gmac324

Sabre2 107 at 1.75ish???

I currently jump a sabre2-135, and was posting recently about possibly buying a crossfire2-119.

I have decided that I going to buy a wingsuit this summer and do most of my jumping on that, so will stick with a sabre2.

But I would like a smaller one. Used to load my 135 at 1.55 for 200 jumps, now load it at 1.41.

I could get a 120 loaded at 1.6 but was leaning towards a 107 loaded at 1.75ish.

Is it a really bad idea to skip sizes when downsizing, or should I look at getting a 120 first. I have no doubt that I could handle a 107, but I have also never seen anyone with a highly loaded sabre2 so wouldn't mind a few opinions.

Was planning on doing 30 or so wingsuit flights with my 135 before considering changing canopies anyway, and thought that a small sabre2 would have more suitable opening characteristics than a crossfire 2.

Thanks, Graeme

I'd consider flying the 120 for a while first before trying the 107 on a wingsuit. Issues on highly loaded canopies come up in the un zipping process. If you lean to one side too much to undo a bootie you might put the canopy into a carve that is a pain to get out of. Its a real issue if you have loads coming after you or if you are opening in the same area as Tandems/Students.

Jumping my Jedei 136 at 1.5:1 is a really stupid idea on my S3 and I'm looking to get a larger canopy thats more docile next year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think there are 2 distinct issues here and I'll address them both.

The Birdman issue: Your choice of a Sabre 2 for Birdman is a good one. That model canopy works very well for Birdman flights and has all the desirable opening characteristics one wants with a wingsuit. As for highly loading it, Sky:ph34r:one jumps a Sabre2 97 with his suit as have I. There aren't any issues with this as far as opening and flying characteristics is concerned in regard to Birdman flights.

The downsizing issue: There is a whole thread on this in another forum. To summarize it here I will tell you to See BillVon's 7 things to do before downsizing paper. I'm not saying downsizing is bad or that you should/shouldn't do it. I am saying that you need to look at your motives behind downsizing and honestly assess your canopy skills based on Bill's paper. If you still feel you need to downsize I suggest you DEMO that canopy make and size on a regular skydive before you hook a Birdman suit up to it.

Here is the actual article on downsizing
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for your help.

Main intention in this forum was to check up on a highly loaded sabre2 and a wingsuit to see if it was a good combo.

I will look into actually downsizing separatley and am in no rush to cause any harm to myself :)
Any input is always appreciated,

Graeme

I thin the step is a big one for anyone at those loadings. Specificaly addressing the Birdman issue, I think currency on your main is far more important than any loading information.

I've seen several people have mals because they use a main they are uncurrent on because it is "more birdman suitible" and are not prepaired for how it reacts.

This is not to say you should rush your decision to downsize. The Sabre 2 is a nice canopy at a 1.6 loading.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I will agree with both points. The Sabre2 is a brilliant wingsuit main. I load my 97 to 1.82, but you have to understand that this is quite an upsize as compared to my Velocity 79 and the four mains even smaller than that which I jumped previously on a regular basis. I am extremely current under sub-100 mains and have no issues whatsoever with my choice.

I would say that jumping down two sizes is a bit rash. Opening and flight characteristics under ANY main at that wingload are going to be considerably different than that 135 he is currently jumping. Like JP said: currency and confidence under whatever main you choose is imperative to stress-free wingsuit openings.

Chuck

Unfortunatly Manbird (Steve) has been banned from this forum for some comments made about Lou Diamond I believe.
Anyway, He has nothing but praise for his Sabre 2. It opens great even considering some very sloppy packing on occasion.
I fly a Crossfire 2 loaded at 1.85 to 1 when doing birdman suit jumps. Although it is not recommended to be flying an eliptical canopy, I love my Crossfire 2. The opennings are great, I love how it sets you upright then finishs openning. You can unzip before you have an fully open canopy. I also love that I can steer myself with my hips while unzipping to get myself pointed where I need to be.
Kirk

Thanks for all of your advice guys.

I will stick with my 135 for the time being, until I have done lots of birdman jumps. Then I might consider buying a sabre2 120.

I have realised jumping to a 107 is a silly idea and will likely end up in me hurting myself so I will stick with what I've got for now.

Graeme

I dont have time to read all the posts or see what your like but just for info sake in my opinion...for sure 1.75 no problem....

I do 1.65 ish on a 120....its brilliant.... I piss all over some of these wankers on there little xbraces...but then again Im current and have tons of swoops over 12 yrs...plus it opens beautiful as well

so if your current and clued in on the bigger picture it will work lovely but but but if you have the skill to make the landings work .. which is easier than a velo...

I have seen skymonkeyone in zhills on his 97 and that dude kicks ass for sure.... hes my personal sabre2 swooping hero after jari of course ( coz hes better looking )

Chuck....Im not known to walk the other side of the fence and Im certainly not rushing to buy a ticket out to San Francisco... Just elaborating on quotes from my bitches... you got the juice dude... but Jari he gets them gushing downstairs... know what I mean?

i am new to wing suit flying and i jump a crossfire2-119 loaded at 2.1:1 and it is a little exciting.i haven't had any problems yet but i did have the slow carve that got really fast before i could get unzipped and fly.i would NOT recomend this set-up in fact i am looking for something in the 170 range just so i have more time.any suggestion on a non ellip. canopy?
big country
base998

thanks monkey... what about the openings on the original sabre? i once landed with two halves of a pair of pants after a sabre opening and some really bad leg bruises to match.

Unlike regular jumps on the Sabre, Birdman openings are consistant and for the most part soft.Most importantly, they are extremely stable and forgiving of poor body position during deployment. They are an incredible good deal for those looking for a Birdman specific canopy on a budget.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING