jvair

Freefly Ball weight?????

If I'm not mistaken many people have talked about this before. You can probably do a search.
My only issue is safety.
As long as your S&TA, DZO and the pilot know what your doing I see no problem. They would be aware of your skills or you can always bring in someone who is familier with flying with a ball.
The pilot being the biggest cause he has the most to lose, his license and possibly his career.

I'll tell you how to make one if you are allowed to jump them at your DZ ;)

There's a good reason to have a ball master of sorts with you at first. If it hits the ground, it's a cannon ball. It will penetrate what it lands on so what it hits has to be predetermined.

Your jump numbers are around 500. Depending on how much training you've done, that may or may not be enough to deal with a ball. No offense to the numbers... it's simply true so please don't take offense to that.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have two ball jumps and I believe josh has the same but we were niether primary or secondary catchers. We are looking to make and have a ball for the times when we are at another dz and jumping with those who do have the ability to catch. Or down the road when we are ready we will have the ball ready.

Yes they are allowed at our dz but only over the swamp.

Unless you happen to above one and it prematures for what ever reason..... Then alot of gun shot going at 155mph to some lower speed is going to be coming at you....like a shotgun :P

I don't reckon using a Vladiball changes the basic rules for jumping a ball.
Still something you have to deal with and stress over a little!

I don't reckon using a Vladiball changes the basic rules for jumping a ball.

Exactly. It's the same as jumping with a Cypres. It's there as an extra precaution in case something goes horribly wrong, but ONLY in case something goes horribly wrong. It's not something to be dependent on, and it certainly doesn't lower the qualifications on who should be flying with it.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I'll help ya here. What you do with it is your biz, just be safe about the area that you are jumping it in and make sure you check with your DZO and the pilot.

Ok, now, its not about weight. Its about tail length.

Fill the ball, and I mean FILL the ball with #9 lead bird shot. The fuller the better. This is because the stability of the ball is dependent on how dense the core is. If you do not fill it and leave voids, the ball's CG will shift in freefall and it will drift side to side. This makes it very hard to catch. So after the ball is full, tie a knot in the end of a pull up cord, stuff the knot in the slit in the ball, and super glue the opening closed.

Now the trick is cutting the tail to the length you need for your desired fall rate. Note I said DESIRED fall rate, not YOUR FALL RATE. This is important because you should be able to fall as fast or as slow as the ball is going to go. If you cannot keep up with a spaceball at 190 and catch it, dont jump one. If you cannot fall as slow as 140 and keep stable and catch it, dont jump one.

I have a ball that has a tail that is 3.5 inches long. It rips at 170-175. Its fast and fun. Not a beginner ball. The best thing for you to do is find someone that has a spaceball that he has already jumped and can do proficiently. Go out with him and let him jump it right in front of you. Find out the fall rate of the jump and that can be your baseline for figuring out what would fit your needs best.

The trick here is not finding out the formula by yourself. Its just not safe unless you in the middle of MOAB or AZ desert. Still there is the possiblity that you could hit something. And besides, losing a ball has a stigma to it. Dont be that guy. And I dont mean follow it to 1000' trying to catch it, I mean be good enough to catch it, no matter the fall rate.

Good luck dude....spaceballs are a shitload of fun. And carry a huge responsibility. Be safe.

ps. but to answer your question.... my balls weight 1lb 4-5 oz. Yeah........big heavy balls I have. Their furry too....

We are looking to make and have a ball for the times when we are at another dz and jumping with those who do have the ability to catch.

Anyone with the experience to be a ballmaster with others has their own ball to play with.

Or down the road when we are ready we will have the ball ready.

That sounds like those guys with 100 jumps who buy a Stiletto 120 "for later on, when they are ready". Later on always turns into next week, which sometimes turns into an incident.

When I make a ball, I use a gram scale and measure the weight to the gram. I also do a couple other things that are very important that are not mentioned here. I don't think just filling the ball with shot until it is full is a good idea. A small amount of weight difference can make the difference of 10 or 20 mph, which can be the difference of catching it or not.

Do not just make a ball on your own, guess at the weight, and then go see if it is right. Trial and error is NOT acceptable in catching a ball, and this is NOT a game to take lightly. Find someone who is experienced in flying with a ball, and who also has a ball. If you then want to make a ball, copy their's exactly and weigh it on a scale. That said, each ball will still fall a bit different, even if they are "exactly" the same.

ALWAYS have an experienced ballmaster accompany you. Not catching a ball can end in a terrible outcome of severe property damage or could kill someone.

Make a ball to exact specifications. Don't guess.

Get an experienced ballmaster to go with you.

Clear it with both the DZO and pilot.

Let others on the plane know.

Coordinate jump run and groups.

Make sure the spot gives you plenty of room to play over an unpopulated area.

Discuss the dive. Know your place. Follow the plan.

Think. Be careful.

The best thing for you to do is find someone that has a spaceball that he has already jumped and can do proficiently. Go out with him and let him jump it right in front of you. Find out the fall rate of the jump and that can be your baseline for figuring out what would fit your needs best.

The trick here is not finding out the formula by yourself. Its just not safe unless you in the middle of MOAB or AZ desert. Still there is the possiblity that you could hit something. And besides, losing a ball has a stigma to it. Dont be that guy. And I dont mean follow it to 1000' trying to catch it, I mean be good enough to catch it, no matter the fall rate.

Agreed CCowden. Always have a ballmaster or a very experienced ball handler when going out the first time.

All this talk about balls makes me want to go jump one.B|

Especially that pimpin one!

-
-

Hey Chris, what's the exact weight you prefer to use? PM me if you wish.

I'm one that just packs it full and starts with a specific length tail.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

hey,
:(
i would reccomend to first understand a bit more about the flying aspect. you match the flying speed of the ball - not the other way around. otherwise you are not ready to fly WITH a ball.

use a ballmaster when you want to make a ball jump.

and certain descriptions of "how to make a space ball" public on the internet is a really really stupid thing - just to look cool.

i am sorry not to have the "nice post" - but this is ....

fly free and think more.
barbara
1st school of modern skyflying.

Ok, now, its not about weight. Its about tail length.

:S

keep this in mind...

if u lose that ball and it peppers or kills someone on the ground...

1. the pilot will lose his license
2. ur dz will be sued. any waiver will not be binding due to gross negligence.
3. u will be eligible for manslaughter charges

at 600 jumps no matter how talented u r u have no business jumping with a ball let alone giiving advice to others.

the ball is a training aid, not a toy.

edit: typos

Levin....Keep this in mind.....

No matter what you think about my post on a personal level, its correct. Regardless of jump numbers, Mr. Skygod.

Your statements are an echo of what I and others have already said. A little late dude. Your comments are coming across as a rant because of it.

And yes, I am talented enought to jump spaceballs. Working on my AD B routine. Does that piss you off that much to hear it?

Boo Hoo.

jumping with a ball not only requires skill but also a great deal of respect for what u r doing. by posting instructions for making one in a public forum u clearly do not have the right attitude or a clue as to the ramifications if something goes wrong. u may have the skill but u lack the mindset to be jumping with a ball.

Mr. Skygod.

ok jumpwonder :D

again, it's a training aid, not a toy.

Its people like you that make the sport ugly sometimes.

Nothing to offer but negatives.....looking down on the lesser jump #'s. Regardless of # or currency, you degrade those that you have never met, nor jumped with. You make your statements based on conjecture and lack of actual facts.

What I said still stands accurate and true. If you have something new that you would like to share about the topic, please, by all measures, adorn us with your knowledge.

I realize that a ball is a training aide, and that is why I would like to jump one. I would never dream of trying to jump a ball by my self, but from time to time I do jump with people who are more than capable, and have experience with a ball. As for the spot , we have a large area of woods and swamp around my home dz, and the other dz I visit.
As for posting this on the internet, I expected any repleys would be PM, But I should have specified that.

Its people like you that make the sport ugly sometimes.

Nothing to offer but negatives.....looking down on the lesser jump #'s. Regardless of # or currency, you degrade those that you have never met, nor jumped with. You make your statements based on conjecture and lack of actual facts.

What I said still stands accurate and true. If you have something new that you would like to share about the topic, please, by all measures, adorn us with your knowledge.

yawn

you have no respect for the ball. there is a reason why instructions for making one are not readily available. your instructions for making one and your post are horrible. u took a stab at me with the skygod comment. i returned the favor. i wasn't offended. sorry u were. i'd offer u a cyber klenex if could.

a last statement.

i would ask the dropzone.com team to take off the post of "jose" - of how to do a spaceball. please.

and it is true - if you do not think of what you do before you do it - you are a DANGER for everybody jumping with a ball. i do not care about your skill - the attitude is wrong.

think before you post such an information : WHO can get the little "recipy"? - EVERYBODY. even aff students. i do not want to say more - YOU should START thinking.

i am very sad about such a unresponible behavior from freeflyers who think or at least say they understood their responsibility.