kevin922

Phoenix Fly Suit, some more info!

Holy smokes.............. If the manual and pictures even due the suit half/justice.........How amazingly innovative !!!!! Hats off to Robert for really outduing himself. 4 to 1.......... better than some airplanes I've had the pleasure of riding in........
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

A certain Rob-Bird told me so........

That is literally unbelievable. I can't wait to see it with my own eyes.

Any word on the fall rates that will accompany that glide, or is this still top secret?

I don't know that any of that information is "top secret" but as with this type stuff it is one of those "yet to be seen" as some of the very best flyers haven't had their hands on this suit yet.

I don't know that any of that information is "top secret" but as with this type stuff it is one of those "yet to be seen" as some of the very best flyers haven't had their hands on this suit yet.

I talked to the Ninja on friday and he still doesn't have his. We all know he will be one of the first to get his hands on one. Please post any pictures and video you may have but I beg of you to stop teasing the civilians.

Glen

As I understand it the prototype still isn't completely finalized yet ( this is third hand information at best. Someone else may have more accurate and timely info. ). Then you have to consider what is involved in scaling it for the various human body sizes. I've never met or personnaly talked to Robert but people that know him describe him as a perfectionist. Its going to be a small decriminating market and he wants to deliver the best product for that market.

I can't imagine that the V-1 will be a proper first timer wingsuit but I doubt it will be any harder to fly and deploy than the S-3. Who knows maybe it will be a little easier? We have heard some statements on this forum that some of the skyflyers with mylar ribs are difficult to deploy in. I've heard from a couple of owners of mylar ribbed suits its completely the same mylar or not. I know that my prototype airlocked S-3 deploys exactly like my production S-3, absolutly no difference.

As I understand it the prototype still isn't completely finalized yet ( this is third hand information at best. Someone else may have more accurate and timely info. ). Then you have to consider what is involved in scaling it for the various human body sizes. I've never met or personnaly talked to Robert but people that know him describe him as a perfectionist. Its going to be a small decriminating market and he wants to deliver the best product for that market.

I can't imagine that the V-1 will be a proper first timer wingsuit but I doubt it will be any harder to fly and deploy than the S-3. Who knows maybe it will be a little easier? We have heard some statements on this forum that some of the skyflyers with mylar ribs are difficult to deploy in. I've heard from a couple of owners of mylar ribbed suits its completely the same mylar or not. I know that my prototype airlocked S-3 deploys exactly like my production S-3, absolutly no difference.

Well I do know Robi and talked to him this past weekend, so it was first hand for me, I guess 2nd hand for you, and it for sure is finalized and will hopefully be available on the 20th as indicated. Robi is a perfectionist and takes great pride in his work.

As for the "good for a first suit" question - I would have to agree with Ed in saying "hell no" this suit is "the next step" from an S3, so whatever skill set you'd need to fly the s3 you'd need for this suit.

Q. Is the V-1 suitable as my first wingsuit?

A. No, but the Phoenix Fly beginner/ intermediate wingsuit that will be released next year will be.
(new design concept) B|

Q. Is the V-1 appropriate for someone with 50 jumps on a GTI?

This is more curiosity than anything else. I have an S3 on order and feel it will be more than enough for me right now... I also don't feel comfortable enough with wingsuits in general to jump something that is brand new to the market and hasn't been real-world tested. But I am curious, as someone else asked, if the S3 would be recommended as a "stepping stone" for the V1.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

In response to some of the above questions:

BOC:

Yes, BOC is recommended for normal skydiving, back flying and aerials.

Actually the pull will be slightly easier for the BOC than with the S3 because the wing is shorter. The ribs add only a slight resistance as you collapse your wings.

Infact there is only one mylar rib in each arm wing, the very end rib. Due to the construction, there is no need for additional support. By holding the wingtip gripper tension goes from the last plastic reinforced rib to all of the other ribs in line (triangular tension rule)

The winglet is long but it stays behind out of the way and doesn't cause problems when reaching for the PC.

F-111:

F111 is incorporated in the inside of the arm wing to reduce the weight and to increase the comfort.

All the flying surfaces use ZP balloon material or Dacron.

Somebody who can fly a GTi without problems should be able to step into a V-1 (the V-1 manual will discuss this area in detail).

(edited to add more detail)