SkydiveNFlorida

PD126R

A reserve may or may not be 'good', but a lot depends on who's going to have to fly it.....

I understand that. However, the question was with compare to other pd reserves in general, why is it said that this is not as good. Discounting who's piloting. For the sake of argument, lets just say we were comparing it to the pd113.

Thanks, tho.
Angela.

I'll post where I please. this is not your forum.

Never said you couldn't post here, just don't expect me not to have input - This isn't a forum to justify your choices so I reiterate...either don't post here or accept that people are going to say things you don't like.

That's fine, I read the article you posted from uspa, I don't care to argue about it. I'll do as I please until my freedom is taken by force.

Lack of judgement and ability to regulate ourselves is the reason it's there in the first place. Something I wish it hadn't come down to. Guess you're a prime example on why USPA put it in though.

The wingloading/weight/etc, are none of your business, this thread was not about which reserve I should fly, it was about how good a reserve this is period.

According to the website, PD (yes the manufacturer who may actually know more about their products than you) does not recommend a PD126 for a novice (That means you). If you think you know better, call up John LeBlanc and tell him to increase the placard weights.

My question was not is this a good reserve for me, but thank you for twisting my question to fit your answer.

Ever consider the fact that you're asking the wrong questions? Better yet, WHY are you asking the wrong questions?

Why is it so difficult for you to understand that your actions can effect all of us in the sport, as can mine or any other jumpers? We're supposed to look after one another, even if that means telling someone something they don't want to hear.
Performance Designs Factory Team

Really all reserves suck to fly compared with today's mains. If they were great, we may use them all the time. That said, they open reliably, have docile flight characteristics, and low pack volume. I won't put anything but a PD reserve in my trays. I have 3 reserve rides, the last one was a 143, but I have 126s in both other rigs.
Buy the reserve for your experience/weight requirements, it will save your life and land you fine.
That is it's purpose.
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I'll do as I please until my freedom is taken by force.

You should stop and consider that maybe, just maybe, the people here with hundreds and even thousands of jumps might know something that you don't. Maybe. :S

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Hi sweet Angela! :)
When I was new (wait...I still AM new!) Hooknswoop's girlfriend, Kelli (Skycat) and I were in contact as I was looking for a used rig from a fellow petite woman. I asked and listened to my all my instructors/mentors for their advice on my wingloading situation, as well as, fellow tiny, women like myself. Kelli, whose old rig I bought, recommended that I buy a rig that was tiny enough to fit me (14" harness), yet large enough to fit a larger main (Spectre 150 main w/ PD 143R).

I was always conservative with my choices and took a canopy control course at my DZ at around 45 jumps. I also listened and took the advice that I may be able to learn better canopy skills on a slightly larger main than the standard 1:1 wingloading. Let's face it, a 1:1 wingloading for me as a beginner weighing in at 95ish lbs. is just not safe, especially since I had to downsize so severely (2 jumps) from a 280 main (my original DZ, which closed down when I was a student, had nothing smaller) to my newer DZ's 190 mains! :S My downsizing situation was quite difficult. Kelli was soooo helpful and sent me an article of a lecture by John LeBlanc that I had the pleasure to also hear in person at my DZ(Elsinore)'s Bridge the Gap in June. Please read THIS, Angela.

We all care about you so much. :)CHICK'S ROCK!!!
Hugs,
ROSA

P.S. Of course, some would argue that my main is too big, but (after landing backwards in higher winds) I now sit out the windier days. I will eventually be wearing lead, too, so...

Rosa, hun, thanks for your concern. But, really, i've gone through this topic far too much already. Not to say it isn't worth going over, but i've made my choices.

Here's a link to another thread where i've already argued about a main. Let's not argue about the reserve, too. It is already mine, it is what I have in my rig.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=657078;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I will no longer reply to this thread, much as I had to stop replying in the above referenced thread. If you all want to keep replying here, that is fine, but know that I am not going to reply back.
thx.
Angela.

Thanks for chiming in where you weren't asked to.

Let me see if I understand where you are coming from.

1. You are a new skydiver who just got their "A" lic. and lacks any experience or knowledge about the decision that you are making.

2. The people that you are attacking are the people that collectively will probably forget more about skydiving than you will ever know. The same people that are trying to help you be safe.

3. You are ignoring the warnings from those same people and also the recommendations of the manufacture.

4. You believe that the decision you make is your right because it only affects YOU. So if you come in uncontrolled or hot and hit another skydiver or land off and hit some innocent person because you know better it only affects YOU. YOU could end up dead as a result of your wrong decisions and will not have to deal with the aftermath of the pain, suffering and loss of a fellow skydiver that we cared about enough to be abused by for helping her! Or deal with other injuries or worse of other people that you decisions could affect.

You really need to think about what you have said.

I have edited several posts.

I think everyone has expressed their opinion on SkydiveNFlorida's canopy choices that wishes to. She has expressed that she has read and understands everyone's opinion's and has made her decision. She has also made it clear that she is done listening to anyone's opinion on the matter. Ultimately, it is her decision to make. It is also the DZO's and S & TA's decision to allow her to jump her choice of canopies at a given drop zone. There is nothing to be gained by continuing to attempt to changer her mind.

We can only hope at this point that either; 1) Her choice is acceptable and she will be fine with her canopies, or 2) the DZO and/or S & TA of the DZ she chooses to jump at will prevent her from jumping if they feel the canopies are not appropriate to her skill level.

Let it go.

Derek

There is nothing to be gained by continuing to attempt to changer her mind.

I agree.

What's funny is I'm Canopy Nazi #1, and I'm not real worried about her choice of reserve size. I sold her the container her reserve will be going into knowing full well what size would fit. She's 130 pounds body weight, she is and will likely stay more current than many of us carrying reserves that we load higher are, she's landing a Sabre2 150 standing up every time, she's taking a canopy control course this weekend and she's planning to jump a PD126R demo a few weeks after that.

imho, even if she has to use it on her next jump she'll likely be fine under that 126R. Only thing I suggested to her was to be ready to PLF if she does have to use it soon.

Lots of guys buy reserves that are close in square footage to their body weight. That's a pretty standard recommendation for a first rig. I don't see her under a 126 as being much different than a 165 pound guy under a 160.

OTOH, it is kinda cool to see canopy size conservatism running rampant in the forums...

Lots of guys buy reserves that are close in square footage to their body weight. That's a pretty standard recommendation for a first rig. I don't see her under a 126 as being much different than a 165 pound guy under a 160.

Mentioned above, but it doesn't hurt to mention it again. There's always this: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf

A fat man landing a 230 isn't the same as a petite woman landing a 126, but you already know that.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Your Raven is a fine hard openning , soft landings reserve. Do not sell it because it is not the current hot thing. Realistically the perormance differences in lower aspect ratio canopies(equally loaded etcs) are minimal.

having said that I like my 126 at 165 pounds it provides good lift on landing, but does not reach a full stop.

for the record I liked raven too.

hutch

Your Raven is a fine hard openning , soft landings reserve. Do not sell it because it is not the current hot thing. Realistically the perormance differences in lower aspect ratio canopies(equally loaded etcs) are minimal.

having said that I like my 126 at 165 pounds it provides good lift on landing, but does not reach a full stop.

for the record I liked raven too.

hutch

Disagree. My raven kept turning to the right when I had to use it. I had to fly with deep left brakes to fly straight and I was already hyped up and didn't need that to worry about.

The rigger went over the thing with a fine tooth comb and the lines are all fine and symmetrical. The harness was symmetrical and on me as it should have been. No reason for that thing to have been turning the way it did. As I said before, my next big purchase will be a PD reserve and the Raven has got to go.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real