themaninblack

who is the lightest?

whos the lightest/widest/tallest birdman out there? im just another fun jumper at this point but im looking at about 111 jumps before i can try a suit...reason i ask this is i fall so stupidly slow even without a suit im wondering what will happen when i get one...im 5'10" 135 lbs, 155 with rig if i dont wear the boots i use for extra weight and fall rate. my protrack says i have no problem getting a continuous average fall rate down into the mid-90's...i thought that cant be right and tried wearing protrack in several different pockets as well as helmet....nope, its not mistaken ive got dives where my max speed was 104 and average was 99. and no im really no good at RW i just get left hanging up there. im flexible enough to arch so far i can almost kick myself in the back of the head with the bottoms of my feet, got it on video, doesnt help. the camera guy who shot that had to wear a camera suit with large wings to stay up with me. last week i got a dive where the only way i could keep up with the RW guys i got separated from was by a standfly. ive already been told too many times im perfect for a birdsuit...so the question is how much do the birdpeople weigh in at? whos the lightest one so far? and how long does he/she fly?
evolution WILL be served, one way or another!!!! im not jumping, im imitating a reluctant meteor.

Wow ... you got me beat! 5'5" 140 (160 w/ rig).

I don't know how long I'm flying for exactly ... my ProTrack stops counting at 119 seconds. I'm consistant at going over 2 minutes without really pushing it that hard!

Fun jumps, surfing clouds, flying with the pilot of the aircraft I just exited, all the fun I want, and still over 2 minutes with avg fall rate in the high 40s-low 50s. Once I get a Neptune, I'll try and max out the suit.

I haven't been able to take the suit past 2 miles yet either, takes too long for the pilot to do that for me. I can cover the 2 miles and still do circles around canopies at this point. Gotta wait and jump on a slow day, when the pilot doesn't need to get back so quickly.

You'll be a good birdman flyer if you fly your body well. You've got the build for it. The only problem that us light people have is sometimes, if you're flying the absolute most perfect way to fly (which is impossible, no one's perfect!), the slightly heavier guys will still be able to out-drive you because of their momentum. Correct me if I'm wrong, Chuck, but Kim has even experienced this!

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

Just for the sake of following the original question, I am five-seven, 155 pounds before gear. I have jumped with several people who could out-float me at a given forward airspeed on flights, but none that could do so at the faster forward speeds we fly at when everyone is jumping SkyFlyers. I feel that the ability to "punch it out" is something that comes with experience. It's amazing how fast you can accellerate away from someone who is flying a bit dirty. With that increased forward speed, of course, comes the ability to get more lift, thusly increasing your flight time. Once a wingsuit pilot finds that "sweet spot," they then generally try to fly with likewise-accomplished flyers to really up their fun level.

Chuck

flying till your protrack gets bored and stops counting sounds good enough.:)

that's why i use video to tell how long i go(skydiving or otherwise)...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 5'9 135.... 155 w/gear.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

damn make me out to be the fat @$$

You?? I'm the one that sounds fat, lol ... I guess muscle weighs more than fat tho, because my 140 pounds at 5'5" isn't fat:S

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

3'4", 460 lbs.

DUDE! Can I borrow your suit? Kris is coming next week and I think that may be a perfect fit!:P

That's 5'8", 230# bizznitch. I haven't started walking like a penguin yet. You must have me confused with AggieDave.B|

*makes note to self to show Chuck what high-fallrate, combat skydiving is all about next weekend...*:)

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yeah, you will rock in a wingsuit with your height and weight (once you build the skill.)

So, far the best body type for the wingsuit I have met would be either Christian (mentioned above) or Martin Rosen from Sweden. Tall and skinny is an ideal body type for the WS. I'm 5'4" and 125, so I have a ton of range to float and dive, But, I'm on a waiting list for leg extentions right now. So, someday I can have even better forward drive.

But, it comes down to the fact that we all want to have fun and learn together. Right? So, we have to be kind to those who are aerodynamically challenged while not letting them fly lazy. And, just do solo jumps or jumps with other people at a similar range so we can push our own limits. Or, if you are aerodynamically challenged... learn to fly the hell out of your suit and your skill will make up for other's lack of it. I've flown with heavy not so tall guys who absolutely kick ass in their Classics because they know how to fly.

Jari does have a very good wingloading - he's about 6' and 165ish. But, I believe he could out fly taller/thinner guys because he flies so well.

So... It's not JUST size that matters.:ph34r:

Or, maybe there will be a new Nazi nation of tall, skinny WS flyers who seek and destroy anyone under 5'8" and over 160 lb. Oh no, I'd better start running now!

~Kim

-Kimberly Griffin