pdk

Houston, we have a little problem with the packjob

5 CReWdogs (me behind the camera) ready for a 5 way.
If you look closely you can see that there is no place for the pilotchute on the far left jumper.
We just gave him the pilotchute on exit and he jumped.
He did it several jumps and with good openings every time.

My pack jobs on my freefall rig looked downright scary since the pack tray was too small. My crw rig, however, is sized appropriately and the only indications that it's a crw rig is the large 2-1 crw toggles sticking out from the riser covers... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WHY does it usually look like this? Cool factor or functionality? What's the logic here???

it DOES NOT usually look like that.
not in my world anyway.

many CReW folk like to joke about stuff hanging out, but that photo reveals a wee bit-o-excess in the hangy out department.

i know few dz's in the usa that would let you get on a plane geared like that, very few.

and do i understand that they were basically PCA ing the one guy out the door????

that could get interesting depending upon plane; type, speed, attitude.

yahoo

kleggo

WHY does it usually look like this? Cool factor or functionality? What's the logic here???

Because they're free packed.....no D bag. Mine isn't quite that ugly but there's usually fabric hanging out both sides.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Not only is there no D bag, but the lightening has some what of an increased pack volumn with all the extra reenforceing and such.

Futher, most jumpers who get into CRW already have a free fall rig that fit a certain size canopy. It may not hold the lightening they need to jump for CRW. (few jumpers want to go out and buy a whole new rig just so the lightening will fit right. So a little sticks out since there is no D bag.

Usually not much sticks out anyway. and lots of times only the risers will because of the typical type 8 with block grips and extra sets of toggles and such.
my canopy is totally contained, if I got lazy some would stick out. For now only the risers aren't covered because they just don't fit.

That photo is really nasty. Kleggo is right maybe if they were a rouge DZ or something or maybe were acustomed to seeing that nasty of a pack job. You wouldn't be let on the plane like that.

It's one thing to poke fun of a CRW pack job and to get a reaction out of free fallers but that photo is way over board.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

wow, i've had some bad pack jobs, but that is CrAzY!!!!!! Even my worst pack jobs look better than that.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Same here... when I was trying to pack a borrowed Lightning 143 into my freefall rig (which was way too small), the resulting bulge cracked the plastic stiffener bar in the bottom closing flap because that was bent just about in half... though I managed to get all canopy fabric contained. That was scary-looking enough to me.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

<>

Because a freepack is easier more reliable and consistent for experienced jumpers doing short delays.

The 2 pack jobs in the picture would be a good way to tear up your gear and get yourself and your buddies hurt.
We learn about snag hazards in the FJC.

Because a freepack is easier more reliable and consistent for experienced jumpers doing short delays.

In MY OPINION, a D-Bag is easier, more reliable, and consistent than a freepack.

Just in case any newbies think there's only one way to deploy a CRW canopy. ;)

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...