VectorBoy

Thoughts on wingsuit training.....not just mine

If a BMI set up shop down here proper I would refer every customer to them. We would be able to concentrate on technical more creative stuff and drop the renegade status. I would be a happy guy.

HA!

Glen, you're a friend, but you are telling a fib now.

A BMI did set up shop there. Me. And a BMI really doesn't want to have anything to do with teaching wingsuits at Perris anymore because everytime a student approched them about schedualing some time, 2 days later I would see them in the air in one of your extra suits.

I like Chuck have to work in this industry for a living. So How many times do you think I'm going to be willing to take a $300 Saturday off from the School, to teach a newbie, only to find out they have already flown with your help on the previous Wednsday? Not many. It's not that I would rely on the money from that student, heck most of the BMFJC's I've taught in the last year have been for slot, or slot and pack job, just because it's fun.

Right now I'm wingless, since my S3 has been stolen. Reading this forume and the BULLSHIT politics is draining my energy and desire to replace that suit.

Sorry Jari, I'm tired. One day I guess.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingsuits are very popular overseas probably due to a few common reasons
First money is a little more freely spent there, but more importantly due to a smaller region and more wingsuit instructors.

I think you're a long way off the mark with this.

I was mainly meaning Europe not Africa---Sorry to be unclear

As for all the BMIs chiming in-look at the instructor list they are all east and west coast with Eloy in the middle.

Can I fly to Deland or Eloy yes - will I-- NO! I didn't do it for a coach or AFF rating and I won't do it for a BMI rating. Look at the list of instructors maybe it is time to branch out - why won't you find 3 instructor canidates because there is no promotion in the center of the US

Regardless of what day of the week the course is doesn't matter I have a real job during the week to pay for me to skydive-along with a wife and kids that depend on me to be home at night - no I won't leave the state of Texas and shouldn't have to.

Maybe Chuck and Scott shouldn't be the ones to come to the smaller DZs where they won't find 3 instructor wannabes may be it should be the ones who would benefit from the sales of the new suits that would follow. Not the ones who use the profits from the instruction courses to pay bills

Chuck and Scott you find these threads as a personal attack on you as BMCIs they are not, they are aimed at changing things to further the sport.

It seems to me that the bottom line is money-Chuck you said"if I am not likely to break even then I won't come"--Well I personally would reimberse your expenses to come and give me personally a BMI course - at a break even - I will provide you with a 6 month old $20,000 RV to sleep in and take you out to eat each night, flight here (coach) and free beer.
You will leave with a free vacation a few jumps and new friends - thats all - now you break even completely I will wait for your reply

I would like to see more BMIs to help more jumpers experience wingsuit flight I do not think that the unpaid sponsors of Birdman should have to spend money to do this yet I think the company would benefit from trying to make it easier to get more instructors rated.

I also would love to hear about all things I am doing wrong on every jump - do I think I would learn a lot hell yes I do. There is no substitue for experience - you have it I want it!

I love the flaming and telling me how I know nothing about anything - of course not I don't live at Deland or Perris

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Can I fly to Deland or Eloy yes - will I-- NO!

Well I personally would reimberse your expenses to come and give me personally a BMI course - at a break even - I will provide you with a 6 month old $20,000 RV to sleep in and take you out to eat each night, flight here (coach) and free beer.
You will leave with a free vacation a few jumps and new friends - thats all - now you break even completely I will wait for your reply

Out of curiosity, why would you offer to pay for the instructor to travel to you, but refuse to travel to him?

On a broad cultural scale (forget wingsuits and even skydiving), it is traditional (for a reason) for students to seek out instructors. Not the other way around.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Glen, you're a friend, but you are telling a fib now.

I have refered you both on this forum and to potential flyers in person. Its no lie,ask em.

And I don't blame you. If I worked in the industry I would go after the higher volume business. That is a no brainer. Sorry you feel that I'm taking away your wingsuit business. Its hard to believe that it is even possible since I'm only on that drop zone a couple days a month and the rest at some of the other dropzones in the area.

Some of the politics just come as result of the closet/mentors having to justify why all of the time. They/we are made to look like hacks that don't care about safety or that haven't a clue what we are doing. I definately don't mean to splatter any negativity around.

I don't think there is a culprit in this story. Its all good.

Out of curiosity, why would you offer to pay for the instructor to travel to you, but refuse to travel to him?

On a broad cultural scale (forget wingsuits and even skydiving), it is traditional (for a reason) for students to seek out instructors. Not the other way around.

It is extremely hard for me to be away from my family--during the AFFCC I drove home every night and drove back every morning. Why? because I am married and that is what my wife wants - call it pussy whipped or whatever she doesn't give me to much shit about being gone all day Sat and Sun every weekend so I give her this as she wants.

As for students seeking out instructors I don't know what culture your talking about but it damn sure ain't mine - you have it made stay in Florida and Birdman will make you another BMI and soon every DZ in Florida will have 15 BMIs and the rest of us will still run bandit operations until the USPA steps in and changes things because we can't get 3 peolpe together to take a BMI course due to the fact as they are not as popular here because there is no backing. If we had more birdz we would have more who want to be instructors.

This is why I would pay to bring them to me - in a way I am seeking out the instructor I am just wanting to bring the instructor to me instead of going to them.

Maybe Chuck and Scott shouldn't be the ones to come to the smaller DZs

Have you already forgotten that I arrived a day early on my business trip and drove 2 hours each way just to jump with you and your crew in Temple when I was in Texas last time?

Chuck and Scott you find these threads as a personal attack on you as BMCIs they are not, they are aimed at changing things to further the sport.

I have a pretty thick skin but I nor Chuck will allow anyone to malign what it is BirdMan and the BMI course provides. We are both quick to raise the Bullshit flag when it's needed. Right now I am tired of holding this flag up as it's the same shit over and over. Chuck and I have explained it to you, Todd,Glen and others ad nauseaum but some still fail to grasp what was said on how typical events/boogies function and how the BMI course is run. Like you, I have a full time job that requires my attention. I have a house in Texas, don't you think I would spend more time in Texas if it was feasible for me?

You are the only one in Texas to have shown an interest in becoming a BMI to my knowledge which may be why the BMI instructor list looks the way it does for Texas. If people don't show an interest in a specific geographical area we don't have a BirdMan bus/plane we can get into and travel there nor do we have the money to randomly travel to DZs that don't have BMIs. I have already told you that when I retire I will make the Texas DZ tour and spread the sickness that I am known for. Until then , you're going to have to get 2 more people in Texas or travel to where a course is being held( I hear good looking women often go to New York and Paris to become models. And why is that? Because that is where shit happens. The same can be said for big DZs/events. ). No one loves to fly more or has gone to greater reaches than Chuck and I to spread the sickness to as many as possible,often times fore going our expenses and or our normal fees just so we could put more people in the sky safely.

yet I think the company would benefit from trying to make it easier to get more instructors rated.

They do. You get 3 people together in your location and call BirMan or you go to where they are holding a course(refer back to the big DZ thing here). If you know of an easier way to facilitate it please tell me.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Relax Scott,

I got no issues with the course, the cost or location. I know if I want it I have to go to it. If I wanted it that bad I would have had it already. ( although I don't think it wants me anymore.

I know big names only come to your event after you front them money. Thats why some big names no longer compete and just do promotions and events. I know the score.

My issue is a little less heat on the closet mentors. Thats all. Only a handful of BMIs complain about us and I am not complaining about all of the BMIs. And this is just my opinion. You never know I could be crazy.

BTW who is todd?

Glen

although I don't think it wants me anymore

I told you in one of the many PMs we've exchanged and in Eloy that I thought you would make an excellent BMI, nothing has changed.

My issue is a little less heat on the closet mentors. Thats all. Only a handful of BMIs complain about us

This must be regional as I really haven't seen/heard of what you just described. This sounds more like a personality conflict than anything else. Care to elaborate? PM me if needed.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am done - I will wait until things change - I don't agree and know that others don't either so I guess we will agree to disagree!

I am sorry to those I offended it was not meant in malice

If any wingsuit pilots want to get a BMI in Texas let me know - Waller crew jump often when your suits arrive ya'll be ready in 6 - 8 months

Chuck the offer still stands or to any other BMCI

Scott I did have fun that 1 jump I got with you when you showed up, if your ever back in town I will drive to you! (Waller will soon have some good flyers there and there is no DZ in Bastrop)

Jason "voodew" Weisberg
Skydive Temple
Texas USA
AFFI

No local or regional conflicts.

The real world of wingsuits is a wonderful place. Everybody is happy, everybody for the most part is safe. Well except for the guy that tries to sell JP's stolen S3. There aren't any negative comments, or few but that is life. Mostly its a worldwide brotherhood and sisters too. There is even really good video and as a bonus, I don't see dead people!

Its here on the forums that you hear the open complaints about mentors, of banning wingsuits, lack of access to training. People are unhappy, distrustful. Defensive, yeah even me. Tired and whinny. Quik to point fingers. looking for answers to questions that really don't matter that much.

The real wingsuit world from where I'm standing is a blast. I am completely serious My view is good, how is yours?

Glen

OK, now you're just being weird (see attached). Check the profile of your average active/fulltime skydiver (marital status, number of children (in custody ;))). If I had a house and family, I probably wouldn't have time to be super-active in my hobbies. I also wouldn't be spending half my income and time on parachuting, either.

Welcome to skydiving.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I like Chuck have to work in this industry for a living. So How many times do you think I'm going to be willing to take a $300 Saturday off from the School, to teach a newbie, only to find out they have already flown with your help on the previous Wednsday? Not many. It's not that I would rely on the money from that student, heck most of the BMFJC's I've taught in the last year have been for slot, or slot and pack job, just because it's fun.

That's the argument for me, too.

I'm a full-timer too. I am an AFF-I, Tandem-I and fly video and stills. The BMI on my DZ was grandfathered in before the BMCI course. I lend my gear often to folks who have flown one of the Classics or GTi's on my DZ. I have been very lucky to fly and learn with Jari, Andy, Ed, Scott, and some of the best wingsuit flyers there are.

I honor the BMFJC, but until it becomes a requirement that first jumps be with instruction that I can be compensated for, I can't afford to invest in the course.

It is not so much "bandit" instructors as students seeking the easiest course. If a newbie comes up to me with a new suit and questions, I'll lace them up and brief them out of the "giving back to the sport" thingie. Maybe I should be sending them to Ed up at Lodi, but the one's I'm thinking about would just jump with the stuff they'd learned on the internet and with the materials that came with their suits.

I'll take the course eventually, but there are other skydiving priorities for me. As it stands, with BMCI instruction being optional at virtually all drop zones, it will take me a very long time to earn that tuition money back.

The real wingsuit world from where I'm standing is a blast. I am completely serious My view is good, how is yours?

Mine is much like yours, in fact, mine is even better because I really enjoy giving people the opportunity to really fly.

The real world of wingsuits is a wonderful place. Everybody is happy, everybody for the most part is safe.

I agree, I have met and made friends with so many people that I have a hard time remembering everyones name but I can tell you about our flights:D

Its here on the forums that you hear the open complaints about mentors, of banning wingsuits, lack of access to training. People are unhappy, distrustful. Defensive, yeah even me.

Ok, here again I agree that that is heard here but in all honesty, I hear a lot of these discussions started by you or brought up again by you in one way,shape or form, not from the community as a whole.These types of conversations never happen at the DZ or around the fire other than to laugh at some of the shit that was posted in these types of discussions but thats it, even after the alcohol has been flowing.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

OK, now you're just being weird (see attached). Check the profile of your average active/fulltime skydiver (marital status, number of children (in custody )). If I had a house and family, I probably wouldn't have time to be super-active in my hobbies. I also wouldn't be spending half my income and time on parachuting, either.

I guess I am just lucky that my wife is willing to put up with my skydiving--My household will never suffer so I can skydive thats what the second job is for.

As for being a fulltime skydiver Texas is mainly a weekend only DZ and I don't consider skydiving as fulltime its not a job its a hobby that helps pay for fun jumps and the 2 children are in my custody for your info. As for the house- so the lawn doesn't get the attention it needs.

That's all well and good. Of course family comes first. But that's just it. Family comes first. Complaining about a skydiving gear manufacturer not bending over backwards for you because you have prior commitments is just silly (see attached).

PS

The "custody" comment was in regards to skydivers that have knocked someone up. It was a joke (hence the wink), not targeted at you.

Click

Complaining about a skydiving gear manufacturer not bending over backwards for you because you have prior commitments is just silly

As I said before I am done! I will not respond how I feel any longer.

Uh... the first name is irrelevant. The point was Robin Williams.

Are you taking me seriously? I posted a picture of a forward thinking pear named Rob, some weird flipper guy, and a Robin Williams movie poster -- and you took me seriously.

Wow.

PS

Wow.

OK. You have one last chance. Look at the attached pictures and try to take me seriously.

Click

Steve, you've truly lost it I think. Btw, the weird "flippers" are freediving FINS! B| I have my own, but they are different than the ones shown.

And about the whole not wanting to leave your family behind to take a course one time... does this mean that BMCI's cannot have families? Because if they have to travel EVERY SINGLE TIME they give a course, their families will truly suffer. Versus the students having to travel only once in their life...

EDIT: Steve, PLEASE tell me you're tripping or something right now. Because right after I post that you lost it, I see your new avatar... ?!? :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com