cpoxon

Wingsuit dirtdiving?

so is this supposed to be the "proper" way to dirtdive a wingsuit jump? the only dirtdiving i've done has been "ok, lets go out and stay near each other, get docks as you see fit". with this, do you practice the exit count as well, with everyones hands crammed together??:P just wondering

i know this must work well though cuz the pics i saw of the flocks at the herc booogie were absolutely amazing!

i think the idea of being geared up and walking it would probably work better for the sake of muscle memory. it gives you more of a visualization of what you should be seeing in the sky, for the same reason RW creeps their dirtdives. however, i also understand that the vertical separation plays a factor as well, which throws some tricks into the equation, giving the hand dirtdive an edge over walking it. either way, i love the fact that flocks are getting bigger and more complex that dirtdives are becoming necessary. i think both types of dirtdives should be used for big and complex flocks. flock on!!!

It looks like John L. in the 1st picture, I am assuming it is him. Dirt dives are an absolute must,especially when you are flocking with groups of people who you have never flown with. Since most are formations where skill levels vary greatly, they are kept simple and they are usually built and flown with everyone being on the same level. With better flyers you can totally build formations in 3D in width and depth. This also allows for more people to get "in" close to the rabbit on larger flocks. I think what they are doing is great for formations meant to be flown in depth. Everyone knows what it will look like and what level they will be on. Formations like those look really cool when viwed from above/below.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, I've done some big way RW, and now I've done some big way WRW (wingsuit relative work). Jari and the crew are very serious about setting and then breaking records. Discussing it at Herc, it will require slot-perfect flying, and thats what 3-D dirt dives are all about.

Wow! That's a great way to visualize the formation! I know I've been in flocks and found myself looking at two similar suits and getting momentarily confused. Looking at the top of the suit as it lays on the ground gives you a much better idea of what the dive should look like. Great idea!

Steve
"Maintain an even strain."

Awesome, awesome pics, JP. :)

Thanks Katie-Jo!

It was really frustrating at first, cause that group of fliers at Herc was just astoundingly good. The only way to keep them from blasting up and away from me each time was to point a camera at them. I got those with my cameras mounted backwards and flying the rabbit position.

The evil and talented Andy Ford gets those pics backflying his S3. B|

There's a ton of Birdman shots in my HercBoogie gallery.

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album.jsp?aid=768a5498cf68d194ca15

It was really frustrating at first, cause that group of fliers at Herc was just astoundingly good. The only way to keep them from blasting up and away from me each time was to point a camera at them. I got those with my cameras mounted backwards and flying the rabbit position.

Isn't that just like having to tie a pork chop around your neck just to get the dogs to play with you? :P:D

Didn't it feel as though you were doing a solo on every jump? [:/]

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Yes and yes.

I got lots of great video of my form, as all those guys were watching me and several had video. My performance really improved, and FINALLY on one of the later jumps one of those tall skinny bastards asked me to ease up a bit. :P

I knew I was not alone every time we landed, though, cause the flock was completely psyched after flying that close. Those pictures were taken with a Sigma 14, so those wingsuits were tight

My performance really improved

So your saying flying with other people improved your own flying skills?:P Who would of thunk it:D noice pics BTW
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks, LD.

What I meant was, that the rabbit position in a formation does feel a lot like a solo, but with the pressure to keep flying smooth. When you land, and everybody else is all fired-up, you do tend to feel like you got left out.

The huge plus is all that video you get of your flying from the flockers above you.

You got a ton more experience at this than me, but I think that's the hardest thing about getting wingsuiters with mad skills to flock. It's hard to get the fliers to turn down their skill level so that everybody can stay in. Somebody who routinely can get almost three minutes has a hard time reducing their flight time by half just to stay relative with a potbellied newbie.

And Ed? That is the new nickname for my camera helmet: Porkchop.

"Hey! Hotshit wingsuiters! Can I flock with you?"

"No"

"I'll bring my Porkchop along..."

"Well, OK then..."

:P

And Ed? That is the new nickname for my camera helmet: Porkchop.

BWAAAHHHHH. Fuck'n classic, you need to get that painted on your lid Deuce;)

Personally, when it comes to flocks I don't have issues with flying dirty. For me it's not about "did I get 3 minutes on this flight?" , it's about flying with others and having fun doing it;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Personally, when it comes to flocks I don't have issues with flying dirty. For me it's not about "did I get 3 minutes on this flight?" , it's about flying with others and having fun doing it

Totes. Pushing it is for solos and breakoff. It's a whole other type of challenge to stay with others that fly very differently, and it's enjoyable in a different way. Keep in mind that we happily take a lot of people on their FIRST flights. Dropping a little fast is no issue.

On sort of another tangent... I find that the more fun my canopy is to fly, the less I worry about getting long delays. :)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Thanks for that vesa:P

The "Hand dirtdiving" came about when jari and my group joined for a day to make some bigger formations and we tried to fly a 9 way wedge with the exact same formation 6ft above to create an awesome 3D V formation, some confusion in the group and the lack of a whiteboard to put the message across during the dirtdive ended up with the flying your slot with your hands to get the visual idea (and see who hadn't grasped the formation:ph34r:)... the formation was exceptionally hard to fly... but great fun trying.