piisfish

exit technique from balloon...

could anybody give me tips on the best way to exit a hot air balloon ??
not the way to get out of the basket, will figure out there, but more the flying technique, as I never did a no wind exit with the suit...

If it can help, I jump a SFly...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ideally you want to leave head high much like a BASE exit with your wings open and your leg wing closed. The arms out helps keep you head high and stable. Once you start to fly (1-2 secs) open the leg wing up. If you don't close the leg wing you can go head low but once you pick up speed you will fly out of it. LOIC's monowing suits inflate pretty fast so you should notice when your flying as opposed to falling fairly quickly. have fun and let us know how it goes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

thanks for the info, will try and have a look to BASE exit pics as I'm no BASE jumper (yet).
Will let you know.
Planned is a balloon jump (maybe more) in the morning, then plane jumps swooping the balloons in the afternoon...

Easy (i.e. a bit of delay before you must fly) BASE exits are easier to manage with the leg wing collapsed by bending the knees (rather than bringing the legs together). This allows you to still spread apart to kill rotation in that axis, but without allowing inflation of the leg wing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey.

I've done VERY little BASE and NO wingsuit BASE.

The exits described reminded me of a Bungi exit, where your legs are tied together.

I used Bungi as an African training aid for BASE in the absence of a baloon. I've attached a pic. Obviously in a Wingsuit your arms would be further back, but it may help you get an idea.

Are you coming to Eloy?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Hi,

I did a balloon jump a a few weeks ago. It went well. I think it went that way because I kept my chin up on the exit . I pretty much inflated (Classic II) as I stepped off the balloon. And then a nice carve back to the landing area when I felt some speed. The previous birdies went head low for a little bit and then rocketed away (S3). Nothing major, just noticeable.

On exit I was visualizing the base launches from Crosswinds, the movie. I think it was Loic in that.

Also, I was shouting "Cacaw! Cacaw! " on exit. That helped me to relax and take it all in stride.B|

Have fun with it. We've got a balloon festival coming here in a couple of weeks. I think that buzzing the balloons would be a blast

Here's mine from Rantoul.

My Clasic 1. I opened my leg wing a bit early, but it being a classic, it's forgiving. Anyway, once I built some airspeed.....WOW!

It's cool though to go from the dead calm of the basket to the ground without ever really hearing a great amount of wind noise.

I'm hooked on still air exits, that's for sure!

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1723
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I linked in the last post, but the name is 'wingsuit balloon2.wmv'

Here, I'll link it again:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1723
:)Only about 20 or so seconds, but it shows inflation, speed build, and just before the camera looks away you can see the forward drive really picking up. Not bad for an original classic!
It's your life, live it!

Sorry about that, it's the only version I have as of now. [:/]

Here's a frame grab I did when I was previewing, literally a second or so after leaving the basket. If you look close, you can see the arm wings are only partially inflated, while the leg is already pretty pressurized. I did go a bit head low, but recovered nicely. Next time I'll make sure to do a nice mental count to 2 or 3 while forcing myself to keep that leg closed.
It's your life, live it!

I only did this twice out of a moving balloon.
I totally exit the opposite, Leg wing open full.
Arms wings open but at a relaxed swept back angle.

It was the same technique I saw many BASE wing-suit
users do in Norway.

Hopping off the basket at a 45 deg . head up exit.
You transition from heads up exit to head down but
immediately start to rotate out to level flight.

Knowing I was going to go head down after exit was kind
of intimidating, but when I leveled out it felt like I was
moving pretty good on the forward speed

A balloon is no BASE jump but big fun.
I would do it a third time if I get the chance.

unfortunately the balloon thing was not organised as planned and all balloonists had taken passengers... We just managed to have 1 slot (which I left to a friend), and another one just cramped in a balloon asking for a 500m vertical above the terrain, he got 400 and was happy ;-)
Oh yeah, he jumped with a base rig...