MickeN

Flying alone

When people talk about wingsuit flying they usually talk about flying relative to other wingsuit jumpers, flockdiving. You often hear people stating that flying wingsuit alone is boring, you need more wingsuits in the air to have fun. Is that the common opinion?

I've done all sorts of wingsuit jumps but the ones I by far enjoy the most are the solo jumps. When flying solo I can do EXACTLY what I want WHEN I want. I choose my own path in the sky, I find my own line through the cloud, I swoop whatever tandem I want. I max out the suit, I fly it as efficient as I can, or I collapse the wings and go into a steep dive...

For me wingsuitflying is about just that, flying. Many times when people get together and make flockdives they forget the flying part, it's more of a RW-jump with the heads pointing in the same direction. People are more focused on the proximity than the actual flying.

Why? Am I the only wingsuitjumper enjoying the solo wingsuitflight? Or am I just old and whining? ;) Don't get me wrong, I've done many great flockdives, but what do people have against doing solo flights?

/Micke N

Nah, there are plenty of folks that enjoy solo flights. I think it's maybe a "techie" thing in some cases, but in the end it's all about what you like. I am a very social person, so flocking is my game. I will also not "skydive" solo unless it's a hop and pop for swoop practice.

Chuck

i like them both, being able to fly relative and do various things while relative (forinstance a barrel roll up and over the person you're staying relative to) takes skill.. the many times i've jumped with others i haven't maxed out my suit or come close to it (see the vidoes we have posted, my legs are bent most of the time) but i enjoy going solo and seeing what my suit can really do..

best of both worlds I guess

try doing some jumps with "normal" people too, those are fun - rodeos, hybrids, etc.

I can actually stay with a sit flyer in my suit...

Yo,
I'm a total newbie bird boy but I love flying alone, all but one of my 10 or so filghts are solos. Part of the reason I love solos, is because I haven't done any flocking yet, don't know what I'm missing I guess. I do have another guy with a suit at my DZ that started with me, so we've made one 2 way (not even close), and plan to do more ASAP. I imagine I will always enjoy solos, I still do solo skydives and love solo BASE jumps, but the next level of enjoyment probably lies in living all those incredible moments...with your friends.
C-ya
Blair

Both are good. Its great to flock with friends or get rodeo'd but rippin radical turns and banks through openings and formations of clouds can't be beat. And that would be very dangerous to do with others if you loose sight of them. In the end they are all good. glen

Flocking is a lot of fun, and I'll try to flock more often than not. But I really enjoy flying next to big clouds by myself. Got out of a 182 yesterday right next to a 6,000 tall cloud and just circled the whole thing, staying right on the edge of it, looking at all the other fluffies, and keeping the suit maxed out for the entire jump (one of the few times I've made it all the way to deployment without fatigue). You don't always get to do that on flocks. It was one of the best flights I've ever had.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Flocking is a lot of fun, and I'll try to flock more often than not. But I really enjoy flying next to big clouds by myself. Got out of a 182 yesterday right next to a 6,000 tall cloud and just circled the whole thing, staying right on the edge of it, looking at all the other fluffies, and keeping the suit maxed out for the entire jump (one of the few times I've made it all the way to deployment without fatigue). You don't always get to do that on flocks. It was one of the best flights I've ever had.

i hope you have video, sounds sweet
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I find that flying alone can get boring if you don't give yourself things to work on or do. I find the few times I get to fly solo that really concentrating on flying as clean as possible and working on things like back flying, forward rolls and barrel rolls makes solos more fun. Flying camera with kevin has caused me to focus more on the filming aspect and less on the form. Although I have found I am flying better just by trying to keep the camera in position and have been adjusting and compensating at a subconscious level I still feel that solo dives give one the chance to just play or work on things. It's all about what you make it, the same can be said for solo RW or FF jumps.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Good point. There are a lot of goals one can set for themselves in WS flying. Creating new tricks is a good one, as well as going for maximum freefall time and/or distance, slowest fall rate, etc. I have a few Steve originals to show off once I can get with someone flying video. ;)

I'm ordering either a camera helmet, or parts to mod my Mindwarp this week. I already have the camera, though, which is a pretty big step. ;)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Good to hear people do enjoy solo flights!
But too many times I've heard people say "flying solo is boring". A comment like that always surprises me. What is their motivation? Do they think flying with others will give them more of a flying sensation? Or is it a social thing, a need for "showing off"?

The flying sensation comes from seeing the ground move, seeing the cloud pass by horizontally, or by passing that tandem so close you can see the passengers toothfillings. Why would any wingsuit flyer choose not to do these kind of jumps in favour of flockdives? I still don't get it...

/Micke N

Hej Micke. Yeah, I hear you. I think too many flock dives can build in bad habbits. To stay with less skilled people, fat guys in Classics, or the video guy who is not maxing out his suit, etc you sometimes have to have an arched body or legs up body position.

To avoid building bad habbits and to learn more about your suit I think solos are critical.

Although, I have to say I do find some small to big ways fun. Flying off in to the sunset seeing your good friends' smiles is priceless.

~Kim
(funky close up picture of me by Jussi Laine)
-Kimberly Griffin