dgskydive

Knifes Edge!?

I heard from a friend of mine said that one of the BMI's no names (yet) is claiming that they can fly what they call a Knifes Edge with a Bird suit. From what I have been told is that this person turns on their side and can stay with someone maxed out on there belly. Maybe I don't get it! Has anyone seen this or does anyone believe it can be done?:S
Dom

Makes sense. I'd imagine that the lower arm and leg would be pulled in, allowing the high wings, when extended, to act as a stabilizer... like on a spaceball or those newer d-bags. Never thought of that before. Very cool.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Wouldn't flying on your side make you fall a lot faster though? I would think you would fall like a brick because of the lack of surface area.

Yes, but if you're trying to stay with belly flyers, that's one way do it. There are other easier ways to do it, but that one's pretty cool.

Click

I am going to try it this weekend. I'll give 50 bucks to the first person that can show me video of this being done. Not with a belly flyer but with another Bird Suit that is flying flat. Not all closed up but actually using the suit! Since that was the claim. It just seems that the aerodynamics don't work. I would think that flying on your side in a Bird Suit would create less drag therefore increasing your fall rate to close to belly speeds. What about the forward speed? Where is the drive coming from? I am really interested in seeing how this works. I only have about 20 or so Wing suit jumps and am trying to learn as much as I can.
Dom

Is this supposed to be a sustained flight on ones side ie: flying like an aircraft on it's side? It is quite possible to fly in that attitude when conducting a hard turn right out of the door or on a break off. But as far as holding it for a substantial amount of time without a degredation in flight, I will believe it when I see it in a MOVING video as even I can produce stills of myself and SM1 in what has been described.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott the way I heard it is, that this was sustained flight. You are right about the turns. See that all the time when flocking around. I tried to be specific about the fact that I will give up the 50 bucks for video. If I wasn't clear before, it is for VIDEO only!
Dom

I am going to try it this weekend. I'll give 50 bucks to the first person that can show me video of this being done. Not with a belly flyer but with another Bird Suit that is flying flat. Not all closed up but actually using the suit! Since that was the claim. It just seems that the aerodynamics don't work. I would think that flying on your side in a Bird Suit would create less drag therefore increasing your fall rate to close to belly speeds. What about the forward speed? Where is the drive coming from? I am really interested in seeing how this works. I only have about 20 or so Wing suit jumps and am trying to learn as much as I can.

OH, i didn't realize that you meant another wingsuit flyer on their belly. I thought you meant a non-suited skydiver on their belly. Yeah... flying on your side for any amount of time won't do much for you. The other wingsuit flyer wouldn't not be able to be in full flight and stay relative at all.

Click

Ask Lou Diamnond what he experienced when he tried to prove/disprove this theory. His O-ring was very tight.

Not saying that if I can't do it, it can't be done BUT...I will tell you this much, I am raising the Bullshit flag on this one. When I see it on film or in person in the air I will be the first to say that it can be done. Until then, I say WHOM EVER made this claim is full of shit.

I approached this with lots of thought since I have a rudimentary understanding of aerodynamics and even then my common sense buzzer was going off when I heard this so called "claim" of flying on ones side(wings vertical to the earth) Long story short, I can get to about (estimate) 75 degrees before it goes to shit. It is not unlike rolling over onto ones back just slower and no bringing the one arm in. The result of trying to go past this mark resulted in a spin close to blackout proportions. It was not entirely a flat spin since I was spinning on both my stomach and on my back violently,while balled up and balling up did not stop it at all. The only way I was able to stop it was when I transitioned belly to earth in the spin I opened my wings up and looked down at the ground, much like a style set. It was then my wings caught air and I regained stability and I extended my legs and resumed normal flight. It was incredibly hairy and very hard to stop. I have been in a flat spin before and the ball up method worked like a charm. What I encountered may or may not be repeatable but it was by far the worst case thing that can happen during a wingsuit dive IMO. But when I came out of it I was like "hey,I almost died...coool";)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Couldn't post at work today. Glad to hear you came out of that ok! I guess this proves it probably doesn't work. I am glad it was just to damn hot this weekend to put a suit on, or I may have had the same experience. I hope people with low wingsuit jumps don't try this. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't think it would cause that sort of trouble. Hopefully the BMI in question has read this thread and stops telling folks that they do this. Newbies are very easy to impress with tall tales and I shutter to think of any that may try it and find themselves in that position. To the BMI in question. Stop the madness! Be responsible. How bad would you feel if this happened to a newbie and maybe they went in? You were telling this tale to some very experienced jumpers and none of them had the heart to tell you to your face it really isn't possible. If I had known that what happened to Scott was a possiblity I would have stepped up and said something when you where telling your story! If you can do this, I will be right behind Scott in saying that I am wrong! Just had to bring it to the attention of someone and didn't want to embarass you in public. Hope you have learned a lesson. You make yourself look bad when you go to a big DZ like Perris and say things like that in front of some of the most experinced skydivers in the world. People with more wing suit jumps then you have skydives! It also hurts the credibilty of BMI's (just for the record I haven't seen met anyothers that believe your tale). Imagine if AFF instructors where out there telling students things that weren't true, how long do you think they would be working with students after they where found to be full of tall tales? LEt me apologoze in advance if you are able to do this! I doubt it very much!
Dom

>I am glad it was just to damn hot this weekend to put a suit on . . .

It was not too damn hot to put a suit on, you wimp!

Yeah, what the hell is that? Too hot... I laugh.

Back to the original thread...

The only flat spin I ever had was doing something similar to this (posted on this board). I went head down and attempted a banking pullout. It went great for about five seconds and there was some serious g-force happening, but when I got too far onto my side, it sort of "popped" and threw me into a violent spin. The ball up method worked to a degree, but the spin didn't come to a stop until I just went back into flight.

When you turn on your side, you're banking. There may be someway to fall almost straight down on your side, but you won't maintain fall rate and it is not practical. I'd imagine that the pressure from the bank is what throws you into a flat spin when you roll over a certain angle.

Click