Jiggs

MTR2 Wingsuit Inflation

Hey All,

I picked up a MTR2 a few weeks back but due to a crappy winter and a few other things I have not been able to get many flights (say 10-20 or so). Anyway I have not been getting a huge performance difference in terms of times from the classic that I was using (definetly faster forward though). - What I did not fully realise until today is that my arm wings are not actually inflating with my current body position! I did not realise that till yesterday when I was screwing around with various positions, I essentially had my arms at a 45 degree angle to the ground and pop - instant arm inflation!

What a difference in flight! Anyway what I was hoping to get was some pointers on arm position, what has worked best for everyone else? Previously I was flying pretty much straight arms and I guess I have been shutting off the airflow to the vents - so how do I get around it? What the hell am I doing wrong? What should I be doing?

Unfortunately I am not able to get any vid as I am about the only one doing this in these parts.

Other info:

~I was getting around 65mph in the classic2 (20-25 jumps) and at the moment I think the slowest average that I have held in the MTR2 was something like 56mph.

I am around 5'7 with an exit weight of approximately 180 pounds so any help would be great!~

Cheers!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

When you say 45 degrees to the ground do you mean back behind you? I never had the upper wings not inflate. I did have to work at keeping the leg wing trailing edge from flapping, this took about seven flights. It is effortless now. It is almost as if the material has softened now as I don't even think about this.

The hardest part for me on the wing is tensioning my arm forward and keeping it straight. On solo flights I get some very slow descent rates ( maxxing out the protrac and shutting down my neptunes ff time) but usually get tired later in the flight. I need to teach myself to do this and stay relaxed.

I also squeeze my shoulders up towards my head and this helps tension the suit from my shoulders down to the booties.

Normally I fly fast by maintaining a powerlifter (doing squats with the foot pointed, knees bent) position from the waist down getting more drive by playing with the pelvis angle.

I heard Cedric and a few others were playing around with a position that was straight feet and legs with one forward bend at the pelvis only then straight upper body and arms back behind you like you mentioned earlier. How much I don't know, you will have to experiment.

This is the stuff we are trying It may not work for everybody. It is work for me as it is so different from the way an S3 is flown.

The 45 degree angle I was referring to is relative to ground. Think of the fins on a surf board - treat that as 90 degrees. Change the angle to around 30-45 degrees from the board, that is the sort of angle I mean relative to ground. As I said as I was screwing around I decided to fly them like fins just to see what it would be like - hey presto - inflatable wings. I'll try to have a proper look at the suit tonight and see if I can find anything odd.

In regards to leg wings - I had the same problems at the start but now its no problems.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

On solo flights I get some very slow descent rates ( maxxing out the protrac and shutting down my neptunes ff time) but usually get tired later in the flight. I need to teach myself to do this and stay relaxed.

How much time are you getting that it is causing the neptune to shutdown?

Kris.

I think he means that the Neptune is prematurely logging a deployment altitude. Been happening to me on literally every wingsuit jump (I just can't break 12s of freefall anymore ;)). I think low airspeeds plus movement (generally from looking at the altimeter) is enough to put it under its threshold for logging a deployment. They've been tweaking it quite a bit to keep this from happening.

This also seems to be related to a hop and pop logging issue I've had, as well (dumping within 1s - 2s of leaving AC). Alti-2 claims to have fixed this issue in version 2.1.5, and I think wingsuit pilots might benefit from it. About to try to the latest firmware this weekend.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Very interesting!! I have 2.1.2 and have not had this issue. Ofcourse I am probably not falling slow enough to cause this problem.

From the alti-2 website

V2.1.5
Release date 8/12/04

Target altitude is now automatically set as the exit altitude on the last jump

Improvement to hop and pop logging

I love the first change to the firmware. I must update to the latest version.

Kris.

Yeah. I'm one of the service reps, and have been running a beta version for a bit. Changing the target altitude based on your last jump is great. Especially for higher altitude 182 DZs where planes only go to 9' or 10', as well as for doing hop and pops all day.

Very interesting!! I have 2.1.2 and have not had this issue. Ofcourse I am probably not falling slow enough to cause this problem.

It happens right around 40 MPH. I'm not sure, but I feel like 40 MPH over a small period of time is threshold. Like if you're doing 44 MPH down and you check your altitude (burbling the unit), it confuses it for a moment and thinks you deployed. And just doing good ol' under 40 MPH for at least a couple seconds seems to log a deployment, as well.

Alti-2 seems to be well aware of this, though, and they're always working to make the Neptune ever more precise. The updateable firmware is always proving to be a better and better asset. I need to write Tetris for thing. ;)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

The updateable firmware is always proving to be a better and better asset.

I have to agree. Roger gave me an updated version(beta?) at WFFC with the sole purpose of trying to confuse it or notice any oddities. So far it seems to be right on even when I dipped down in the low digits and even kept track of the high altitude jump with 248 seconds logged and multiple lows. There is also a protective cover/sleeve that will be made available soon that will help protect the unit from shock/bumps. Expect lots from Alti, Roger has a few cool things up his sleeve;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Not sure what the longest is anymore. Adrian did the 30k jump and got something like 5 mins a while back so I am sure someone has passed this mark in the bigger suits.

Exit 22,800
Dep: 2800
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think he means that the Neptune is prematurely logging a deployment altitude. Been happening to me on literally every wingsuit jump.

Yes thats exactly what I mean. BTW I have two neptunes one on the wrist and one inside the helmet, both shut down the timer when wingsuiting never on regular jumps. They will give me rates of descent but not the overall time. I have a protrac in the helmet too but that timer just gets maxed out most of the time@ 119 seconds.

I use three to get better averaging when I care about fall rates. I only consider the data valid when they are all within 10%. Its nice when two of the three are very close. Never have the three agreed.
I can't wait for the software to get up to speed on them or for L&B to expand their timer function for that matter.

To add a bit to your comments on the leg inlet. It doesn't have to be very big as the whole suit inflates and presure from the wings which bleeds into the torso, also aids the leg presurization.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It doesn't have to be very big as the whole suit inflates and presure from the wings which bleeds into the torso, also aids the leg presurization.

Though it doesn't have to be very big, I have found that the larger inlet, such as the one on the Sugar Glider, to be easyier to keep inflated on a mono-wing suit, thus have less "flap" when having to fly in a less than optimal position when trying to flock with other people.

But that just my opinion and both are fun to fly.

Here are the inlets of a Sugar Glider high lighted in white.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Just thought I'd share an email I recieved from Cedric today. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello ed,

I read some of your posts on dz.com regarding the inflation of the legwing.

the air inlet for the legwing has been dubbeled in size since july to have a more consistent inflation and it seems to work perfectly!
Before this improvement, you had to have a perfect tension and bodyposition during the whole flight to avoid vibration, but now you can be more relaxed.

Good to know in case.

Looking forward to meet you again this winter,

Enjoy the flight,
Cedric

MATTER
App. 372
17487 empuriabrava
espana

direct flyers helpline +(34) 686 317 318
[email protected]

www.matterclothing.com

enjoy the flight!