Shadowplay

Helmets and Noise

Im in a line of work that places special emphasis on my hearing. So naturally I'm a little concerned about all the wind noise I encounter when I jump (I'm on AFF Level 7). Of course the only helmets I've used so far have been pretty basic. I was wondering if the motorcycle helmets help cut down on the surrounding noise. If not, any suggestions?

Mindwarps are OK; full face helmets are quieter overall.

Most people can wear foam earplugs in freefall (and on the plane, which is even more important), which cuts down the noise a lot more than a helmet by itself will.

Make sure to use an earplug that's pretty foamy so it doesn't trap air too well, or that might cause more problems than it solves.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I tried a FreeZR demo helmet this past weekend. It was the quietest helmet I've jumped, I couldn't believe it. I normally jump a Z1 and I've jumped the Oxgyn and Factory Divers as well. Very comfortable helmet as well with tons of peripheral visibility.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Im in a line of work that places special emphasis on my hearing. So naturally I'm a little concerned about all the wind noise I encounter when I jump (I'm on AFF Level 7). Of course the only helmets I've used so far have been pretty basic. I was wondering if the motorcycle helmets help cut down on the surrounding noise. If not, any suggestions?

I hope you don't actually mean motorcycle helmets....but perhaps you mean full face helmets? A real motorcycle helmet is way too heavy - it could snap your neck on a hard opening, or at the very least cause some damage.

I am also in a line of work that requires good hearing.....so I wear earplugs in the airplane, and take them out just before exit. I jump a Bonehead Mindwarp or a Velocity camera helmet - both do a good job of keepin the noise levels down in freefall. It is important, IMO, to be able to hear well once you are under canopy, so that's why I take the earplugs out before exit. I don't want to mess with trying it after canopy deployment - I'm kinda time limited there anyways, and have several other things to do immediately.

I assume you're using a Pro-tec helmet for student jumps....see if you can borrow a Bonehead type open face or a full face helmet from somebody for a jump. I doubt your instructors would mind, as long as it doesn't interfere with your abilities and they can still see your eyes.

Mike

I too think the aircraft noise is something you should worry more about. You're sitting in the plane for 15-20 minutes or more (depending on the aircracft, etc.) You won't want to wear your helmet the whole time.

I have an Oxygn full-face helmet, and to tell you the thruth, I've never paid attention to the freefall noise. The Protec's are definitly noisier because they're more vented, and don't have a full face shield.

Get good earplugs and wear them for the ride up, and even in freefall if you feel comfortable with it. I take mine out for freefall, because I want to hear if someone is yelling at me under canopy.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Interesting.. Who makes the FreeZR? I haven't heard of that one...

It's a new helmet, they were demoing them at the Ranch this past weekend. They're made by Paratec.

Edit - Paratec's website is http://www.paratec.de but I couldn't find anything about the helmet in either the English or German version.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Ahh.. I remember reading something in Skydiving about that, but it didn't have a name yet. Nice to hear it seems like a good helmet, I'll have to check them out once they show up at the local gear store.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I didn't actually mean a motorcycle helmet. I just didn't know the correct terminology for the full face helmets that I see other guys jumping with.

In retrospect, now that I've had a few days to think about it, the freefall noise probably isn't all that damaging at this point. I mean we're talking 60 seconds max but I was more interested I guess in whether these helmets would cut down on the noise. I do notice it when I'm out there.

Thanks for all the responses.

I tried a FreeZR demo helmet this past weekend. It was the quietest helmet I've jumped, I couldn't believe it. I normally jump a Z1 and I've jumped the Oxgyn and Factory Divers as well. Very comfortable helmet as well with tons of peripheral visibility.

How was the fit of the FreeZR, compared to the Z1, etc.? Is there any more room for eye glasses?

I've heard numerous people comment on how quiet the Gunner (new helmet from Boneheads) is, especially considering it's an open face helmet.

Yep I have the gunner, its VERY VERY quiet!!! When I put it on there is only a low hum of engine noise. Last weekend the guy next to me was trying to talk to me, I had to take off my helmet to be able to hear him. Either that or he would of had to scream. Good helmet, me likes!!

I have the gunner, its VERY VERY quiet!!!

I demo'd the gunner and it is extremely quiet. I loved it on the ride up for the short amount of time that I wore it and during freefall, but under canopy I felt like it was too quiet. So I demo'd the aviator and I liked that even better. It cut the noise down for most of the jump, but allowed me to hear better under canopy. While no one has had to yell to (or AT) me, yet, I want to know that I can hear them...even while blocking excess noise.

And, contrary to popular belief, I am not planning on buying the Aviator JUST because that red pattern looks so damn cool! (Hmmm....Lisa, I may need to demo that helmet again this weekend....you know, to test it for .... ummm....noise level....right, that's it! ;))
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

http://www.paratec.de/Englisch/Seiten/A_E.html

in english

anyone know when its supposed to be out?

I couldn't find a page with the helmet, in English. The helmet has been in use for about 1 year in Germany, came to the U.S. about a month ago, doesn't have any west coast dealers yet. U.S. is handled by:

Ken Krueger
Paratec-USA, Inc.
PO Box 276
Valhalla, NY 10595

Tel: 914-484-1448
Fax: 914-997-7747
[email protected]

I've exchanged e-mails and spoken to Ken, who seems very helpful. He's going to send me a demo unit -- I'll report back after I have a chance to evaluate it. I'm mainly interested because of the room to accomodate eye glasses. The only other full face one that does, with my head size/shape, is the Havok, which I didn't like all that well.

With a protec i used to be aware of the 'noise' and when it stopped after the canopy opened. I now jump a Hurricane and noise is never an issue - and 've never missed the two ProDytters either. Any snug fitting helmet with 'continous' padding (ie not with holes like a protec) is going to kill the noise level. I've never jumped a full face helmet but i can't see them being much better than a snug fitting open face!

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com