Hazarrd

Too cold for Cypres to work?

This may be a stupid question, but since I've never jumped during the winter months I don't know if this is ever the case, or if its possible. I assume that during the winter it can get pretty cold at full altitude. Is it possible that someones hands can get so cold in freefall that they physically can't reach for their reserve? Has this ever happened? Also, has the Cypres been tested in extreme temperatures? Is it possible the Cypres may not fire in extreme conditions? Just a hypothetical situation I thought up a little while ago. Thanks.

.-.

hmmm... not sure if it relates or not, but I seem to recall an incident a few years back where some missfortunate sole jumped in the winter somewhere with a pair of very heavy mittens (not gloves) on and couldn't get ahold of any of his handles. This was back before Cypress was widesperad and he found found dead in a position that made it look like he was trying to pull one of his mittens off with his teeth... so the theory was he couldn't get ahold of anything and was trying to get them off. Anyway, before I get flamed... maybe I'm remembering it wrong or maybe its an urban-skydiving-legend... :P

As for Cypress and the cold... well... I suppose if the batteries were marginal and you managed to cold soak the unit, then you might have a problem, but why don't you get a hold of someone at SSK, ask them about Cypress and cold weather and post their answer here... let them know you're going to do that.

http://www.sskinc.com/

;)

There was a jump several years ago in the north or south pole?... Everyone was hypoxic and lost altitude awareness and had no ground reference, if my memory serves only one lived due to his cypress firing, I cannot remember all the details, maybe someone else here can.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

From CYPRES user`s guide page 50
http://www.cypres-usa.com/english_users.pdf

Storing temperature +71 to -25 centigrade
Working temperature +63 to -25 centigrade*

*these temperature limits do not mean the outside (ambient temperatures but temperatures inside the unit.)
Therefore, these limits won`t have any meaning until the unit itself has reached the temperature in question. In actual fact, the limits will rarely ever be reached because of the insulating properties of the nylon pocket and the recommended installation location.

Is it possible that someones hands can get so cold in freefall that they physically can't reach for their reserve?

I doubt that the cold could prevent you from reaching, but most certainly from feeling. While it is good practise to look for one's handles, it is not always possible, and therefor important that one can feel them. I remember not being able to find my throw-out handle on a winter jump, and when I looked down (ROL), my (gloveless) hand was on the handle - I just could not feel it! Since then I have never jumped without gloves again - winter or summer.

Far more likely that your hands will get too cold to grasp handles.
There has been one accident in which a Cypres failed to fire on a cold day. It was actually the first Cypres failure. The fatality occurred in Holland. The batteries were 3 1/2 years old and it was a cold day. We believe that the Cypres did its normal start up routine, but got so chilled during the ride to altitude, that it quit working.
Mind you, anyone who jumps a parachute that is 18 months overdue for maintenance is an idiot!

My first AFF jump was Christmastime in Colorado, and it was extremely cold at altitude. I had no gloves on (don't ask me why, I was a brand new student and nobody warned me) and my hands went completely numb in freefall. At the end of the dive, I couldn't feel my hacky. The instructor put my hand on it, and I still couldn't feel it. He pulled for me, and the next time I wore gloves.

Lesson: You should probably always wear gloves for various reasons, and definitely when it's cold. I have found surfing/scuba gloves to work really well at very low temps because they allow dexterity while insulating your hands well.

And no question in this sport is stupid unless you're unwilling to listen to an answer you don't like.

The batteries were 3 1/2 years old and it was a cold day.

I think the issue here is that the batteries were flat. What if the batteries were 9.5 years old and it was a hot day? Would that be a tempreture issue?

A flat battery is a flat battery. Cypres batteries should be replaced every 2 years or 500 dives, as per recomendations. (But you already know this)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I meant to say: is it possible for your hands to get so cold that you can't grip the handle(s).

Of course it can! It's quite possible, physically. With no gloves (or very poor ones) very quickly at sub-zero (farenheit) temps from exit during f/f to pull time your hands can chill to the point of you being unable to close a grip. I've jumped with someone who went straight to his reserve once, for just this very reason.

Next question?...
coitus non circum - Moab Stone