windcatcher

What jump # did you start freeflying?

around jump 50 or so. I'd recommend at least 50 jumps on belly before you go to sitfly... remember, freeflying may be fun, but belly skills save your LIFE.

emergency bailouts, tracking, high speed mals, etc all happen on your belly.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have spent nearly 1000 skydives trying to perfect my FS skills. A couple of local golds and a world meet later I came home to play with some freeflying.
I completely suck at it, but it is fun.

Doing some wingsuit stuff too.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

I started feeflying at around jump number 35 and have been since then. Would i change the way my jumping has progressed? No. Would i suggest you go about it the same way i have? That's up to you to. But here's a story:

A mate of mine and i are about to do our 200th jump and we find out another guy is doing his 600th and wants to do something cool. We get ten or twelve people together and start to plan a 3D dive. What we're going to do is go out the plane on our bellies, form a round and then at a certain altitude transition to a sit. (Most of us on the dive are people that have only ever done freefly).

Well, we get out the plane and there are legs and bodies everywhere. We finally mange to get a four way round together and the next dude that tries to dock on it takes it out completely. The dive was a disaster (although funny) and eventually became a big way sit.

To this day it bothers me that with 200 jumps we couldn't get together long enough to form a simple round. I love freefly, really, i don't see myself ever going up on a four way jump. If i get to a DZ that doesn't have freefliers i'll go wing suiting. But it bothers me. I want an AFF-I rating and a TI rating one day. Before i even think about it i'll do loads of time in the tunnel and learn to fly my ass off on my belly. Until then i'm freeflying!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

jump 21 but I have since gone back and learned to fly my belly a bit more since flying on your belly is part of freeflying...

Thank you Skinner for making us do belly exits in the freefly league...an important lesson learned...

also what happens when you are freeflyer wanting to do hybrids ;)

cheers and blues

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

i started freeflying after all my relative work jumps with coaches. on my a license checkout we went into sit fly no more than 10 feet away from each other for 3000 ft. totally bitchin.

i am not the one to say what you should or shouldnt do, i primarily got into the sport for freeflying, i dont understand how people could spend careers on their belly. but, thats just one mans opinion.

anyhow.
cant wait to jump again.
-e

Dont die!

Great point to make. I am solid in my sit, but yet I still only will go out with very experienced FF'ers. When you have 2 people with little experience, it can be very dangerous if someone corks or gets above or below you. SMACK!

Not only that, you also have the "fly all over the sky" situation. If we're talking two newbie sitfliers, they may not notice their relative motion (relative to other more stable groups) and then they might slide into someone elses airspace. I've had that happen to me before and having some dudes drop by you in free fall while you're under canopy is no fun at all.

Back/forward/side sliding can be a serious issue to other groups, especially if the fliers have lost sight of the line-of-flight or just haven't "thought about that"

I started at around jump 40 or so, but jumped with a coach until I could fall straight down

Jump # 17. :S Sounded like a good idea at the time, but I really wish I would have done more bellyflying to get a better grasp of things before I tried going vertical. Shit, if I didn't have my tunnel time I wouldn't be able to fly on my belly. :S

There are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 threads on this already. B| Run a search and check out what everyone had to say.

Oh, and there was a post by DaveLepka on the opposite view that you should see too, very informative. Check it out.

Have fun!! :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I'll chime in here, because I've been thinking about this sort of thing lately....

I have close to 600 jumps, I'm pretty competent in my sit and I'm getting there in HD, but my belly skills are sad...very sad.

The thing is, I haven't regretted my decision to start freeflying a little early (about jump 40 or so) until right now. Because there's an AFF course going on at my home DZ this summer, and I've ALWAYS had it in the back of my mind that I eventually would love to have an AFF rating. Unfortunately, I can't even fly up to a formation and dock on my belly, and there's no way I'm going to be ready at all for the course unless I invest in some SERIOUS tunnel time.

So, something else to think about....do you want a rating like this so you can share your love of the sport with students, and teach them how to fly? Because if you start concentrating on freefly, then your belly skills won't be up to snuff later on without some serious work. I guess you could start after you enjoy yourself for a while, like me...and you'd definitely pick it up faster, but come jump 600 when you want to start expanding your opportunities in the sport, it might bear consideration to get your belly skills now.

Of course, you could always create a freefly team with two other kickass females instead of being an AFF instructor....;) (insert shameless plug for Team Censored here)

mua!

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Yup.

For me, it's all about awareness. Where you are, what's going on around you, and how close you are to other groups. Are you tracking up/down jumprun? Did some muppet get out 3 seconds after you?

I don't think you can get that in 30 jumps. It's taken me over 200 to get to stage where I don't think I'm dangerous - I know where everyone is and where the next and previous groups are. While still working hard on my own jump.

On a slightly different note, in Australia you're required to do RW training to get your B licence, and until you get most of the way through the training table you can't jump with non-instructors. To me it seems like a good idea - get you safe in the sky before you speed everything up...