ManBird

Beautiful

I so badly wanted to soar above the HERC at rantoul. I thought it was a sure thing in my S3 using the offered 200 MPH pass. It wasn't to be.
Talking after with the HERC crew about where I needed to be on exit and to Jari about body position during exit if I want to get above the aircraft I think I have a better understanding. Should have done my research before my flight.
That is a fantastic picture of human body flight!

I so badly wanted to soar above the HERC at rantoul. I thought it was a sure thing in my S3 using the offered 200 MPH pass. It wasn't to be.
Talking after with the HERC crew about where I needed to be on exit and to Jari about body position during exit if I want to get above the aircraft I think I have a better understanding. Should have done my research before my flight.
That is a fantastic picture of human body flight!

So do share... what did you learn?

You WILL learn it at Herc Boogie 2004. I will be there and so should you. There is nothing like the exit from C-130. ... Well, there is a party too, trust me, i will organize that too ;-)

Jari
Jari

"Hey, don't be afraid, ever. Because, it's just a ride."

So do share... what did you learn?

Talking to Jari about it later I learned that you have to be in a perfect flight attitude immediatley. Wings open legs out on go and to get above the craft the angle at which you hit the relative wind is critical. You also have to be solid as you go through this turbulence and not have it change your heading or attitude.
Since I was going from 0 to 200 I was trying to be slower and smoother on my exit. I waited a split second until after I passed the boundary layer to open up, I did ascend but only partially back to where I started. The Herc was really moving away from me by this time.
According the Herc crew there is a really nice low pressure area that flows along the bottom of the tail. They claim to have seen many regular freefallers get up in this stream and get high although not above. Its in the center above and behind the ramp.
I practiced flying solidly through the rough boundary layer on a few 145 mph Casa exits after this without success. Tailgates rock!
Jari makes surfing the slipstream look and sound easy but give it a try and let us know how you do.

Jari, the An-26 rulez!

It sure does ! Btw, thanks for sparing me the embarrasment and taking that still _after_ my sorry ass is thrown out of the frame :) Well, maybe I learned a thing or two from that exit and I'll surf that slipstream all the way next time.
http://www.ufufreefly.com