rendezvous

What does it feel like ?

Ok ! this might sound like a silly question but I'll ask it anyway ... how does it feel like when you are flying a wing suit ? Also, what after you've made say 40 or 50 jumps and got past the initial thrill. Do you think it get's boring just flying around or is there more to it ?

... how does it feel like when you are flying a wing suit ?

It feels like (and is) flying...

Also, what after you've made say 40 or 50 jumps and got past the initial thrill. Do you think it get's boring just flying around or is there more to it ?

I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead.

Chris

It feels like tracking with a lot more control.

I think you feel that way because you are still learning how to fly the suit correctly. You can do things in a suit that you will never be able to do on a tracking dive no matter how bad ass you are. I have heard other peole say that it's just like tracking and when I ask them how many flights they have it's usually only one or two at the most. Until you learn how to fly the suit efficiently you are still pretty much falling out of the sky like a skydiver only a little bit slower and with more forward drive. Once you learn how to fly the suit at it's and your most efficient there will be no doubt in your mind that you are really physically flying as much as a human being is possible of at this point in time. It really is truely amazing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was trying to compare it to something a "normal" skydiver could understand. And it is *comparable* to tracking, but I also added the stipulation "with a lot more control". Emphasis on a lot. I was mindblown by my first flight and consider it much more powerful and versatile than tracking and a whole different animal altogether. It actually felt very close to canopy flight (fast fast canopy flight) in some ways... especially when I started feeling how much you dive in turns.

In the previous post I was just trying to make an analogy where none can truly be made... :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>It feels like tracking with a lot more control.

It felt like that for me until jump 5 or so, when something clicked, and I felt an amazing amount of lift pull me forward and up. I still fly in that "tracking" mode sometimes when I'm flying relative to people, but there's a lot more the suit can do.

I felt an amazing amount of lift pull me forward and up

Is it possible that lift is similar to the lift created by a track... only it's a lot more, and a lot more versatile? Would you classify that as a degree of control you have when flying?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

As far as your question in regards to down the road after a bunch of jumps, "then what" ? You really should ask the guys that have several hundred, if not thousands of, wingsuit only flights and never take it off their rigs. Its all they ever do now. How often do you hear freeflyers say " awe,... not another sit".

Wingsuits are a facet in skydiving's future that is going to be big. Sure there will be people that will want to do some competitive docks ( or grips) and turn points but that is just thinking of wingsuits from an RW perspective. Just like freeflying is still evolving, winsuits will offer up some more fresh options. I personally believe we haven't even scratched the surface.

Also, what after you've made say 40 or 50 jumps and got past the initial thrill. Do you think it get's boring just flying around or is there more to it

I can't answer yet, but I feel I'll never get bored...

how does it feel like when you are flying a wing suit ?

like the name of one of the wingsuit manufacturers : BIRD-MAN
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

>Is it possible that lift is similar to the lift created by a track...
>only it's a lot more, and a lot more versatile?

I dunno. It felt like the difference between falling and flying. When I track I still feel like I'm falling, I'm just also moving horizontally.

Wingsuits are only gliders. If I could fly then I could gain altitude

gliders gain altitude. So do wingsuits, provided you have the level to stay in a strong enough thermal :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I felt an amazing amount of lift pull me forward and up

Is it possible that lift is similar to the lift created by a track... only it's a lot more, and a lot more versatile? Would you classify that as a degree of control you have when flying?

I'd say it's a lot more and quite different from a track, see the photo for proof. You can see Chuck actually starting to get lift as he punches it out and moves above jay. The amount and speed of the lift is drastically different, it is actually somewhat similar to the sensation one gets in a plane when it quickly ascends.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead.
Chris

Thank you, Chris. I now have a new (better) signature.

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."