AggieDave

GPS tracking for wingsuits

An interesting article here I got off of /. that is actually about running, but I bet some flockers would like to maybe do this with their wingsuits.B|

Whats also cool, is this is done using a very small GPS wristmounted watch.

Clicky
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It looks interesting, but I can't see any info on the site about specific datapoints that it logs or what the cold & warm start times are. Hmmm....could be a neat toy to have.

I've picked up an Etrex Vista but I haven't gotten around to adding a pocket onto my GTi for it yet.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have used it but I haven't come to a conclusion yet as to it's value over my Etrex Vista. The terraserver maps are great for seeing what you've flown over and far surpass any of the GPS manufacturers programs out there to date.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We've got a wristwatch GPS we're taking up in the next few weeks. Will let know how goes....;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I have used it but I haven't come to a conclusion yet as to it's value over my Etrex Vista.

The vista looks bulkier(handheld) and more expensive than the forerunner(wristmount)

Would'nt this (assuming all else is equal) make the forerunner a more flock friendly tracking device?

Anyone got a better recommendation for handheld GPS?

Is the altitude data similar to the protrack/neptune plots or are they much coarser?

No, Not without incident

Forerunners don't have altimeters (yet). If they come out with a 301, it probably will, since that's how it's gone with their other series. If the start times are good and they slap in an altimeter, I'll definitely be picking this one up.

BTW, the Vista is actually pretty small. It's cel-phone sized.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Frwd has a GPS device with altimeter. http://www.frwd.com/ A freestyle team here in Finland is sponsored by this company. They have mounted these devices to side of their rigs. PC software can make 3D figures of your jump and you can also add data from multiple devices to one figure (e.g. to compare 2 wingsuit flights). I'll make a wingsuit jump with this device soon and post some results here..

Drawback of the "standard" model is that it records your position only once per second, but e.g. these devices here have been changed to make recording a bit more often. Price is still also pretty high [:/] 849EUR for basic model and 1212 EUR for some "professional" model..
- Oikku

But it specifically says it tracks elevation

Quoting from Amazon.com

you get many of the features GPS users have come to rely on, such as precise latitude, longitude, altitude data.

I am no GPS expert but triangulation on 3 sats(and it claims to contact 12) would have to give you altitude or have I the wrong end of the stick here.

If you mean, there's no real time altimeter then thats fine, I will continue to use my chest strap mounted alti2.

I ended up ordering it so I will see what it can do when it arrives.

No, Not without incident

I have been thinking of building a real-time glide angle indicator for some time, incorporating a barometric pressure sensor and a handheld GPS unit.
But how to present the data? I do have a helmet mounted display I could use, but that would definitely get expensive. How about a series of LEDs that show your performance relative to a preset glide angle?
Any other suggestions?

Oh, and does anyone feel like sponsoring my R&D lab? :)