hisgoofyness

Learning To Freefly: Sitfly DVD

Have any of you experienced peeps here seen this DVD?

I am just starting to experiment/learn to freefly. Is this a good tool? I have had a couple of coach jumps, and plan to get many more; but I thought this might be good "homework"...

What do you think?

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

Ive got both the sitfly and backfly dvd's of this series and I must admit that they are awesome. They show 'textbook' positions in both the sky and wind tunnel.

A great buy, id recommend it to anyone looking for an instructional freefly dvd.

Where can I find these DVDs? They're not listed on the classifieds?

You can buy direct from Skydive U, or somewhere such as ParaGear or Square1.

I just ordered mine from ParaGear as they had some other goodies on sale that I combined with it.

save your money and spend it on tunnel instead...

I do intend to get coaching as well as attend a tunnel camp. But with limited funds, the DVD sounded like a good investment if the instruction is based on fundamentals.

My primary goal is to not develop bad habits that I will later have to correct.

I had my best solo head-up jump this past weekend. I only corked twice, and when I did I went in to a ball on my back. Big thanks to Chris C. and Ian D. Their advice has helped me a great deal.

From what I understand the DVD follows similar training to that which I received from Ian. To me it only made sense to spend $50.00 on the DVD.

Just my $0.02 as a "poor white trash" skydiver...

save your money and spend it on tunnel instead...

I got no problem with doing both. Nearest tunnel is 9 hours away in Las Vegas. Nearest DVD player is an arms length away. I'm confident I can learn from both.

Thanks for the pointers, guys!

um... Stockton is less than 600 miles from Skyventure Colorado which, unless you drive like an old lady, you can get to in less than 9 hours. I'm "confident" you can't learn to freefly from a book, video, or doing a bunch of solos.

You _will_ learn a 1000x faster in the tunnel which is a more efficient use of time and money in the pursuit of vertical flight. You can stare at little figures all day long, but until you are in the wind with someone standing over you correcting your body position while you feel the air... it's all just theory.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

....given that I've already learned to sitfly and fly headdown quite well as a solo, ground coach, reading books, this forum, talking to others, practicing on the ground, and having a few minutes tunnel time in Orlando...

What I'm struggling with is my transitions, and I'm pleased to watch a video that costs me very little in comparison to visiting a tunnel where I don't know the people, have no reason to have faith in their teaching abilities, let alone the time off of work. Whether you agree or not, I see it as a valid investment in myself and my skills, as opposed to driving off to an unknown. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're wrong, but bottom line is it's my dime. If I glean ONE thing from the information presented in the DVDs, then I'm ahead already.
Tunnel time is probably a better investment when I have the money and time required to travel. For now, 40.00 isn't much.

Being condescended to doesn't bolster my confidence in SkyVenture Colorado, either. Condescending coaches don't sit well with me.:|

Just my .02 as a poor indigenous skydiver. ;)

....given that I've already learned to sitfly and fly headdown quite well

um yeah, at 52 jumps you're ready for the next VRW comp... :D:D:D

have no reason to have faith in their teaching abilities

Did you ever think about asking?

Being condescended to doesn't bolster my confidence in SkyVenture Colorado, either. Condescending coaches don't sit well with me.

I don't work for SVCO at all and I also don't offer coaching to those whose minds are closed to learning. I'm just offering you some free advice. There are some world-class tunnel coaches/freeflyers there dude, you would be wise to show a more open-minded attitude should you decide to go there.

Freeflying is not packing; you can't expect to buy a couple books or a video and think you are going to learn it. The $40 you were about to spend would be better used on jump-tickets and/or coaching.

Learning to freefly is a long road and the only way to become proficient is to practice.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Matt, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. You could offer me all the free advice in the world, but coaches that are filled with themselves usually end up wasting my dime while they show off, thinking they're "teaching" me something. Been there, done that, not interested.

....given that I've already learned to sitfly and fly headdown quite well

Did I say I was *good?* Did I suggest that I don't believe I have tremendous room for improvement? Or did I suggest that I've learned to perform the moves that get me into the initial positions required to be able to sitfly? Your arrogance is astounding.

Hmm...coupla grand to travel to a tunnel for a coupla days with the chance of "coaching" from a smarta$$ like you, or XXX no-cost flights in my plane plus a 40.00 video....
Gee...tough choice, yeah?

I've learned from kids with 20 jumps that kick ass over skydivers with hundreds of jumps. Number of jumps isn't an indicator of body control, merely an indicator of many times you've chucked your body out of an airplane and walked away.

There are absolutely world-class freefly coaches out there, guys like L. Bates who live in a tunnel in winter and coach/compete in summer. The guy is a total star, but you'd never know it, because he treats everyone with respect. In all my flights with him, I've never once heard him utter a bad word, or condescending tone to anyone, "dude."

On the other hand, it's summer and maybe I like a 40.00 video late at night when I'm relaxing and want to fill my brain with something other than "American Idol."

Since I'm in the sport for self-enjoyment, I don't care much about competition.

As a coach at SkyVenture Colorado, you're definitely the kind of ambassador their competition needs. Hopefully a lot of people view this thread.

You'd be wise to make fewer assumptions about who you're pissing at, "dude."

I see you missed my point entirely... but I'm not surprised.

Your arrogance is astounding.

I wasn't the one claiming to be able to have a solid sit and "pretty good" headdown at 50 jumps. At 50 jumps you don't even know, what you don't know yet about freeflying and its dangers.

People with your attitude usually end up being the ones that backslide down the line of flight and then bitch about a close-call under canopy because someone "opened too close to them".

Maybe when people are trying to help you, so you don't kill yourself or others, you should try to be a little more open-minded. Talking about headdown at 50 jumps is just plain retarded. Tracking all over the sky is not headdown.

I see you also don't have any gear listed... what kind of rig are you doing all these shit-hot freefly jumps in? Is it safe? Can you tell me which rigs are or aren't and why? Have you ever seen someone have a headdown reserve deployment first-hand? I have; it's not pretty.

What you dismiss as arrogance is experience talking.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I see you missed my point entirely... but I'm not surprised.

Your arrogance is astounding.

I wasn't the one claiming to be able to have a solid sit and "pretty good" headdown at 50 jumps. At 50 jumps you don't even know, what you don't know yet about freeflying and its dangers.

Neither did I claim to have a solid sit, now did I? Are you sure I've only got 50 jumps?

Have you ever seen someone have a headdown reserve deployment first-hand? I have; it's not pretty.
Umm...No....haven's seen it. On the other hand, I have done a head down deployment very early on and blew my brand-new Silhouette in half. So I've got an idea.The bruises and pain were a lesson in themselves.

What you dismiss as arrogance is experience talking.
What I dismiss as arrogance is arrogance. You're right, I don't know anywhere neareverything there is to know, and likely a lot I don't know yet that I don't know. And I make no claim to the contrary. You attribute that to jump numbers, because you're more interested in using those as a gauge of merit when in truth, it doesn't hold the importance you assign to it. Nor do you know who I'm jumping with, what they've accomplished, what they watch, teach, criticize, offer, and help with. Nor are you aware of other related or non-related experience I may or may not have. Believe it or not, there really are others out there who are exceptionally talented, aside from whatever talent you may or may not have. But you apparently have all the answers, "dude."
Ironic. My instructor has 7500+ jumps, most as a freeflyer. She constantly tells me how much she learns with each flight. But I'm supposed to pay attention to you and your 500?[:/] She read this thread and just walked away shaking her head. Same as I now need to do.

Do you always get this worked up over someone wanting to view a DVD on a subject in which they are interested? If so, I deeply pity you.It's gotta suck to be that pathetic.
Since you don't fly with me, you've got nothing to worry about. It's just a DVD that *I* bought. You don't have to watch it with me.

Relax. Take a deep, calming breath. Step away from the computer. Drink less caffeine. Sleep more. Life is short as it is. Misbehave a little if it helps you blow off stress.

save your money and spend it on tunnel instead

40 bucks in the tunnel is about 2 minutes.

In the long run, I bet you can learn more off watching one of Joao's DVD's several times than you can in two minutes of tunnel time.

And before you ask, my gear is freefly friendly.

I have gotten coaching from Joao, Jon Chisholm and Mike Swanson. None of them would ever post the pieces of shit you just did to this guy.

Maybe you're a better flyer or coach than any of them?????
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

You can't have it both ways... on one hand you say jump numbers mean nothing and then say I don't know what I'm talking about since I only have 500ish jumps. So, which is it?

I can literally fly rings around a lot of people with more than twice as many jumps as me since I have almost 11 hours of tunnel between Perris, AZ, and CO. You know what, who cares, I don't compete and I don't make any money skydiving, I'm a pure fun-jumper.

BTW, I'm not agitated at all, you are only listening what you want to hear. Just because your "instructor" has elevetybillion skydives, doesn't mean anything with regard to _your_ ability. My AFF instructors included former world champions and a current member of Airspeed. Does that mean I have some magical talent. Nope. You better keep that ego in check lest you get in over your head and crater. Head over to the incidents forum and you'll find a good example of a "natural" freeflyer that went in with a no-pull at 100ish jumps. :|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

quit being so confrontational...

Hydroguy isn't being confrontational, he's being sensible. He's not freaked out over someone watching a vid. Gotta say though, your passion for something so small suggests you're probably either incredibly good at what you do, or incredibly deluded. Passion does that. But it's just a $40.00 video. Actually, $80.00, cuz I bought two. But I bought "Willing to Fly" as well, so maybe my 130.00 purchase will get me 4 mins of tunnel time value, and at the end, I'll be able to train my own falcon, too. Or she'll teach me to fly.

Like I said before...sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and drink some green tea.
Watch a vid. Just not one on sit or back flying.
Maybe all that time in the tunnel has warped your sense of being a nice person? Socialize more. It's good for the soul.

I am sorry to have created drama in this forum. This has become a prime example of why I rarely venture out of the bonfire and events forums anymore.

I ordered this DVD as well as Trace 101.
Will these alone be method of training? NO.
Do I intend to get coaching? Yes.
Will I ever get in the tunnel? Yes, a camp is #1 on my Christmas wish list... B|
Will these videos help? I hope so. I can't see where some of the world's best flyers giving advise and visual examples on a DVD is a bad thing to study...

As many on these forums have said before. It is always best to have more communication with your instructors, S&TA's, & coaches who "KNOW" you and your abilities, than with strangers on the internet.

I hope one day to meet all of you. Make a jump together. Then after the planes are tied down, have a beer and share constructive criticisms...

I am sorry to have created drama in this forum. This has become a prime example of why I rarely venture out of the bonfire and events forums anymore.

Will these alone be method of training? NO.
Do I intend to get coaching? Yes.
Will I ever get in the tunnel? Yes, a camp is #1 on my Christmas wish list... B|
Will these videos help? I hope so. I can't see where some of the world's best flyers giving advise and visual examples on a DVD is a bad thing to study...

As many on these forums have said before. It is always best to have more communication with your instructors, S&TA's, & coaches who "KNOW" you and your abilities, than with strangers on the internet.

I hope one day to meet all of you. Make a jump together. Then after the planes are tied down, have a beer and share constructive criticisms...

For the record, you didn't cause the drama. That was someone else.
I too, ordered the DVDs (both of them) Looking forward to watching them.
Regarding the rest of your post, I agree. Coaches, tunnel time, video of the jump, talking to more experienced skydivers that have exhibited maturity and knowledge...all have added up to a great jump experience and useful input to help better your own skills.
Tunnel camp is on my Xmas list too, because I don't fly the plane in winter, and the DZ here closes down too. Winter is the best time for those of us that live at high altitude.
Looking forward to receiving that T-shirt, Matt.

I learned all my head-up freefly exits from watching Trace 101, getting a mental picture for what I was trying to acheive, and then hucking myself out of the Otter over and over.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary