Tonto

Bell Jetranger Birdman exit

Hi All,

We're getting a Jetranger next month, and it's only going to 4000ft. I'm thinking of winging it. Would the exit be fall off with no kick (The drivers don't like that) and keep the leg wing shut till you have some airspeed?

Any thoughts?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Tonto

Exiting with slow or no air speed, just keep your head high, use arms out if you wish, or bring them in as Kevin does in these pics.
As you exit and keep legs bend and not extended, so it doesnt throw you head down.

Look at the attached pics I took of Kevin when he came to see me in Lodi.

Have fun!

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Jet rangers are cramped. Its the helo I tore my matter bootie trying to zip up inside. Be smart like my other wingsuit partner and zip up before boarding. Since the craft doesn't have a tall mast ( distance of skid to rotorhead )when jumpers bail its important that they don't kick off and away. Doing so actually makes the bird sway so hard that the cyclic hits the side stop and for a micro-second the pilot is out of control. They hate this and they will let you know it! For this same reason I bet they will require a symetrically balanced exit. One jumper per side but at the same time and they will prefere a gentle step off.
Another draw back of the ranger, unlike the wide open cockpits of big Bells and A-stars, is the fact that its a little harder to see from one side to the other side because of the doors B pillers and the interior center column. Make sure you give yourself and your partner some time to find each other to give a syncronized count.
We've done the facing each other step off and back flip to flight and the step off from the forward part of the skid to flight best when the craft is carrying a little forward travel and not in a hover.
Depending on what suit you have on it may be inflated from the downwash just standing on the skid.
Its fun enjoy! The pilot might get a thrill by seeing a wingsuit take off below and in front of him/her.

t,

sorry to hijack your thread but i gotta ask, Vesa, where were you jumping in those pics? Is there a dz down there somewhere? Or was that a show jump? Either way the visuals over the city must have been sweet!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

t,

sorry to hijack your thread but i gotta ask, Vesa, where were you jumping in those pics? Is there a dz down there somewhere? Or was that a show jump? Either way the visuals over the city must have been sweet!

That was a show jump made over Helsinki, the capital of Finland, during the Red Bull Swoop competition held on local beach. Still, the DZ Malmi wher Parachuting club of Finland operates is located some 7 km's from downtown Helsinki so we get pretty nice visuals regularly. :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

It was a Show jump in the middle of the capital of Finland, Helsinki. The jump was to the annual Red Bull Swoop 2004 competition held on a beach just outside the city center. And yes, it was really cool to fly above the city :ph34r:

Vesa

Please,
If you want to save the airfield and the DZ in the middle of Helsinki from demolition, please sign
http://www.pelastamalmi.org/en/petition/index.html
Thank You.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

[thread hijack warning...]

you don't need a Jet Ranger for that
[/thread hijack warning...]:P

You are right my friend you need slack in the legs to zip up that suit. Cedric explained this to me before I put it on the first time. Cramped aircraft or sliding down the floor, as I did in one of those aluminum floored skyvans, will make things tough on you.

The captain has turned on the "no skyjacking" light. Please return to your seats.B|