SkydiveNFlorida

Ahhh! Want to buy, but I know so little...

I have read lots, but still am scared to buy. I will have about 2000$ to play with next month, and i'm in desperate need of gear!! I am not sure if I want new or used. I'm kinda leaning toward new, cuz, it's new, and I can get my own colors (i'm a priss like that), it will be made for me, etc. I am at least wanting to get a container and reserve, tho, and i'm not sure I can get both new for 2000$, is buying a used reserve a no-no?

Ok, in order of importance for the container/harness:
*Comfort (I cannot spend more than another month jumping big heavy uncomfortable gear)
*Freefly friendly (must!)
*Compact (big sux)
*Something I can use for a LONG time. (i'd rather buy something smaller and it be a bitch to pack a larger chute in, than buy for the larger chute)

So, i've got this list of freefly friendly gear, and no clue as to what to do. Should I drive up to Deland and go around to the mfgs there? Also, someone told me you can usually expect to pay up to 25% less than the list price, but I never get good deals, do you have to barder?

I'm frusterated. I'd like to get a rig made for a 135 main/ at least a 135 reserve, I do plan to stuff a 150 main in it for a while so it does have to fit, even if it only barely fits.

Any recommends on rigs? I have heard everything from Javelin to Vortex (tho i'm not keen on the idea of buying out of country) I MUST have something!

Thanks SO much!
Angela.

I have been looking for gear myself, and I will tell you that getting new for $2000 is going to be pretty rough.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I got new gear for $2,000 from someone who gave up the sport - container, main, reserve, 2 year old cypress, brand new bev suit, alti, and gear bag.

However... it is a Dolphin and a Sabre 1. Had a rigger check it out and agreed it was a good first rig. A new Dolphin wouldn't be my first choice out of all of the rigs. Not really sure if it's freefly friendly or not.

There are some good deals out there. Check the classifieds. Also, check with Sunshine Factory. The guy that runs the place from what I understand can get his hands on a lot of stuff. If you can get something to try out have Sally Hathaway at z-hills check it out for you.

Can you say WINGS ;)

I can say it, but I'll buy an Infinity any day. The infinity is very packer and rigger friendly. It has fantastic riser coverage. The infinity doesn't have that pesky pop top either.

Both rigs are good but I definately prefer the Infinity.

I like other rigs for various reasons and settled on an Infinity due to it's ease of use and just simple good function.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ivan, I read up on the wings, and OMG, there are way too many 'options'. I have no clue what I would need, except maybe tie dye;) haha. Base price is 1430 I assume this just the container/harness, right? by the time i've picked options, i'll have no $$ left for a reserve:(

And, what kind of BOC pouch would be good? Is it necessary to upgrade from plain old spandex crap?
" Bottom of Container Pouches - To avoid the hassle of replacing a spandex BOC pocket every 200-300 jumps, we also offer a cordura pouch which is designed into the container. It is manufactured with the same 1000D cordura as the container to reduce wear and tear. We have also developed a larger, spacious pouch to allow the pilot chute to be flattened, giving the bottom of the container a cleaner, sleek look. "

Galen, that's great for ya! I must have freefly friendly, and man those Sabres open hard, that doesn't hurt ur back? I was glad to start renting Sabre II's, i'll tell ya. Great deal, tho! ! Specially with AAD. :)

Angela.

Why do you prefer infinity? How do I know which rig is really more comfortable, all of them claim superior comfort, etc. Also, there are like thousands of options normally, how do you know what you can and can't live without. I mean, you hate to pass up a 50$ option that you really want later. But, those can really add up, too. urrg.

thx !
angela.

Just ordered a Wings myself, you can get it cheaper at one of the bigger dealers and they usually have a monthly special option they're giving away cheaper or free.

For example Square2 offers it at 1072.50 USD ATM
Some people complained that the cordura BOC will not keep the PC in place as well as the spandex will. I'll see if that's true if combined with the freefly pud.

Looking at your profile, what sizes of canopies have you been jumping until now? because if you already see a downsizing upcoming in like 40-60 jumps, i'd rather wait as long and then get a right sized container instead of having it under a too high pressure. It's not just about a tough packjob and optics, it's about safety, too.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

hate to pass up a 50$ option that you really want later. But, those can really add up, too. urrg.

Hell, yes! I just got the info that with all my desired options, my rig came out 350$ more than i had thought!.... Ouch...
But look at the beauty (sorry, dont have the image here at work...);)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hi, thanks for replying. I'll definitely check it out! I could buy used, but not sure if I want to go that route unless its a real steal.

I just downsized to the Sabre II 150, and, to be honest, I don't see myself under it for all that long. I know I need to learn it b4 downsizing, and i'm willing, but I would like to go faster for sure. Is it really that bad to stuff a large canopy in a small container? Even if just for a couple months at most? I really hate renting, it's quite costly! Another thing, they take a while to mfg, by the time I get it, I might not even be jumping the 150. I won't have the $$ until October 3rd, so i've got some time to consider these things.

Yeah, I really want tie dye, soft reserve handle, freefly pud, stainless steel sounds nice, hmm, wonder if you need quilted backpad, oh, man, this could get really pricey!

thx!!
Angela.

is buying a used reserve a no-no?

Nope. You can find some great deals too - I got my PD143R for $300.

*Comfort

Any harness/container system that is built for your measurements is going to be comfortable.

*Something I can use for a LONG time. (i'd rather buy something smaller and it be a bitch to pack a larger chute in, than buy for the larger chute)

You can easily downsize one to two sizes in the same container - so if you buy something built for a 150 you can likely safely put a 120 in it later. Buy something sized for the canopy you're going to put in it. Trust me, you DO NOT want to stuff 150 sq ft into something designed to hold 135 sq ft - especially if you don't have quite a bit of experience packing zp yet.

Should I drive up to Deland and go around to the mfgs there?

Is there a gear store on your dz? If not, I know there are some within driving distance of your dz. I'd recommend working with a dealer over the manufacturer - many of the mfrs don't sell direct to customers anyway.

Also, someone told me you can usually expect to pay up to 25% less than the list price,

That was true late last year. Most dealers are selling at 20% off the base list price now; options are usually sold at retail price.

Oh yeah, you shouldn't have to prepay in full for a custom container; most dealers will accept a deposit (amount varies) with the balance due when the container comes in.

Any recommends on rigs?

Personally I love my Infinity. I also like the Wings, the Vector3, and the Talon3. But what I like best doesn't really relate to what you'll like best. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the containers built in the US. Choose based on what you can spend and which you like the look of best.

Here are the options I like I'll say why.

Lower Rings (articulated): flexibility Oh, and it looks cool.

Doublewide leg straps: Well more surface area to sit in. Comfort.

Parapac on the inside of the Leg pads and back pad: Comfort. Trust me on that. it's much nicer. This goes for any rig. And it's a free option.

Collapsible Pilot chute: Canopy flies better. It's cheaper as an option than it is to buy new.

My personal preference is pull-out, but if you wish to stick with throw out, I I suggest the hackey.

Reserve handle, I prefer the soft handle (which isn't soft, it's pipe. but you can use the d-ring if you prefer.

I could care less about the rest of the options. I like stainless but if cost is an issue it’s just a “nice to have” any way so forget about it.
======

All rigs say they are the most comfortable. Just ignore that. All reserves say low pack volume too ;)

The Infinity is comfy, but admittedly, so are other rigs. In all seriousness they do the same things so unless you over stuff it or make it stiff by over building it, the rig will be pretty comfortable. Not like a lazy boy but for a skydiving rig.

The riser covers are designed rather well. The internal riser covers are part of the reserve container side flaps. It's not an add on. This allows for the Actual riser cover to be smaller. Even with a fully packed rig, the reserve will extract quite easily. This generally isn't an issue any more with most rigs, but it's certainly not an issue with the infinity.

I am not a fan of Pop Tops. Look around and you'll see one of the reasons I say this. Very often you have seen the pop top sticking up a little (or a lot) on one side or the other. It doesn't speed up the deployment of the reserve to have a pop top, so forget about that argument.

If the rig fits well over the shoulders, (well sized and designed yoke) it’s generally a nice feeling rig.

I’m opinionated when it comes to harnesses. Being a harness builder, I’m picky. The Leg straps can be type 8 webbing but I dislike a type 8 Main lift web and reserve risers (which is the same piece, unless the rig is equipped with chest rings). Type 7 is the way to go.

Rigs are generally built very well nowadays. I like the simple genius of the Infinity. It’s solid and smooth. It’s easy to pack up the reserve, easy to pack up the main. What more could you want?

That’s about it. Hope that helps.

((darn it, I nearly got away with not having to edit...:P ??
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Is it really that bad to stuff a large canopy in a small container? Even if just for a couple months at most?

Want to find out first hand? I'll be at Sebastian again in a couple weekends....and if you want to try stuffing a 150 into a container built for a 120 main, you're welcome to try it out with my rig....though, I'm sure you won't want to after watching me stuff a 150(Sabre2) into that same container. ;) Trust me, it's a real bitch - and I have done many hundreds of ZP pack jobs. I actually psycho-pack mine just to get it into the bag.

Mike

I would suggest buying a container that is manufactured closer to where you are located. It makes for ease of service if you need parts, repairs, etc.Wings and Javelin are both manufactured in
Z-Hills and if I'm not mistaken Jumpshack is in Deland.
My personal vote is for the Wings.
---------------------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

First, thanks to all for helping me!

Lisa:

How many rides is too many when buying a used reserve?

I can understand that it'll be difficult to pack, and i'm not all that great a packer anyhow, i'm doing a psycho pack cuz the pro pack inflates too fast 4 me to get it in the bag. . . otoh, if I buy a container for a 150, and the smallest I can fit in there is a 120, which i'd load at about 1.7:1, I'll still get my $$ worth out of it... but, a container made for a 150, which I don't really plan on jumping for too long, is going to be larger than one made for a 135. And, in reality, i'll probably make 15-20 jumps a month, that's 200+ jumps a year, in 4 years/700-800jumps, i'll likely want to load a bit heavier than 1.7:1, considering I want to swoop, and i'd then be forced into a new rig rather than just having to buy a new canopy.

Aren't you working in Sebastian soon/now? You guys do this, right?

Hookit: , thanks for the low down on the options:P I feel like a kid in a candy store, man, oo, one of those, yea, one of those, too, hehehe.

Aviatrr, i'll probably be up that way, let me know when you'll be around. Although, i'm not trying to buy a rig made for a 120, but it'll give me an idea of what hell it really is. :)

thx again!
Angela.

And, in reality, i'll probably make 15-20 jumps a month, that's 200+ jumps a year, in 4 years/700-800jumps, i'll likely want to load a bit heavier than 1.7:1, considering I want to swoop, and i'd then be forced into a new rig rather than just having to buy a new canopy.

Buy gear that suits you NOW. You can worry about tomorrow, well, tomorrow.

As a side note, are you sure you're figuring your wingloading correctly? A 120 @ 1.7 puts your exit weight at 204 lbs, is that correct?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

About buying for your eventual size: it's better to buy used for your current size and then downsize safely. You can almost certainly find something used that fits well enough unless you're an extremely odd size.

And then the only pressure making you downsize will be your skill, rather than the repeated pain of stuffing your rig in.

Too many jumps on a reserve? I'd hesitate before buying a reserve from someone else with more than 3 jumps, but I'd jump my own that I put 3 jumps on in a heartbeat. Because I know where all of those jumps came from. If you get a PD reserve, they have a maximum number of jumps or repacks before it's supposed to be sent back to the factory.

Good luck. Read some of the wingloading wars before planning your progression too closely. It's much more challenging and less forgiving than it looks. What makes it look so cool is what makes it so hard.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the thoughts you are having now is EXACTLY why i opted to buy used initially. nope, it didn't fit PERECT. NOPE. I didn't have that brand spanking new main that matched. I didn't have a cypres either. BUT I DID have a container that fit, was safe and allowed me to downsize a size or two safely. When I ended up with my 136 I have now, I sold that container to someone in the same position i had been in and just bought the new container to fit what i'd be using for the long term. Think safe, not size. :)
__

How many rides is too many when buying a used reserve?

Technically a reserve is airworthy as long as a rigger says it is. The guy who taught me to jump used to say after 3 it was time to retire it. I know of someone who replaces his reserve with a brand new one after putting one jump on it. My reserve had 4 jumps on it when I bought it.

It's a personal choice kinda thing.

but, a container made for a 150, which I don't really plan on jumping for too long, is going to be larger than one made for a 135.

How tall are you? The difference in overall dimensions between the two isn't really as much as you might think.

If you're "not tall" you may be happier with a container that is designed to be shorter from top to bottom (like the Wings, which makes up the difference in the thickness front to back).

After 700-800 jumps you're going to want a new container anyway.

You guys do this, right?

Sure do. :)

Oops, um, I meant 1.17 : 1 lol!

Wendy, I hear what you're saying, but I already feel like the 150 is gonna be too slow to keep for long. But, of course, I want to fly it for a while, anyhow... I know i'll want a 135 b4 long, tho. You don't think it is more reasonable in this case to buy for the 135, and put the 150 in it until i'm ready to downsize, which i'm figuring, won't be long?

thx!
Angela.

SkydiveNFlorida,

I see that you have 29 or so jumps - this is a good time to buy your own equipment.
What i learned to believe is that it may not be a good idea to buy your equipment new. Think about this - between jumps 50 and 250, your canopy piloting skills will grow Exponentially!! Do you really want to spend the extra money for a new main and then be bored with it in a year?!? Also the Container, depending on what you are thinking, you may wind up with a real problem when you downsize.
Take it from me, Get some used gear first. It will save you time, money, and frusteration when it comes to downsizing in a short while.

Blue Ones,
=========Shaun ==========

Lisa, i'm 5'4", ~120lbs. I don't really know what will be the best container for me cuz i've not tried many on. I tried on a tiny Javelin, tho, and it felt really sweet (of course, it also held a 96sf main, lol!)

Unstable, yeah, maybe you're right about buying used. I'm still considering it, i'm not set on buying new, it just sounds nice:) I could buy a used container, and maybe even a used main & reserve and voila, a complete rig within the next month! :D

Angela.