hisgoofyness

Learning To Freefly: Sitfly DVD

"quite well" means I've learned to do it on my own, not that I perform the maneuvers with any level of expertise.
Hence the reason that I mentioned I've used a coach to improve my skills, and why I've been reading and watching DVDs to learn more about how to continue to teach myself "quite well" on my own.

All I can say is "f#$@! amazing." Any of this attitude in the forums I moderate, your butt would be banned. Attacking a newcomer for simply wanting to buy a 60 minute DVD for $40.00 rather than spend over a grand for an hour of tunnel time in the summer? Or for being proud they figured a maneuver out by themselves? Or for looking for additional educational/informational resources...? Pathetic. Or maybe merely ridiculous.
I originally had the idea these forums were for information and encouragement. Lesson learned.

Wow. I just got done reading this thread and was absolutely dumfounded by the arrogance and negative attitude. >:( Read the thread title, neither the original poster, nor DSE were asking what your opinion was on learning how to freefly. All they were asking for was if watching the DVD served as a tool in their quest to learn how to freefly and become better flyers overall.

The answer to their question is a resounding YES! Watch the DVDs, they're are exceptionally well made and very detailed, with examples from computer generated animations, wind tunnel flying, and actual skydives. Will it replace going up in the sky or wind tunnel with good coaches? Of course not, we all know that.

There's no need to be condescending in your attitude and get your 500-jump-wonder undies in a wad. As someone with "more experience" you should be a better ambassador to your sport. You won't see any proficient flyer have the attitude you've displayed throughout this post.

Ben & Spot, let me know if you have a hard time getting this DVD. I live 20 mins from SkyVenture Orlando and will be flying there next Thursday and Saturday...I will gladly pick up a couple of the DVDs if youd like. PM me for more details.

Cheers!

Jairo

PS...you can PM me for where to mail my 1900-jump wonder T-Shirt. :D
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

I don't remember attacking you, nor do I remember criticizing you for wanting to buy a video. Actually, I think it's a good idea. I myself learned a lot from watching videos. Wrongway and I spent an entire winter back in the day watching freefly video after freefly video frame by frame. So breeeeeeeeeeeath, olav, breeeeeeeeeeath.

If you wonder about or question our sarcasm revolving around your comments on your learning progression, I am sure you can dig around and find the same reaction to several dozen other "newbies" in similar threads. I'm curious as to what coach has you working so hard on your headdown already. It's more than just jump numbers, it's experience and knowlege that hoenstly doesn't come over night, my friend. There is a serious safety point on mastering your sitfly as a recovery position before even attempting HD. And of course, mastering your belly as a recovery before moving on to any other axis at all.

You know it's funny... I can name several people in this thread, including myself, who learned the same lesson you are learning right now. Open your mouth and you will be heard. And for people to not say anthing to you, especially about lurking tandems with 50 jumps, would be doing you a major disservice. But, alas, you will prevail I'm sure.

I dunno, man. I just find it amusing. Forgive my sarcasm.

I'm out.

All I can say is "f#$@! amazing." Any of this attitude in the forums I moderate, your butt would be banned.

If you read up in the thread, I did give a warning to stop the arguing. Having an attitude is not against the rules here though. I don't agree with the negativity but I'm also not going to over-moderate the forum as long as no one is breaking the rules.

I originally had the idea these forums were for information and encouragement. Lesson learned.

We hope that everyone who comes here enjoys the forums and gets out of it what they are looking for. There are thousands of threads where people offer encouragement but you're also going to run into instances where people disagree with you or don't give you the reaction that you were hoping for. You just need to learn to ignore those posts instead of getting worked up about it.

If there is one thing about skydivers, most of them have strong personalities and will definitely give you their opinions. Some of the people here have definitely given me a few more grey hairs! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

to those whose minds are closed........ you would be wise to show a more open-minded attitude ......

oooooommmmmmmm

oooooommmmmmmm

oooooommmmmmmmm

ooooooommmmmmmmm

(I apologize for the picture title - was used in another -here to be unnamed - forum. Poor guy just wants to watch some good clean footage to learn from. Visualization is one of the strongest tools in learning any skydiving discipline. I can point to several world champions in various disciplines that advocate visualizing skydives several times a day as part of their training. None of them I would argue with about the value of good visual tools in training.)

who is it really serving to tell another to 'relax' or 'open their mind' anyway?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You guys are going to make me lock this thread because of your silliness. Behave!

sorrrry - and, BTW, I'm not seeing any grey hairs.......

silliness on a Friday is good anyway

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My advice is to buy the DVD. Study, and read as much as possible! It will translate into a faster learning curve in the air.

Get to the DZ and spend some time watching people. You will be able to, in a very short time, pick out the good instructors and the people that will help you learn.

Avoid like the plague, someone how feels compelled to tell you how good he is.

I would also avoid the opinions of people who have three times as many posts as jumps.

No matter how good a skydiver someone is, you still have to spend hours with them on the ground, compared to minutes in the air.

Jump with people you like, and enjoy being around. Remember why we do this, because it’s supposed to be fun!