bergh

DZ at 5000ASL.

Hi people

I was just wondering what you currently jump and what you would jump if you had to land at my home
dz which is 5000ft above sea level.

I personaly jump as 150 Hurricane.
I am +- 165lbs out the door.

Cheers

You should probably move this thread to the canopy control forum. You will get some better feedback there. I jump in CO where the various dz's range from 4000' to 6500' ASL. I can land my fx loaded at 2:1 in half brakes even when the density altitude is up around 9500' no problem. If you learn at a high altitude dz, the higher speeds and altitude loss just seem normal.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Scaling issues make this an inexact statement, but a generic rule of thumb that might work is that for every 3000 foot (900m) increase in density-altitude your canopy will have about 10% less lift.

This increase in density-altitude could be from either jumping at a higher elevation drop zone, or an increase in temperature at the same drop zone.

The rule of thumb for an increase in temperature is that for every increase in temperature of 15 degrees F (8.5C), density-altitude increases by 1000 feet (300m).

A temperature increase at your home dz of 45 degrees F (25.5C) is like flying a 10% smaller canopy.

The effects of a higher elevation drop zone with higher temperatures also accumulate. For a more detail explanation go HERE.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was jumping a Silhouette 210 loaded at 1.21:1, and went to Slydive New Mexico which has a DZ elevation in the neighborhood of 5500 FT MSL. I tightened up my approach due to the increased descent rate, flared a little higher and smoother, and had no problems. I knew I had to be on my toes, though. ;)
Arrive Safely

John

I jumped quite a few times at Quito Ecuador when training their Special Forces. That is 9500 feet ASL. It was difficult to breath before and after jumping, but no bother in freefall.

I doubt you would want to jump the rigs I was using, everything from rounds, triangular and square chutes.B|

> but a generic rule of thumb that might work is that for every 3000
> foot (900m) increase in density-altitude your canopy will have about
> 10% less lift.

Not to pick, but your canopy always has exactly the same amount of lift - it's always equal to your exit weight (for obvious reasons.) But the canopy has to fly faster to get the same lift at higher altitudes and temps.

. . . but your canopy always has exactly the same amount of lift . . .

Hmmm, I'm gonna disagree there on a couple of technical issues.

In fact, now that I think about it, the ONLY time the canopy's lift actually equals the exit weight is during level flight. :P If the canopy is decending, the lift is slightly lower then weight, which is usually the case isn't it? :P :P

So, perhaps both our words should have been more clear.

Let me try to restate to be at least a little more clearly understood.

Scaling issues on parachutes make this an inexact statement, but a generic rule of thumb that might work is that for every 3000 foot (900m) increase in density-altitude your canopy will have about 10% less lift all other factors being equal (angle of attack, airspeed, et al.).

Don't believe me?

See FoilSim.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi people

I was just wondering what you currently jump and what you would jump if you had to land at my home
dz which is 5000ft above sea level.

I personaly jump as 150 Hurricane.
I am +- 165lbs out the door.

Cheers

I stayed with the canopy I was jumping at sea level when I moved to a 6500msl dz. Landing got a lot faster, had to relearn how to land pretty much. My exit weight is about 225, or if I am doing video 235.
Miami