Jasmin

Earned my wings

Did my first birdmans this w/e, not just content with that I went up and did a rodeo/surf on a birdman too!!
Awesome fun, thanks to Fergie for the fun and putting up with my fat arse and feet on his back!
;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Nice! Lots of first flights this last weekend all over the world. Took a friend of up for his first two flights, and am letting him borrow my GTi this week (he works at the DZ). Another addict. He was so enamoured with the flight that he forgot to do... well... anything.

He did his practice pulls and had good on-heading deployments for both jumps (the most important part of first jumps), but on the first one, he just kept flying in a straigt line, the opposite direction of the DZ. I'd fly over to him, point to the right, and turn right, but he kept going straight. I did this three times. I popped up to keep an eye on him while giving me enough altitude to make it back after he deployed. He dumped and I hauled ass back to the DZ. Good thing we had a Sabre 170 on him. He dumped almost two miles away from the DZ (upwind), but made it back no problem. He did much better on the second flight (in terms of both blight and navigation).

And the flock continues to grow.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Thats funny Kimme also forgot the second 90 degree turn even though I motioned for her to follow me back upwind to the DZ.
5k pull on spectre 170, she makes it back with no problems and a great big smile . First flights pull high. Some people focus too much on "how" they are and how much fun they are having and forget "where" they are on those first few flights.

The only person I've ever seen nail the navigation on the first flight was Randy (Zenister on dz.com). He set his first alarm to go off at 10K to remind him to go back to the drop zone. I should have all future new birds do that if they have a ProTrack. Hell, they can borrow mine.

Click

I've had several first timers nail navigation on the first flight. Our very own wingnut ,or wingi as he likes to be called, did a fantastic job of it at Rantoul and that place was tuff enough for even the veteran WS jumpers to navigate.
Of coarse some DZs are better than other for this and it also depends on time of day. For example at San Diego you just follow the lake back.
Maybe we should take a cue from those that jumpmaster night jumps and ask the first time bird man to "spot " the DZ before exit and remind them we need to fly back there. Even though by the time someone is able to fly wingsuits they have several hundred if not thousands of jumps and have been spotting for themselves at least a portion of those jumps.
Experience in tracking and navigation are valuable skills not just for wingsuit jumps but just in case you experience an in flight situation and have to egress and you are not directly above the DZ.

Worst one I've seen is SkyBytch... :D She decided that she wanted to fly right across WFFC after VectorBoy and I made swoops at her to steer her away.

I took a girl out last weekend with about 300 jumps that nailed the turns, just lost DZ awareness and tracked kinda at an angle to it and we were way long anyways so we landed off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The only person I've ever seen nail the navigation on the first flight was

I think this is due in part to the issue being addressed on the ground. If you cover it with the student and reitterate it to them before you leave the A/C you usually don't have a problem. Of all the people I took on first time flights at WFFC, and there was over 50 of them. I only had one person not fly the planned flight plan and that was due to a manky exit. He flew the correct flight plan just with a wrong initial direction. He went left off the direction of flight instead of right once he got stable.

I have seen new birds with a handful of jumps seem to forget that they needed to fly back to the DZ on a few occassions. I won't name names so as to protect the guilty;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have seen new birds with a handful of jumps seem to forget that they needed to fly back to the DZ on a few occassions. I won't name names so as to protect the guilty;)

:SDude, it was dark, and the fireworks, and Kevin's glowsticks, and , and , and;)
D'oh!! Guilty as charged, thanks to Mono Uno for the radio, so sorry we wasted y'alls time setting out landing lights.:)C-ya
Blair

I think what I'm lacking is the explanation of "why" we fly that pattern. I usually don't tell people "why" about anything, in skydiving or otherwise, unless they ask. Getting off of the line of flight makes sense to everybody, but people don't really expect to travel that far, and are used to magically ending up over the drop zone as long as the green light was on when they get out.

The other part of it is how enamoured people get with the flight (especially when they get a good fall rate on their first flight). I work like crazy to get their attention, on up to grab their hand and pulling them along with my turn, but when they're really stunned by the flight, it doesn help much.

Click

Thanks matey, I'm still saving up to come play...:ph34r:

You reachable on your Euro mobile?

I now have a flock in the making at my dz:
currently have 4 birds (and 1 soon-to-be birdbabe!;)),
4 suits on order and another 8 are interested!!!:)
Fly and be free!!!
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Nope, but I did my "angel" jump today in clear flowy white shirt and complete with halo.
My boobs made an appearance....
xj