Skream

Help: Comfortable goggles for contact wearers

its funny that you mention that...I asked the guy who makes them here in sebastian because I always used to put tape on them for my AFF students that wear contacts and he said that there is no need to do that. He actually skydives with contacts with flexvision goggles and he doesnt tape over them. Strange. I wonder where the tape thing comes from. I dont wear contacts, so its all foreign to me...

I just bought a pair of Sorz original. I wear contacts and I was a little worried about the holes in the side, but I just jumped them yesterday and they were great. No complaints and they are nice and comfortable. I also wore them for a couple thousand feet in the plane and had almost no fogging to speak of. Worth the $15. They are padded around the edges which makes them nice to wear.

I always used to put tape on them for my AFF students that wear contacts and he said that there is no need to do that. I wonder where the tape thing comes from.

I use Kroops goggles with contact lenses, and buy the type without the brass side vents.

With those side vents, if you turn your head sideways in freefall, the wind rushing in at that angle can blow a contact lens right off your eyeball.

I've had this happen a number of times. However, the lens has always just stuck to the inside of the goggles, so that when you get to the ground you can wet it down and let it soak to get it pliable again, then pop it back in your eye.

I use Kroops goggles with contact lenses, and buy the type without the brass side vents.

With those side vents, if you turn your head sideways in freefall, the wind rushing in at that angle can blow a contact lens right off your eyeball.

well...why not try flexvision then???

Soft ones? I used to jump in hard ones, Saw a friend of mine fall over on a landing and bash his face, and it looked like he'd been attacked with a cookie cutter... Don't they make hard ones anymore?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

They do still make the hard ones. Gear-store has them in clear called rigid, but all the rest are nice and soft and comfy. I can imagine those edges being bad if they were a hard material, but I've never had problems with the soft ones over a few thousand jumps (even with the occasional high speed encounter with the ground :o)
Miami

Same here, no problems so far.
And hopefully there won't be any problems either. I do NOT want to loose a contact lens at altitude. Vision -11 + cylinder with both eyes is not fun without correction B|

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Same here, no problems so far.
And hopefully there won't be any problems either. I do NOT want to loose a contact lens at altitude. Vision -11 + cylinder with both eyes is not fun without correction B|

I picked up a pair of Curv-X sunglasses at Para Concepts a couple weekends ago, picked up a sport band that keeps it around your neck as well. Total investment was about $17.

In freefall (RW) they worked great, and my contacts never felt like they were getting dry. Plus, they didn't fog up under canopy (they did just a bit in the plane, but once the door was open they cleared up). I placed the band up to the folding part on the arms, tied a simple knot behind my head and then put the NVertigo on. I don't think I will be going back to goggles anytime soon.

best part? I tested them out in the car on the way home from the dz - hit about 100mph, stuck my head out the window!

I had a pair of googles tear right down the middle of the lense after one jump. I'm sending them back to kroops. I don't want them. I paid top dollar for them at the DZ too.
That shouldn't happen should it? No impact and they were not on that tight. Do you think they will replace them? Who makes them?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

crack away!!!!

It's my experience that by the time my Kroop's goggles start to crack down the middle, the lenses are scuffed up enough at that point that they need to be replaced anyway. And they are cheap enough that it doesn't bother me to throw a pair away every 100 jumps or so. The old ones are good for keeping dirt out of your eyes when working underneath your car, or doing something in your shop.

To each his own.

I really like the Flex Z's. They are almost gelatinous when warm and therefore form perfectly to your face. I've never taped the holes and don't have any trouble with my contacts. My only bitch is that they are about $15.00, and the rolled edges around them wear out pretty quick. I make em last longer by running a bead of superglue around the edge. They last a long time then.

I have a pair of the Aviator 3 in 1s. I like how they fit, plus you can change out the lenses in them to clear, tinted, or yellow-tinted (actually really good for overcast days).

The only problem with them is that if I'm doing any kind of FF in them, and not wearing a helmet, twice they have popped a contact out (but one stayed in the goggles, so not a huge deal). I can do FF with them as long as I wear a helmet, since I guess the helmet holds them down on my head better.

MB 3528, RB 1182