation in a relaxed/heads-up way (or something close to that) and not freak out because it's the first time you're not belly to earth.

So in short..I think the tip is just....try to enjoy what you are doing and have fun and try and get some solid experience in everything.

When you have a good base in RW, that will also help you in flying in close-proximity to other wingsuiters. And I think every bit of experience you have in any way (canopy/openings/flying) WILL translate to your wingsuit skills lateron...

So just enjoy the ride and have fun...don't focus to hard or it might become a frustrating experience...:)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Cheers,
I've been lurking this forum for quite a while, and it seems like everything I read just sparks my enthusiasm even more.

I have thought a lot about getting a tracking suit but I don't have much spare cash to spend on gear (1st year Uni student) and I thought it was probably best to focus on just jumping my arse off when I'm at the DZ. But hey, if I get a killer job over the summer I might just reconsider:)
Jarno,
Thanks for your advice as well, who doesn't love going unstable;).

Hello Jack

Here is my .02 :)
There are alot of things you can work on to get yourself ready to fly a wingsuit. ;)

Actually flying the suit is not hard at all you'll soon see.
Some things you can work on before you put on a suit are stable exits.
Work on exiting stable with your arms bent at the elbows about 90 degrees, and have them in front of you.
Have your chest into the relative wind, keeping your eyes on the plane as it fly's away, and after about 3sec, extend you arms and legs out to a wingsuit flying position.
Have your arms out from your body, elbows slightly bent and your palms facing the sky.
Have your legs apart shoulder width also and toes pointed.
Please note some flying positions may vary depending on the style suit you choose to fly.;)

After getting comfortable flying in that position, practice your pulls by relaxing your legs, bringing BOTH arms back (imagine you have 2 pilot chutes, 1 on each side) and keep your head looking forward, this will help you in not going head down during your pull.
Practicing flying with both hands behind your back will also help you when pulling in a wingsuit.

Another thing is after pulling, try to not grab for your risers as so many people are used to doing now a days, as you may not be able to reach past your 3 rings when in a wingsuit.

Hope this helps! :)

Flock on! :D

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Cool, thats given me a lot of things to think about on my next few jumps, basically try and fly with an imaginary suit on?

And when you say this, "Work on exiting stable with your arms bent at the elbows about 90 degrees, and have them in front of you" that will leave me looking like I'm trying to dance the robot, right?:D (Not that I ever have, of course. Ahem.)

Some other tips (from my BMI):

Try flying around in a de-arched delta and then do some turns.
Try to look at your alti from the de-arched delta without turning (this one actually got me at first, duh!).
Turn over on your back, butt low, then quickly get back to the de-arched delta, acting like you have the suit on.
Practice the heel-click before opening.
If your chute opens with linetwists (you could do this on purpose) then try getting out of them without raising your arms.
Practice opening up your arm zippers while your chute is opening (then again I tend to wait untill my chute is flying before I start unzipping, but it saves time).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If your chute opens with linetwists (you could do this on purpose) then try getting out of them without raising your arms.

I would not suggest inducing your own line twist for wingsuit flying simulation. [:/]

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Did you just recommend to someone with less than 200 jumps that they should intentionaly induce a malfunction?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Did you just recommend to someone with less than 200 jumps that they should intentionaly induce a malfunction?

Well not really, what our BMI told us was to open birdman-style from de-arched delta, I got the impression that this sometimes got you into linetwists. I didn't mean packing a linetwist or spinning in freefall then opening, just simulating a birdman opening. I could've said that better :$

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You mean that someone told you that you should be reaching for your zippers while you are still in freefall? Or even while your canopy is still in the process of opening? PM me that persons name please.

Not in freefall of course, although one of our bird does exactly that, opening his chute AFTER unzipping his wings (but this guy is kinda nuts :S:D). I think he doesn't do that anymore but he was very adamant that that gave him good openings. This was the same guy that was given a Lightning to put on other risers and while snapping at us that he did it the RIGHT way and not like us all hasty, he started undoing all the french links.... Took him all afternoon to get the canopy hooked back up and he did that wrong the first time too :S:ph34r:
Right now he is a really responsible TM though, he grew up LOL

But yeah, our BMI does say you can (not have to but can) unzip during the time your canopy is still opening. The 2 birds I usually jump with both do this.
I just hold my harness, although I'd have to do weird stuff to get my spectre to open off heading or worse..

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I can see the argument for both sides of the coin when it comes to unzipping whilst the canopy is coming out - the main disadvantage is that you lose control of your arm wings possibly before you have control of your canopy, and random inflation could cause you to roll - however I *personally* have had no issues dumping and going straight for my zippers - often my hands are free and on the risers while my canopy snivels.

I've found that I have had fewer linetwists and surprises doing this, however I'm now dumping in full flight, and waiting for the slowing sensation before closing my arm wings.

Just my 2c worth - I'm no BMI and I've only got about 80 w/s jumps

Paul

My take on what was meant by unzipping the arms and a clarification for those that may be confused.

What I think Dragon meant to say(let me know if I am mistaken dragon) and is perfectly alright, is the unzipping of the arms AFTER you've deployed your canopy and your parachute has lifted you upright in the saddle.

After pitching, both of your arms should come back down in front of you in the vicinity of your handles. As the parachute lifts you upright and is inflating one can begin to start unzipping their arms. However,It is recommended that you stay as still as possible with your hands in front of you until you have a fully inflated canopy and have looked up to confirm that, then you can immediately unzip. All that I have explained happens in a matter of seconds and it is quite common for experienced birds to be quicker on the draw to unzip while the canopy is still inflating.

Once you are acustomed to your openings it is not unheard of to be watching your canopy finish inflating as your simultaniously unzipping an arm wing. For those not acustomed to doing this,shifting around in the harness can and does induce one to spin/turn in the direction of movement.

Now, if your saying you were told to completly unzip your arms before you throw your pilot chute I have some serious issue with the person who recommended that.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Disclaimer: The writer of this message has had about 3 Bicardi-Cola's more then he should drink if he wanted to actualy try and sound reasonable. Zpelling and content might not be the best thing you've ever read..but here it goes anyways...:S

Lengthy question:
When you have a faulty canopy ('big ball of crap' above your head) and you need to go for your reserve, with your arms zipped, the fabric of the wing will not be a problem.
And this is how it's teached during a first flight course..you don't need to unzip the wings before pulling your reserve...right!!?

But I was wondering...if you do unzip before having a fully open canopy. And the whole thing 'goes to hell'. Then (with your wings/zippers open) wouldn't the wing be more of a loose fabric that could potentialy get in front of your chest and in front of your reserve handles...thus actualy making it really dangerous to unzip 'in' your opening (up to the point where your canopy is flying propperly).
I could definately picture my flappig unzipped wings going in front of my handles...

I haven't actualy tried this on the ground (see if my unzipped wings could hinder a reserve-procedure) but I wondered if anyone had any experience or words of wisdom on this subject (aside from what I, in this current entoxicated state of mind, think at the moment..which is..don't:P)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I had to cutaway after unzipping my arm wings last Nov. (I thought I could get out of linetwists but didn't make any progress by 2k', open @ 3.5k') The wings did not get in the way of my handles because I found them while still under my malfunctioning main, but one wing did catch my reserve as it went by. End result was tiny line burns on my wing, but no real damage.
-Jenn